Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Swing Arm Swap Pro's- Help! 20 Jan 2019 02:10 #797128

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468

nixon wrote: You know far more than I do about Kz's....but is that not a bit over kill for a street bike? I could see going to that extend for a drag bike, but it seems as though a lot of people are using the 5/8's offset without too much additional work...?

A 5/8ths just bolts on .
No real need for the outrigger unless you are producing lots of power and pulling hard on launches etc.
It's to stop premature failure of the output bearing as i'm sure you already know.
All my road going Zeds are running 5/8 ths with and without outriggers no problem but i wouldn't go any wider without.
My next one with 6" rim and 7/8ths will but it's having a turbo also.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by zed1015.

Swing Arm Swap Pro's- Help! 20 Jan 2019 12:51 #797152

• nixon
  • nixon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yeah, I could totally see doing that for a turbo bike but I'll be just bolting it on for this one.

You've been super helpful zed1015, really appreciate it.
One question for you is what have you been doing for the rear brake caliper bracket? Obviously it gets in the way of the rear shock mount so will need to be tweaked a lot. I cut in half and was planning on welding in a pie shape to rotate it out of the way.

What're your thoughts and do you have any pictures of how you've been solving this issue?

Swing Arm Swap Pro's- Help! 20 Jan 2019 13:16 #797154

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468

nixon wrote: Yeah, I could totally see doing that for a turbo bike but I'll be just bolting it on for this one.

You've been super helpful zed1015, really appreciate it.
One question for you is what have you been doing for the rear brake caliper bracket? Obviously it gets in the way of the rear shock mount so will need to be tweaked a lot. I cut in half and was planning on welding in a pie shape to rotate it out of the way.
What're your thoughts and do you have any pictures of how you've been solving this issue?

I always undersling the caliper using zxr , gixxer or one off alloy plate mounts.
I mostly just do 900 and 1000's and am currently favouring he XJR 1300SP swingers with ZXR7or 9 wheels although the turbo is using ZX12 ones.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Swing Arm Swap Pro's- Help! 20 Jan 2019 14:06 #797157

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

zed1015 wrote:
............ I always undersling the caliper using zxr , gixxer or one off alloy plate mounts...........

I notice that it's done that way on many race bikes such as the KZ1000-S1. Other than lowering the center of gravity some by lowering the weight of the bracket and caliper are there other advantages to underslinging the caliper? Thanks. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Swing Arm Swap Pro's- Help! 22 Jan 2019 22:20 #797344

• nixon
  • User
I did a little looking around and can't really find any other benefit to undersling the caliper but it does look like a pretty easy solution instead of cutting apart the bracket and welding in a pie shape to rotate the caliper up and out of the way of the shock.

Swing Arm Swap Pro's- Help! 27 Jan 2019 14:36 #797722

• nixon
  • User
Well, my swing arm is at my buddies place getting all welded up. I'm pretty pumped to get it back and test fit everything, hopefully it works as planned!

I got the 5/8" offset 530 sprocket (16 tooth) from PBI and it is super nice. I was really impressed.

Waiting on ordering the rear 530 41 tooth sprocket until I determine the chain length. I would like to get on ordering all this, including the chain, so I was wondering what length chain you guys have been going with for the 530 conversion with a swing arm swap?

• Page: