TOPIC:

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 27 Apr 2024 15:57 #898173

• Jimbo900
  • Jimbo900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello,

This will be my second post to KZRider.

In 1985 I joined the military and put my 76 KZ900 in storage.  In the back of my mind I always thought that after a few postings I would get back to her.  A few postings turned into a lifelong career and here I am retired and that old girl is still buried in the back of a garage. 

I’m back in Ontario and will be going to take a look at her next week!  I’m hoping beyond hope that she is salvageable.

This seems like a great place to share the journey.

I have been away from motorcycles for a very long time, so expect some amateurish questions as I bring her back to life. 

The first being, where to start with a bike that’s been in storage 40 years? Is there a recommended procedure that will not cause any damage?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jimbo

1976 KZ900A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 28 Apr 2024 10:07 #898192

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1880
The “first” most nondestructive thing you can do is post pictures. I’m sure others, as I would, enjoy seeing the barn find, albeit in your our barn. First suggestion in my opinion would be to pull the tank off and de rust it. Apple cider vinegar, metal rescue, and and item suggested by a member but I have no experience is called Etch and Prep by Kleen-Strip. Remove the plugs and put about a tablespoon of Marvels Mystery Oil or ATF in each cylinder and let that soak while you’re working on other items, don’t attempt to turn the engine till it’s soaked a good while. More than likely the carbs will need a thorough breakdown and cleaning, Nessism, Zed1015 and myself can guide your there. Then brakes also need to be a priority. Can’t go if ya can’t stop. Lots of knowledgeable members with tons of talent are here and all give solid good advice, I’d trust any advice or direction you receive. Good luck. Oh yea, tires! Don’t do more than around the block slow speed runs till ya get good fresh rubber. Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Wookie58, Jimbo900

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 28 Apr 2024 10:31 #898194

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
Yeah, what they said...and welcome to KZR from Texas.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimbo900

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 28 Apr 2024 14:02 #898198

• Jimbo900
  • Jimbo900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Great advice, thank you, Sirs,

Definitely I want to document this and happy to share pics.

Not going to lie, when I found KZRider recently it was the story of your 76 900 that caught my eye and inspired me.

Presuming my 900 is salvageable after all this time, it begs the question what do I want the restoration endstate to be? A full original back to stock build? (Probably beyond my skillset, budget and timeline).  Something with the stock look, but a sprinkling of reproduction parts? (Is that frowned upon). Something that is not stock, with aftermarket accessories and tweaks that personalize it to me? (If the bike is too far gone this might be my best option).

First things first, let me get to it, take some pics, assess it and lean on the collective advice and expertise here, to move ahead.

Cheers,

Jimbo

1976 KZ900A
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Last edit: by Jimbo900.

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 28 Apr 2024 16:00 #898203

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 262
Welcome to the fun Jimbo.  Don't be afraid to jump right in on your KZ900.  The guys here on KZrider really know their stuff and are happy to help.  I am finishing up "reviving" not restoring my 74 Z1, just have to sync the carbs and put new tires on it and I'll be riding it.  I put it away in the mid 90's and decided to get it going again after retiring.  A year and a half later it's ready to ride.(worked on it one day a week)  Couldn't have done it without answers from the members here.  Definitely start with Marvel Mystery in the cylinders as suggested above.
There are plenty of build threads you can look up for ideas and motivation.

Read Nessism's post  "New owner Things to Know"  for some good suggestions.

Doesn't matter how deep you want to go - from just getting it running to full restoration or anything in between- the important thing is you'll be riding again!  I had mildly hotrodded my Z1 back in the early 80's so that's the flavor I stuck with.
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Last edit: by sf4t7. Reason: Post name

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 28 Apr 2024 16:03 #898204

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2641
This is my Z1 after the wreck June 13 1986 on a Friday it has a salvage title So I might as well get all the goodies I wanted when it was new. Sure it's a Franken bike but it's mine and I wouldn't have it any other way. 
When asked if I would sell it the look on my face shuts them down PRONTO. 
In my retirement I'm "RIDING THE PISS OUT OF IT." 
Steve

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Jimbo900

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 28 Apr 2024 16:51 #898205

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 648
Welcome to our little interwebs corner of motorcycle madness.

