Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 12 Sep 2019 16:36 #810778

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
By old_kaw: .... This 1975 H1F looks like a brown color to me, yet the link lists it as a "candy yellow" with all of the layered colors. It always looks brown to me. ...

In the parts diagrams the H1-F tank colors are listed as C. Blue & C. Gold. The tank in your pic looks brown or bronze to me, but I guess it could pass for gold. I haven't delved much into the Triples paint or anything, but the process is kind of interesting. From KawTriples.com & PaintWorkz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 13 Sep 2019 09:49 #810805

• 78z1Joe
  • User
  • My man cave is my garage....
  • Thank you received: 21
Wow , brings back memories when you would see these colors riding the streets ( and in front of bars)
Wish I had photos......
1978 KZ 1000
1982 GS 300 training bike
Previous Rides...
75 RD 350
72 CB 500 Four
72 SL 125
71 CT 70
69 3 1/2 HP mini bike

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 13 Sep 2019 10:42 #810807

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
2011 Paris Triples Line up (Ontario). Kind of neat.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 13 Sep 2019 11:12 #810808

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

martin_csr wrote: By old_kaw: .... This 1975 H1F looks like a brown color to me, yet the link lists it as a "candy yellow" with all of the layered colors. It always looks brown to me. ...

In the parts diagrams the H1-F tank colors are listed as C. Blue & C. Gold. The tank in your pic looks brown or bronze to me, but I guess it could pass for gold. I haven't delved much into the Triples paint or anything, but the process is kind of interesting. From KawTriples.com & PaintWorkz

I would believe the gold over the yellow paint designation. Gold looks more like brown than yellow does by a long-shot. The paint in the paintworkz link looks brown from that angle too (European green / yellow ). He does some awesome OEM looking paint.

That tipples video has some really nice old scoots, I like the music too, just don't like it quite that much. :pinch: (it blasts in the video)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: typo's

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 14 Sep 2019 09:04 #810829

• PaintWorkz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 68
Old kaw said...…..I totally agree with this. I had wondered how many layers KHI used, and this answers in so many ways. This 1975 H1F looks like a brown color to me, yet the link lists it as a "candy yellow" with all of the layered colors. It always looks brown to me. (might be my color blindness)

The transparent candy yellow is the top coat. The base coat is really a dark grey, not black. The mid coat is a micro fine silver flake. Over the flake the Candy yellow looks gold, and over the dark grey base it looks brown. White was the base color for the wide stripes.
www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Last edit: by PaintWorkz.

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 14 Sep 2019 09:51 #810831

• old_kaw
  • User

PaintWorkz wrote: Old kaw said...…..I totally agree with this. I had wondered how many layers KHI used, and this answers in so many ways. This 1975 H1F looks like a brown color to me, yet the link lists it as a "candy yellow" with all of the layered colors. It always looks brown to me. (might be my color blindness)

The transparent candy yellow is the top coat. The base coat is really a dark grey, not black. The mid coat is a micro fine silver flake. Over the flake the Candy yellow looks gold, and over the dark grey base it looks brown. White was the base color for the wide stripes.

The brown / gold / yellow / brown thing makes more sense using your info. So I imagine the tank was first coated in a gray, then the wide white stripes were then applied over it.. with the yellow mid color over all of it. So depending upon someone's level of color blindness and light angles, it could be designated as yellow, gold or brown. :)

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 14 Sep 2019 13:28 #810841

• PaintWorkz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 68
Actually the factory painted it white first, masked over where the wide stripes would be. Then the gray base and mid coat silver flake, then unmasked it , shot the candy yellow. Last steps were the lettering and thin white stripes and final clear.
www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 15 Sep 2019 07:41 #810866

• old_kaw
  • User

PaintWorkz wrote: Actually the factory painted it white first, masked over where the wide stripes would be. Then the gray base and mid coat silver flake, then unmasked it , shot the candy yellow. Last steps were the lettering and thin white stripes and final clear.

Thanks for your insight on the paints. I do appreciate the info, and have done enough painting on my own to know that nice paint is expensive. All of the chemicals and colors add up fast. (why I had my buddy paint it) I fixed his paint booth. He makes, paints and sells custom video game controllers. The bike painting is a side item.
www.controllerchaos.com/build-your-own.html

Attachment not found

really nice booth:

Attachment not found

What is the procedure / colors to duplicate the 1981 luminous red color? (pictured on rt) I know my painter had no clue, except for the paint chip I gave him.

Attachment not found

Frankly any decent base / clear paint was a huge improvement over the dull OD green rattle can finish it had when I got the bike.

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw.

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 25 Nov 2019 10:51 #814529

• Ejedmo5
  • Ejedmo5's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Another question on this topic.... I have decided to paint this bike myself, I will not be reverting to factory colors as frankly this bike is not and will not ever be a show bike. I don't have much money in the bike now that its running, but I want to have some fun and make it mine.

I have an idea for the paint job and will be using a proper hvlp gun setup. My question is about paint... I plan on doing primer, then black base, masking, silver, metal flake, masking, then a candy bright green as an ode to the kawasaki dirtbike color. Looks good in my head may look awful when done. anyways for the silver and black layers does anyone have any recommendations on paint types or suppliers? I have my supplier picked for my 2 part clear and interclear to carry the candy and metal flake. But automotive base colors are outrageous and buying a whole quart seems excessive for a tank and 2 side pods when its $100 for a quart or more normally. I fear saying the word rustoleum on here but has anyone tried it as a base coat with a hardener and thinned to be sprayed with an hvlp.

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 26 Nov 2019 06:17 #814578

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
I know his name is all over this thread but I would speak to Ralph at Paintworkz
He is a member here and has been our go to guy for all paint related questions .
He also sells paints for our bikes , and Im sure he can do lots of colors
Dont know about pricing ,but any good paint isnt cheap
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 26 Nov 2019 07:17 #814583

• Ejedmo5
  • User
Thanks, I'll see if he replys here if not i may message him directly, I have been looking at Didspade for the flakes and they also deal in tamco paints and clears which seems to be pretty affordable so was planning on going with them. I can't imagine that using an enamel would cause issues in the base layer, but then again dont want to waste time if it does react with a 2 part clear

1981 KZ1000 Factory Paint Colors 27 Nov 2019 07:02 #814641

• Ejedmo5
  • User
I've decided on a 2 part urethane primer then a single stage matte urethane paint. Since this is ultimately lipstick on a pig i figure i'll be cheap, if I ever start getting it back to show room condition then maybe i'll attempt a multilayer paint job and be willing to spend the money.