TOPIC:

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 05 Feb 2009 04:27 #262283

• StreetfighterKz
  • StreetfighterKz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
PLUMMEN wrote:

thats gonna be nice when its done!B)

Besides redoing the licence plate bracket I'd like to eliminate the gap left between the light and the tail section...or at least reduce it some.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 05 Feb 2009 04:38 #262284

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225

Ya can talk the talk, now can ya walk the walk, huh

I'd be more than happy to get this ball rolling but as you know, I'm on KZR police watch right now so I have to mind my P & Q's.... :laugh: :laugh:

With that said, you are now officially on the Photo Chopping hit list :evil: .... Welcome to the club!

And I don't want to steal any more of StreetfighterKz awesome project...

StreetfighterKz, are you going to use bulb or LED blinkers?

If LED, as I just found this out on mine, you'll need a load equalizer (I believe that's what they're called) for they won't blink for you.... Not a big deal, just a heads up...

OMR
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 05 Feb 2009 04:48 #262285

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
StreetfighterKz wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

thats gonna be nice when its done!B)

Besides redoing the licence plate bracket I'd like to eliminate the gap left between the light and the tail section...or at least reduce it some.

Later, Doug

i think as long as you match it up where its uniform all the way around it will look good,youre making tomuch progress i better start doing something today i guess !:laugh:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 05 Feb 2009 06:54 #262301

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
Old Man Rock wrote:

StreetfighterKz, are you going to use bulb or LED blinkers?

If LED, as I just found this out on mine, you'll need a load equalizer (I believe that's what they're called) for they won't blink for you.... Not a big deal, just a heads up...

OMR

This is my second tail light for the project. The first tail light was a dual round setup that I was going to make my own LED boards with integrated turnsignals. The new light will probably get a LED board with integrated turnsignals as well but because of the molded in reflector it'll be a little more difficult.

I already have the front signals picked out, but not bought, and they will recieve LED bulbs as well.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 07 Feb 2009 06:36 #262688

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Its nice to see that u are back at her Doug.
The tail section is coming along nicely. What is the light off? It looks like a nice fit,and stock like too.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 08 Feb 2009 14:48 #262990

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
mark1122 wrote:

What is the light off? It looks like a nice fit,and stock like too.

Don't hate me....but its an aftermarket replacement for a H&%&$* D&$&+*#&!@# Fatboy. It was, however, made in Taiwan so in my mind it's still of Asian descent. Now noone steal my idea!!:angry:

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 09 Feb 2009 05:55 #263228

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
Dont worry about that bro. I must say b, it is a very close fit. Its great that u are moding the tail anyways so u can make it a perfect fit.
I bought a zx12 tail lt. it seems too fit well when u look at it from behind but i dont like the side veiw fit.
I may not use it.I just have too much to do right now. i wont likely have time for anything that is not esential this winter.
I need to find time to build a motor still. Then i need to repair my zx6 front fender. i carved it up a lot to make it look more suitable for a KZ. It wasnt a perfect fit and the bolt hole cracked and ran up the fender. So i will have to reinforce it with fiberglass and improve the fit.
I'm glad to see you have got your interest in your project back. Keep it up. Good luck.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 14 Feb 2009 13:24 #265030

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
Got to work in the garage some today. I spent about 5.5 hours out there. I didn't get any one task done but I must have BBAADD (Bike Building Assembly Attention Deficit Disorder) becuase I can never fully finish one thing before I move onto something else.

Anyways, I almost completed one task I started about 4 months ago. I don't really think the stock inner fender would look all that great with a 190 tire and an extended swingarm. Plus the inner fender curves in taking up valuable underseat volume. So I had a sheet of plastic that I had left over from another project on my 1000 and I ended up making a cover for the rear frame tubes. I mocked it up with cardboard and then used a hacksaw to carefully cut the plastic as straight as possible. I used files to clean up the edges and round the corners. The extra at the top will be cut off and I plan to add about 12" going back along the rear frame rails to cover up the gap between the part I already made and the rear tail section.

Here you can barely see the mounting screws....can you say flush mount?

I plan on running in the AMA/Dragbike Streetfighter class. They require an oil catch can if you don't have a crankcase breather venting into the airbox. Because of the mono-shock, bigger Oddessey battery I plan on running, the CO2 tank for my shifter, space is a little limited, as can be seen in the following pictures. Normal catch cans would be too big and don't have the all fittings I need for my venting plans (I plan on running a vent from the stock breather and another vent from the cam cover. I'll also have a hose running from the catch can to a filter at the back of the bike.)
So a pair of scissors and a couple old cereal boxes later and I have a rough mock up of a catch can...

Here's the start of the actual catch can. I'm using scrap 1/8" aluminum sheet to make it. I could probably use thinner material but this is what I have laying around.

Later, Doug

PS, Don't mind the rust on the frame as I'm goint to have it blasted before powder coating.
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 14 Feb 2009 13:33 #265033

• PLUMMEN
  • User
cereal boxes are da bomb !:laugh:
Attachments:

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 26 Feb 2009 09:58 #268232

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
Thought I would give a little update so you guys know I haven't forgotten you.

Been gathering some parts but haven't had time to do anything on the bike lately.

I bought a "used" but only mounted, never had exhaust gases pass thru it, V&H Pro-pipe from bob_z1. (Thanks Bob!) I won another 8" GS1100E headlight assembly off of eBay for less than $23 to my door. :woohoo: Tomorrow I have to go pick up my Tiger Racing chain guard from the UPS terminal.

I also go bored at work and played a little with the 3D functions in AutoCAD.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax
Attachments:

Last edit: by StreetfighterKz.

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 26 Feb 2009 15:48 #268272

• PLUMMEN
  • User
thats a slick caliper mount !B) B) B) B) B)

My '76 z900 'Strip-fighter...sorta 26 Feb 2009 17:01 #268293

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
Keep it up bud.B)
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)