Looking forward to pics.

How many miles on it?

Suggest running & Ridin' it before delving deeply into the motor if possible; tuneup, carbs & valve lash.  You might be surprised how good it runs.

There's a lot to be said for doing a refurb vs a resto.  Get the critical  systems operational,  clean the original cosmetics while leaving the patina of age intact, and the end state may likely be very attractive,  reliable and mostly period-correct.  Fun on a (relative) budget. Once refurbished,  one can always proceed with a full-on restoration ($) or customization ($+) if desired.

Good Ridin',
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, Jimbo900

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 28 Apr 2024 19:54 #898209

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 511
One thing to add to what Mikaw said.  The very first time you try to turn the engine over, turn it by hand very slowly using a 17mm wrench on the timing advancer nut (under the right side points cover), turning clockwise.  Turn the crank slowly at least two full revolutions making sure there is no resistance.  Don't force it if you feel resistance.

I picked up an engine where someone came along and gave it a test spin with the kick lever after it had sat for a while.  It turned out one of the valves was frozen in the valve guide, and that valve head broke right off.  Something to watch out for.

The condition and amount of work you're going to need to do really depends on how dry the storage place has been over the years.  If it was pretty dry, there is a good chance it would start right up if the engine turns over freely.  I know from experience that a KZ can sit unused for 10 years and fire right up.  At that point, what's another 30 right?

But I can also say that after 10 years the brake system will need to be rebuilt, and the tires should be replaced.  So that's probably a good place to start.

Oh, and the cross-head screws on the KZ look like Phillips but are actually JIS screws, and a standard Phillips head screwdriver can really messes up the screw head.  A good JIS screwdriver is required.  I really like this one:  www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9KWF2?th=1

Some threads:
www.kzrider.com/forum/faq-wiki/618026-new-owner-things-to-know
kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/615444-jis-vs...screwdrivers?start=0
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Mikaw, Jimbo900

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 28 Apr 2024 20:22 #898210

• Stereordinary
  • User
  • Thank you received: 134

The very first time you try to turn the engine over, turn it by hand very slowly using a 17mm wrench on the timing advancer nut (under the right side points cover), turning clockwise.  Turn the crank slowly at least two full revolutions making sure there is no resistance.  Don't force it if you feel resistance.
With the spark plugs out makes it easier.
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 28 Apr 2024 21:00 #898212

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 262
+1 on the JIS screwdrivers.  I also like the Vessel brand, and suggest both the #2 and #3 sizes.  They also offer their "impacta" versions which have an impact driver feature. 
And BTW make sure to use the 17mm nut on the crank end to turn the engine over, NOT the smaller bolt head, the bolt part breaks easily.  (Several of us have learned the hard way) 
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 29 Apr 2024 05:25 #898217

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
there's a guy in London Ontario sells the JIS tools . Good quality.
www.gofastinnovations.com

Also , google "cvmg paris rally 2024".  Paris Ontario fairgrounds in June. Vintage bikes. Swap meet on the saturday, lots of interesting bikes, parts stuff people etc. The JIS guy from the link above is usually there.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, howardhb, Jimbo900

76 KZ900 in storage since 1985. The journey begins. 29 Apr 2024 09:31 #898221

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 435

there's a guy in London Ontario sells the JIS tools . Good quality.
www.gofastinnovations.com

Also , google "cvmg paris rally 2024".  Paris Ontario fairgrounds in June. Vintage bikes. Swap meet on the saturday, lots of interesting bikes, parts stuff people etc. The JIS guy from the link above is usually there.

There is also a swap meet this coming Saturday at the same spot.

cvmg.ca/Kitchener-Swap-Meet