Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ750E vs H 17 Sep 2022 21:15 #874031

• Elfarm98648
  • Elfarm98648's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
I also forgot to mention that the headlight mounting is different on the E vs the H. If you are swapping to the E stem you will need to pick up some fork mounted headlight ears. This is on account of there is no mounting bolt hole in the bottom steering stem for the headlight mount to mount to. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750E vs H 18 Sep 2022 06:05 #874041

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
In case you aren't aware the 750E has a headlamp lower mount bracket. I happened to see one of those on EB last week, NOS.  It's a part I've never seen before & seems to have a couple of guides for the brake lines.  There's also a fork cover bracket w brake line guides but your Ltd should have that already.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...adlight-80-kzy-50-e1 >> #39

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ750E vs H 18 Sep 2022 07:13 #874051

• Elfarm98648
  • User
Martin, yes I figured it out that it is different during the install. I don’t think that whole bracket and mess looks appealing. I think the headlight ears will be a much cleaner overall look, I plan on buying a set soon that slip over the forks, then the upper clamp will slide over the forks to lock it in place. I will try to remember to update everyone with how it looks. 

KZ750E vs H 17 Dec 2022 10:24 #877907

• Michel3007
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi Elfarm,

Have you finally completed the swap with your front fork from LTD to E ? I am planning to do it on my LTD since I have found an E complete front fork but I would like to know exactly what parts will need to be swapped. So far, if I am correct:
- the lower and upper trees
- the tube and fork leg
- the headlight ears (are these the one that slide on the fork tubes ?)
Could you tell me exactly what is needed ? Also, any thoughts on the driving with the new fork ?

Cheers,

KZ 750 H2 LTD 1981
GPZ750R1 1982

Last edit: by Michel3007.

KZ750E vs H 18 Dec 2022 05:11 #877933

• martin_csr
  • User
my mistake. ha ha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michel3007

KZ750E vs H 18 Dec 2022 07:24 #877943

• Elfarm98648
  • User
Hello michel, coincidentally my fork ears arrive Monday so for the last 1k miles or so my headlight has been mounted on the old H bracket and zip tied into place. The ones I bought slip over the fork tubes like you mentioned earlier, I’ll update the forum once they arrive and hopefully fit well. 

The swap requires:
E tank
Trimming the petcock lever to swing over carb bodies since the E tank will move it forward enough to contact the body limiting range of motion. 
E upper and lower Steering stem
Optional:
steering stem bearing upgrade(you’ve got it all apart so you have literally nothing to lose)
E fork tube lowers(I opted not to swap these as the hassle of switching is not worth what is gained)
epoxy lining the inside of the tank(completely up to the owner)

I do like the new larger tank very much, learning where to swap to reserve and where my limits are as far as gasoline definitely has a learning curve. Longest I have personally went is 160 miles. My bike averages 40mpg so that’s 4/4.3 gallons used. 

my honest thoughts, if you can do the swap for less than $200 then I say it’s worth it. It’s honestly no different when riding between the tanks once you do the steering stem swap. However I have spent probably $400 on the swap but that includes body work on my tank to properly fix it and line the tank to prevent rust.

KZ750E vs H 19 Jan 2023 02:58 #878985

• Michel3007
  • User
Elfarm,

I'm in the process of collecting the parts for the swap.

Would you have pictures of your LTD with E tank and steering stem on ? That would be great to see, especially the seat on tank situation :D

Cheers
KZ 750 H2 LTD 1981
GPZ750R1 1982

KZ750E vs H 31 Jan 2023 15:50 #879535

• Elfarm98648
  • User
I really apologize for taking so long to reply here. Honestly no excuse except being lazy and not having any pictures. 
Here it is on the final install. The rear of the tank does push up further which does push the front of the seat back a bit. This does lead to the wrinkles you see on the side. Honestly it doesn’t bother me, maybe one of these days I will recover it with some supportive foam lol. 
Attachments:

KZ750E vs H 03 Feb 2023 10:12 #879740

• Michel3007
  • User
Cheers Elfarm, that's completely alright, I was in no hurry ;)
From what I can see, it seems that you haven't changed the headlight bracket in the end, no ? is it not necessary then ?
KZ 750 H2 LTD 1981
GPZ750R1 1982

KZ750E vs H 03 Feb 2023 20:40 #879767

• Elfarm98648
  • User
Well being completely honest that photo was from the tank mock-up the very first time it was installed. Heck in that photo it had no gasoline in the tank. I did end up installing the different headlight mount however I would not recommend the one I used. Granted I believe it looks better than the factory 750E mount however with this one you lose the ability to lock the headlight adjustment into place. How tight you get the side mounting bolts for the headlight dome is how much you lock it in place. 
another reason I do not recommend it is because it does not fit tightly onto the forks. The forks are 36mm and the mounting holes are 38mm so it does rattle if you do not take up the slack. The way I chose to do it was to stick 2 zip ties vertically up the shaft of the tube and this provides enough support for the bracket to become solid. You still have the issue of it not being tall enough to fit between the lower stem and upper stem so I turned again to zip ties to take up the slack. It’s really a solid mount and the zip ties are not noticeable at all. However like I said I would not recommend it to anyone looking to make the swap. 
Here is a photo of the zip ties on the bottom side of the mount. As you can see it’s not really noticeable.
Attachments:

KZ750E vs H 04 Feb 2023 00:44 #879768

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1720
Elfarm if you want to fix your headlight position you could use something like this (fog light stabilisers for rally car) 

Attachments:

KZ750E vs H 04 Feb 2023 08:00 #879771

• martin_csr
  • User
Will the stock 750H headlight bracket work with the 750E triple?  Asking because in case you aren't aware there was a fork ears type of HL bracket available for the 750H. see pic. I installed one of these on my 81 KZ650-CSR which was used on some 750H models.  I don't know if any 750Es had one like it.

1982-83 KZ650-CSR headlight bracket. also some 750H Ltds.