Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Can anyone recommend an AFTERMARKET tail light? *PICS* 25 Jan 2019 09:11 #797475

• 650Dude
  • 650Dude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19

rstnick wrote: As far as the wiring, I can't recall the colors off hand for the ZX6E tail light, but one wire should be black/yellow, which is the ground wire. (Now see that the other wires are red and blue. )
The other two wire colors should be similar to the 650's, or not hard to determine which is the brake light and which is the running light.
Connect the red wires together, the blues, and the black, and attached male plugs to the ends.
I used the wiring from a spare stock tail light to attach to the ZX6E light.
Then it can be plugged into the KZs plugs/wiring.
The red and blue plugs can be swapped around if you find you've connected them wrong to

I did it. Almost done with the whole project. It was a lot easier than I expected. Got steel sheet from Home Depot. 16 gauge. Roughly cut that and made a license plate bracket.

The tail light was incredibly easy to mount. Got 2 L bracket for each side, welded them together to made a "C" or "U" bracket and mounted it.

Pics:
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 650Dude.

Can anyone recommend an AFTERMARKET tail light? *PICS* 26 Jan 2019 07:35 #797548

• 650Dude
  • 650Dude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19

rstnick wrote: As far as the wiring, I can't recall the colors off hand for the ZX6E tail light, but one wire should be black/yellow, which is the ground wire. (Now see that the other wires are red and blue. )
The other two wire colors should be similar to the 650's, or not hard to determine which is the brake light and which is the running light.
Connect the red wires together, the blues, and the black, and attached male plugs to the ends.
I used the wiring from a spare stock tail light to attach to the ZX6E light.
Then it can be plugged into the KZs plugs/wiring.
The red and blue plugs can be swapped around if you find you've connected them wrong to the KZ's harness.

More pics:

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Can anyone recommend an AFTERMARKET tail light? *PICS* 28 Jan 2019 21:00 #797783

• Zaddict
  • User
  • Enjoying my Zaddiction!
  • Thank you received: 48
Well looks like I'm late to the party and you found a nice solution. Here's what I did with my 550. Opted for flush-mounted side blinkers to go along with the integrated blinkers in the taillight.

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
K&N Air Filter...

Last edit: by Zaddict.

Can anyone recommend an AFTERMARKET tail light? *PICS* 29 Jan 2019 04:36 #797790

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41
You take your bike to the track right? How much time is it on the road? I don't know how I feel about flush blinkers. My brothers bike has flush blinkers and you can't tell they are there from behind. The previous owner put those in along with some arrow lights above the tail light. Its a neat setup, but the side lights don't seem to do much.

83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)
Attachments:

Last edit: by M_a_t_t.