Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 10 Jul 2015 17:45 #680328

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2655
On some bikes the turn signals don't act as running lights, only the tail light.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 10 Jul 2015 17:56 #680330

• SmokyOwl
  • SmokyOwl's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11

swest wrote: On some bikes the turn signals don't act as running lights, only the tail light.
Steve

Yeah, I don't have anything for rear running lights.
From the looks of it the red center light should be lighting up, as it has two sets of elements in the bulbs.
What happened to posting photos off your computer? I took a pic of what's up and there's no upload for pics, only from a link.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

Last edit: by SmokyOwl.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 10 Jul 2015 18:41 #680332

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
You are correct. The tail light should come on when the engine is started. The rear turn signals do not as they are blinkers only; just the from turn signals come with wiring for running lights and blinkers. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 11 Jul 2015 09:39 #680392

• SmokyOwl
  • User
Well I'm pretty sure I've found the problem. Fuse was out. Previous owner took out the rear taillight assembly and it was replaced. Fairly certain when this happened the fuse was blown, and the same thing happened to him as happened to me this morning: They don't make the fuse anymore. I searched 2 auto parts stores, 2 bike parts stores, ace hardware, and radio shack, and nothing. For the time being I put a 10 amp fuse in that's longer than required (proper amperage fuse though), and no problems so far. I did find a proper sized spare in the fuse cover, but I don't want to risk putting it in just to have it blow again as it's my only spare. Checked out the wiring in the rear and didn't find any damage, but we'll see what happens with the fuse I put in.

It was REALLY frustrating going through the multi-packs of fuses with 1, 3, 5, 7, 15, 20, & 30 fuses. If anybody knows where to get the proper sized fuse, please let me know.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 11 Jul 2015 11:32 #680404

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I'm using the longer fuses too. I bought some duel element turn signals from Z1E. $28 so now all my lights are running lights. I had to go LED to cut down the power draw. High visibility is what I want.
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 12 Jul 2015 13:02 #680548

• SmokyOwl
  • User
Another day, another issue. I'm hearing ticking from the right side of the engine. Might need to actually take it into the shop for that one, we'll see.

On good news I bought a jacket & new helmet today. The Bell Rogue helmet in matte black, and a BiLT jacket. Not too thrilled about the jacket, still really hot wearing it despite all the mesh it has on it.
I didn't buy the helmet for the front shield thing, I liked the half helmet weight with the stability of a 3/4 helmet. I might use the shield on the highways when I start going down those roads or if it doesn't work out I'll get a small windshield.

Happy weekend.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 13 Jul 2015 20:48 #680766

• SmokyOwl
  • User
I just HAD to show off this photo I just took an hour ago, it was just so awesome. I am contemplating riding in the rain near my home just for the experience. I need to know if the bike can handle rain or not, and I need to learn how to handle the bike in the rain. Do I just take more time turning, braking, & accelerating or are there some guru tips that I don't know about?

Attachments:

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 13 Jul 2015 21:02 #680769

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Wait for a while. The front brake takes few revolutions to work when wet and the rear can slide out from under you in a heart beat.
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 13 Jul 2015 22:32 #680774

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

SmokyOwl wrote: Well I'm pretty sure I've found the problem. Fuse was out. Previous owner took out the rear taillight assembly and it was replaced. Fairly certain when this happened the fuse was blown, and the same thing happened to him as happened to me this morning: They don't make the fuse anymore. I searched 2 auto parts stores, 2 bike parts stores, ace hardware, and radio shack, and nothing. For the time being I put a 10 amp fuse in that's longer than required (proper amperage fuse though), and no problems so far. I did find a proper sized spare in the fuse cover, but I don't want to risk putting it in just to have it blow again as it's my only spare. Checked out the wiring in the rear and didn't find any damage, but we'll see what happens with the fuse I put in.

It was REALLY frustrating going through the multi-packs of fuses with 1, 3, 5, 7, 15, 20, & 30 fuses. If anybody knows where to get the proper sized fuse, please let me know.

Harbor Freight sells the glass buss fusses for cheap. The problem is they suck and are not easy to find, especially on the road. Do yourself a favor and update to a blade style fuse panel. You can buy the one shown at some auto parts stores for under$20. If you want to spend a pit more, there are some other options on this site: www.cycleterminal.com/fuse-box-kits.html

Once you do that you can do this to the old fuse panel

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
Attachments:

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 14 Jul 2015 13:01 #680827

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 436

SmokyOwl wrote: I just HAD to show off this photo I just took an hour ago, it was just so awesome. I am contemplating riding in the rain near my home just for the experience. I need to know if the bike can handle rain or not, and I need to learn how to handle the bike in the rain. Do I just take more time turning, braking, & accelerating or are there some guru tips that I don't know about?

Now that
is an amazing photograph
well done !!!

riding in the rain - watch out for all road markings, manhole covers which always seem to be situated on corners, wood surfaced bridges and all road surface after a dry spell will have an oily film .
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 14 Jul 2015 16:09 #680855

• SmokyOwl
  • User

JR wrote:
Now that
is an amazing photograph
well done !!!

riding in the rain - watch out for all road markings, manhole covers which always seem to be situated on corners, wood surfaced bridges and all road surface after a dry spell will have an oily film .

Thanks JR,

The road by my place is lightly traveled during weekdays, has no paint, no gravel, with a 15mph limit. I haven't noticed any manhole covers, I don't think there are any.
Dangers on the road are that is has shallow (1") pot holes and is uneven and bumpy in areas, very curvy, and has a very large hill (est. 100-150 feet) at the end that circles back downhill on the return ride back (road ends shaped like a noose). The hill is heavily shaded by trees.
All in all I think it's great for training: avoiding small obsticles in the road, has a couple stop signs (one is on an uphill angle, stalled the bike there more times than I'd like to admit) If I don't want to take the hill there's a pair of large parking lots to turn around in, and I can practice tight corners on rough or smooth surfaces depending which lot I use.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 14 Jul 2015 16:20 #680857

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Be careful of wet leaves. They are very slick. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)