Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Master chain link missing or old owner replaced chain? 10 Nov 2018 08:24 #793650

• newkzrider18
  • newkzrider18's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Heyyyy everyone,

Again I drive a 1980 kz440 LTD model A.
So in an earlier post I was removing my rear brakes and I came across another issue...
My service manual said to remove the chain by removing the master link. Guys, I looked everywhere on the chain, even on both sides, and could NOT find it. I looked online to double check what I was looking for, but it’s defintely not there.
I am the third owner of this bike, so is it possible they changed it to a chain that doesn’t require a master link?

The thing is, I’ve read everywhere that it is very very dangerous to ride without the master link because the chain can come apart, but I have put 1000 miles on it (and whatever the previous owner had because the chain hasn’t been changed since I bought it) and it has obviously been fine. I am still here in one piece!

So is it possible they changed the chain to one that doesn’t require this?
Or that the master link is gone? (See image)

Here is a picture of a link I found that is different from all the rest that could possibly have been holding the now missing link:
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Master chain link missing or old owner replaced chain? 10 Nov 2018 09:23 #793651

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
What you are holding is the master link. The ends of the pins have been peened. That is MUCH stronger than e clip-style that I bet you are thinking about.
As for riding without one, that is only possible with an endless chain. With any common replacement chain, there is no way to connect the ends without a master link.
What you have is exactly what you want to have.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: newkzrider18

Master chain link missing or old owner replaced chain? 10 Nov 2018 11:50 #793661

• newkzrider18
  • newkzrider18's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I knew there must have been a reason this link looked different than the others! I just didn't know what 'peen' meant :laugh:
Thank you, that relieves me!
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

Master chain link missing or old owner replaced chain? 10 Nov 2018 12:11 #793662

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
That's usually referred to as a rived chain link. It does require the correct tool to do that.

It is the closes thing to the original "endless" chain used by the OEM's.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw.
  • Page: