Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 03 Jul 2015 16:39 #679306

• SmokyOwl
  • SmokyOwl's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
I got that PDF file TexasKZ, thanks for that. I was taking educated guesses on where stuff was to change the oil, so now I won't be so blind when changing my oil tomorrow. I did find a copy of the manual for the shaft version for $35 on eBay. I'll probably save some oil and give it to that blackstone company that evaluates oil. If anybody here's done that let me know how much they need (I plan on setting aside a quart for now).

Progress update 7/3/15
- I passed the exam test for my temporary riding license. *headbanging with loud metal guitar riffs*
- Still don't have a title nor insurance (tried to call insurance company but they were closed, I'll try again Monday)
- KZJOE900 and 650ed, and I'm pretty sure a few more of you will be happy to know that I ended up removing all the braids of the handlebars and levers. Was going to leave the handlebars, but couldn't do that and install the anti-cramp lever thing on the throttle.

So I went for a little cruise by the park that's about a block away, 15mph zone with fairly curvy roads for about 2 miles. There's a small parking lot that nobody uses (unless the place is really packed) near the end where I practiced tight cornering. Once I got the hang of it I'd say I was doing pretty well. Pleased with myself I followed a car back to my house. My turn was coming up on the left, I saw four riders coming my way so I stopped for them with my directional on. I release the clutch and I stall, dammit....then the bike starts to lean...sh i i i i i t.......I catch it, but it's too late and I can't hold it, and I slowly let it down and get off. I don't dare look to see if the other bikers saw me. Pulled it up as fast as I could (kinda proud of myself about that) and tried to turn it over, won't start. Dammit. So I ride it with the clutch in down the shallow hill completing my saddest turn ever. Quickly thinking, "I bet the engine flooded when it was tipped", I cracked the throttle while hitting the start button, and it turned right over...and I nonchalantly put it into first, took it down the rest of the block and into the driveway.

What a day.
1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SmokyOwl.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 03 Jul 2015 18:39 #679320

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2644
A little trick on picking the bike up. Turn the bars all the way into the bike, crouch down and pull up using the bar AND rear grab bar. Use your legs to do it. Even my daughter can pick up Bossie. :woohoo:
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 03 Jul 2015 21:36 #679343

• SmokyOwl
  • User

swest wrote: A little trick on picking the bike up. Turn the bars all the way into the bike, crouch down and pull up using the bar AND rear grab bar. Use your legs to do it. Even my daughter can pick up Bossie. :woohoo:
Steve

A little fuzzy on your meaning. I picked it up by just grasping the handlebars, locking the front brake, and lifting with my legs. If I grab one handlebar and the rear grab bar (which is tough with the sissy bar attached to it) I would think I'd be off balance with my arms stretched apart like that. And also confused by your phrase "turn the bars into the bike"....so turn the front wheel towards the ground or towards the sky?

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 04 Jul 2015 06:47 #679374

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Towards the ground. The bars can bend. When it did fall over and a guy tries to help and grabs the handle bar, I go off on him. GET AWAY FROM ME! :evil: Not just because I'm pissed that it happened but also I don't want him to make my super bike bars into Easy Mary bars. Know what I mean? :whistle:
Steve

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 04 Jul 2015 08:43 #679382

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
Here's a video on lifting the bike
Pete
www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...35b5nnlVgB9LCeccJlLQ
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 04 Jul 2015 10:51 #679401

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

pete greek1 wrote: Here's a video on lifting the bike
Pete
www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...35b5nnlVgB9LCeccJlLQ

I would absolutely loved to have seen the kickstand fold back up while he walks the bike back up !!! LOL
Also... it is a hell of a lot easier to pick the bike up if it has mini crash bars and or bags... but I've had them roll over so far that one (or both) tires are not even touching the ground, especially if it hits hard enough to bend the bars in, That is a real bite then and $$$
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Last edit: by missionkz.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 04 Jul 2015 11:32 #679410

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Time for a beer. Good fourth of July.
Steve

Attachments:

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 05 Jul 2015 15:58 #679551

• ed spangler
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome from East Tennessee!!
You'll get lots of help on here!
TennesseeZ B) :woohoo:
Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Last edit: by ed spangler.

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 05 Jul 2015 22:11 #679589

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23

ed spangler wrote: Welcome from East Tennessee!!

Where about in east tn are ya Spangler? I'm right outside Knoxville, in oak ridge....

Welcome to the site owl! Great to have you, be careful!
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 06 Jul 2015 03:44 #679605

• ed spangler
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
  • Thank you received: 29

Randombeat wrote:

ed spangler wrote: Welcome from East Tennessee!!

Where about in east tn are ya Spangler? I'm right outside Knoxville, in oak ridge....

Welcome to the site owl! Great to have you, be careful!

Ahhhhhhh....the "Secret City"!! I was born there in Oak Ridge!!, admittedly its been a Long time ( 65 years ago )

I Live in "Seymour",Tn. between Knoxville and Sevierviille!! Not too far from Oak Ridge.!
You should come to the TIME WARP TEA ROOM on Old Central in Knoxville some Tuesday between 6-9PM!! Vintage Bike Night, lots of old Bikes, great people, great food and there are always a LOT of Older Kaw's mixed in the vintage crowd!! Usually there are KZ 650's and at least between 7-10 Kaw 900's and 1000'0!!, I try to ride mine to there a couple times a month. PM me if you want to know more about this! Also Biker Rags on Kingston Pike has a LOT of events at their store there, and the owners take rides and document them for the folks like me that "Follow" them, theythen email folks who want the info.... the route,pictures ,video etc. You may already know all of this ,if you do my apologies!
Regards!!
Ed Spangler
Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 06 Jul 2015 15:49 #679721

• SmokyOwl
  • User
I got the nerve up this weekend to ride on general public streets. It went well. Found a couple issues though:

How the heck do I use the center stand? That got aggrevating quick when I couldn't get the slightest lift trying to use it.

I couldn't find a locking mechanism on the bike at all. Any quick, simple, & cheap suggestions for locking?

New rider, first bike, 1982 KZ1100 06 Jul 2015 16:02 #679723

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Try putting the front wheel on a piece of 5/8 or 3/4 plywood. Holding the handle bar and the rear grab bar with your foot pushing down on the center stand arm, pull back while lifting the back end. With the front wheel raised, it should be easier to do. After a while you won't have to cheat. The fork locks are worthless. Get yourself a good lock and chain or a Kriptonite lock. They even have one for the drilled disks. Back in the 70's I forgot I had it locked. Me and my little brother went down NOW. :woohoo:
Steve