Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1980 KZ550 C1 LTD Swing Arm Bearing and Sleeve Replacement 22 Jan 2019 16:19 #797326

• LouisDePasquale1980KZ550C
  • LouisDePasquale1980KZ550C's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3

loudhvx wrote: The trouble I've had when attempting things like that is that the act of welding tends to cause the piece to distort as it cools. Did you have to heat the entire piece before welding?

I didn't do the welding myself. One of the experienced, professional welders at my work did. I explained to them what the sleeve was for, and they did the rest. But yes, they did heat the sleeve before welding it. After it cooled I ground it round on a surface grinder. I then took it to our inspection department; and we checked it on the CMM. There was no sign of distortion. At least none of any consequence. Not to say there won't be after the harden process. But when I get the sleeve back from the other shop; we will be checking it again on the CMM. And if we have any concerns with checking like that, we can gain access to air gauges. I contacted several motorcycle dealers and repair shops and inquired what they do in this situation. And welding is what most of them said they did. Some did mention cutting the sleeve down and using a three piece sleeve approach as well. But they did all say that if I had the means to go the route I did, then do so. They said it's easier dealing with the one piece sleeve, rather than 3 pieces. But depending on how the sleeve checks out tomorrow, I may have to go the three piece route.

I really appreciate the info I've gotten from this sight. It has been invaluable. And I'm also glad I came across your warning about the KZ550 valve train. After I rebuild the front forks and get the wheels back on the bike I will be tackling the engine.

My goal is to keep it going at least another 11 years. Both the bike and I will then be turning 50 together (Myself Jan and the Bike Feb).
1980 KZ550 C1 LTD
Central New York
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 KZ550 C1 LTD Swing Arm Bearing and Sleeve Replacement 22 Jan 2019 23:21 #797346

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Sounds good.
Good luck on the repair!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisDePasquale1980KZ550C

1980 KZ550 C1 LTD Swing Arm Bearing and Sleeve Replacement 30 Jan 2019 19:31 #797948

• LouisDePasquale1980KZ550C
  • LouisDePasquale1980KZ550C's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
So the sleeve checked our ok after being hardened; And is back in the bike. Now that it's done and back together; I found a used swing arm off a wrecked '86 EN454 for $14. So now I have a back up. I also went with 2 sets of needle bearings. I'm a big guy, so I figured that would help spread the load on the sleeve a little more.
1980 KZ550 C1 LTD
Central New York
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

• Page: