Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Keihin orifice cleaning diagram 30 May 2020 15:07 #826954

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • I_Tig_in_piece's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Sup forum!! Haven’t been here in many many moons. All is well (aside from our current world conditions) Hope you all are the same.
After sitting for the past 4 months, and summer practically here, figured I’d hop on the is and go get a fresh tank of gas. Was a bit harder to start from sitting, but after a few attempts she finally showed some life by idling on one cylinder then the second coming to life seconds later. I’ll admit, I didnt do a proper storing checklist prior other than having the petcock turned off and battery disconnected (I actually have a switch under the tail that kills all power) and having the bike sit upright on a swingarm stand.
Long story short, gas station is less than 2 miles from my shop and bike rode just fine. Filled up the tank w/91, start her up and leave the station. First stop light, less than 20 yards from the pump, I start going normally and the bike starts to lose power. It was more of a gradual loss as opposed to fuel loss cause the bike didn’t hiccup or backfire In the carbs. But just to be sure I looked to see if there was fuel in the line, which there was. No bubbles or obstructions and I’ve got the line routed so fuel won’t have to fight gravity. Tried to restart, no go. Not even a sign of combustion. Waited like 10mins and tried again, fires right up like nothing happened so I continue back to the shop. Let them bike cool for a few to check lash which is exactly where it was last time I did it.
I don’t think it’s a fuel problem but was gonna pull the carbs tear them all down and clean the holes. I tried the search looking for the fuel path diagram for cleaning purposes I’ve used from here before for the stock Keihins but couldn’t find it? After the carbs, I’m gonna check the ignition system since those parts are 35+ years old. Leaning more towards the ignition module or coil.
Thanks for your time forum all always!!
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Keihin orifice cleaning diagram 30 May 2020 16:20 #826959

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
I have an 1997 Honda CB500 twin now in my personal work shop that has sitting for 2 year in the basement. Fu*king Ethanol fuel!!!
See the pics and you know what you have to do next to your bike tank and carb....

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Keihin orifice cleaning diagram 01 Jun 2020 12:51 #827081

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • I_Tig_in_piece's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
eeew, yeah I’m not expecting that much corrosion build up since the bike has been sitting for less than 6 months. But then again...fuel, air, ambient temperature and the humidity along with the various metals these all come in contact with, do unexpected things at unexpected times. So who knows? I did however find a petcock rebuild kit since mine has started to leak when in operating position (lever pointing down) Thankfully my bike is always parked inside my shops office during long periods of not riding.
Now on a side note, idk when I’ll be able to start cleaning the carbs and checking electrical since a strict curfew has be set in place in my city due to the rioters(not protesters any more once they started robbing Walmart’s and setting businesses on fire) and have conflicting info as to when it’ll be lifted?
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.

• Page: