Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 25 Jan 2016 18:56 #708139

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671

DoctoRot wrote:

Nessism wrote: I'm getting excited about the shocks. Ohlin's USA contacted me today and said the shocks will work great for my application. They swapped out the springs for some stiffer ones and will ship tomorrow. All I have to deal with is making or buying a bushing to reduce the top eyelet diameter. Might be time for some emulators for the front! :D

Who did you go through to get your shocks rebuilt? I picked up a blown Ohlins shock for my Aprilia and need to get it rebuilt.

Sorry, I'm not sure who rebuilds Ohlin's. The shocks I bought were NOS offered on discount because they were originally for a Honda 400.

A friend has a dirt bike suspension business. I'm not sure if he does Ohlin's but I can ask him if you want me to.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 25 Jan 2016 20:15 #708142

• 80B4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 105
These folks service Ohlins shocks, give them a call. I'm sending them my YZF600 Ohlins for a service soon.

www.35motorsports.com
1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctoRot

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 26 Jan 2016 04:09 #708164

• Bowman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36

missionkz wrote: I would venture a guess that 90% of the riders here can't ride their KZ bikes with the factory shocks and springs fast enough to reach their limit. So $500-$700 for a pair of shocks and springs on a mid 70's design....delusional thinking.

I'll turn that on its head. It's precisely because I'm not a great rider and I'm riding a bike with 70's engineering that I want every advantage I can get to help keep the shiny side up.
Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 26 Jan 2016 04:22 #708174

• redhawk4
  • redhawk4's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64

Bowman wrote:

missionkz wrote: I would venture a guess that 90% of the riders here can't ride their KZ bikes with the factory shocks and springs fast enough to reach their limit. So $500-$700 for a pair of shocks and springs on a mid 70's design....delusional thinking.

I'll turn that on its head. It's precisely because I'm not a great rider and I'm riding a bike with 70's engineering that I want every advantage I can get to help keep the shiny side up.

I think there's something to that, for the same reason that I have tires with capabilities that are way beyond how hard I intend to push my 70's bikes - if you are only at 40% of the capabilities of your brakes, suspension and tires, that leaves plenty in hand should the unexpected, or a momentary error, occur. While shocks need to function properly, I'm not sure they will make a huge handling difference at moderate speeds, but the other factor is comfort, good shocks will give a much better ride which can lead to less fatigue, which is also a safety consideration. Having said that I still don't see ever spending $1.000 plus on rear shocks, I have no doubt that the difference between a quality set and the ultimate, will not make any real world difference other than on a race track.
1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 26 Jan 2016 04:52 #708187

• Bowman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
This. Plus if you want to go really fast and drag footpegs you're crazy to do that on a KZ rather than getting a modern sport bike. A strangely admirable kind of crazy but crazy nonetheless. Besides, a new or newish bike will be cheaper.
Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 26 Jan 2016 05:51 #708196

• 80B4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 105
I've spent lots of money on motorcycle shocks and never ever regretted it. These older bikes need all the help they can get.
1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 26 Jan 2016 07:24 #708202

• Drooz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

Bowman wrote:

redhawk4 wrote:

Bowman wrote:

I think there's something to that, for the same reason that I have tires with capabilities that are way beyond how hard I intend to push my 70's bikes - if you are only at 40% of the capabilities of your brakes, suspension and tires, that leaves plenty in hand should the unexpected, or a momentary error, occur. While shocks need to function properly, I'm not sure they will make a huge handling difference at moderate speeds, but the other factor is comfort, good shocks will give a much better ride which can lead to less fatigue, which is also a safety consideration. Having said that I still don't see ever spending $1.000 plus on rear shocks, I have no doubt that the difference between a quality set and the ultimate, will not make any real world difference other than on a race track.

Bowman wrote: This. Plus if you want to go really fast and drag footpegs you're crazy to do that on a KZ rather than getting a modern sport bike. A strangely admirable kind of crazy but crazy nonetheless. Besides, a new or newish bike will be cheaper.

80B4 wrote: I've spent lots of money on motorcycle shocks and never ever regretted it. These older bikes need all the help they can get.

I would be the first to acknowledge that not everyone is going to be able or even want to spend big dollars on shocks, suspension bits and tires. I decided that THAT'S where I wanted to, because as some of you have said, I want the security of having parts on my bike that will handle MORE than I can throw at it in normal riding. I want that safety factor 'built in'. I don't push my kz even close to 8/10's on the street, but it's comforting to know that it could handle it. :) I've never regretted spending the $$ on safety. B)

I've also spent a few Saturday's on the track with it to see what it's like to push it closer to the edge, and I have to say it's very rewarding to do so! It's fun to be able to chase the 'sportbike guys' through the corners too!! I can't match their horse power on the straights, but my old kz can more than keep up in the turns when properly equipped! :cheer: I don't want another more modern bike to thrash around the street/track. I wanna run my kz for that purpose too! :P

That brings me to another point. I see lots of guys spending big bucks on beefy engines while running original or only slightly better shocks, springs and tires. That makes no sense to me... but that's just me. ;) My engine internals are still stock. Probably will be for a while yet too. :lol:
'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 07 Feb 2016 02:42 #709790

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
After making a simple adapter bushing for the upper shock mount the new shocks are in place. Something is welded slightly off because the LH shock had to be adjusted slightly longer than the RH side before everything lined up properly. These shocks have a length adjustment so it was easy enough.

The suspension action is greatly improved. They ride a bit firmer than the tired original shocks but I like it. Going to play around with the damping adjustments some more but really happy so far...

Last edit: by Nessism.

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 07 Feb 2016 02:49 #709792

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Excellent.
Im envious :)
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 07 Feb 2016 10:45 #709843

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Setting the correct sag on those shocks will help you get the most out of them. Race tech has a "suspension bible " which I just used to setup my Aprilia with a freshly rebuilt ohlins shock. Made a noticeable difference after tuning.

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 07 Feb 2016 18:01 #709894

• Drooz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

DoctoRot wrote: Setting the correct sag on those shocks will help you get the most out of them. Race tech has a "suspension bible " which I just used to setup my Aprilia with a freshly rebuilt ohlins shock. Made a noticeable difference after tuning.

DoctoRot has the right "prescription" for optimum handling. :P It takes more than bolting on quality bits. Set-up is key. Make sure your front end is up to the task as well. B)

Happy trails! ;)
'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

Rear Shock Absorber Upgrade - Best to Worst 08 Feb 2016 05:41 #709952

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245

Nessism wrote: After making a simple adapter bushing for the upper shock mount the new shocks are in place. Something is welded slightly off because the LH shock had to be adjusted slightly longer than the RH side before everything lined up properly. These shocks have a length adjustment so it was easy enough.

The suspension action is greatly improved. They ride a bit firmer than the tired original shocks but I like it. Going to play around with the damping adjustments some more but really happy so far...

Nice!
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125