Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anyone played with LED's yet? 17 Mar 2007 10:01 #121007

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I saw the oversize pic and automatically resized it before even looking at the rest of the thread :blush:

Back on topic now :)

When converting LEDs, you might keep in mind that the regulator works by converting excess current to heat.

The alternator puts out max power all the time, so the less power consumed by lights/ect, the hotter the regulator is going to get. And I don't think that is a good thing.

Just something to think about :)
KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone played with LED's yet? 17 Mar 2007 16:34 #121125

• AR15Ron
  • AR15Ron's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Well that's a good point, but my thought behind all this was that it always seemed that the alternator did not put out much power. Driving with the headlight on all the time seemed to really drain the battery? At the same time I replaced all the bulbs I replaced the headlight with an H4 halogen which I figured would draw more power than the factory headlight so it may all even out in the end. I'm still running points and factory coils too which I don't think are very efficient compared to the dyna ignition (someday). I just always felt the charging system was weak, which may be there's something wrong with mine. I was planning on testing it once I get it all running again. Thanks for the help with the pics!

Anyone played with LED's yet? 17 Mar 2007 17:07 #121132

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
AR15Ron wrote:

... Driving with the headlight on all the time seemed to really drain the battery? At the same time I replaced all the bulbs I replaced the headlight with an H4 halogen which I figured would draw more power than the factory headlight so it may all even out in the end....

Yep. That's a good reason. But remember also that the wiring is probably pretty corroded, and might not be able to stand up to that new headlight. I ran a whole new line with relays on my 400 when I went to a new modern higher watt light....
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Anyone played with LED's yet? 17 Mar 2007 23:06 #121198

• AR15Ron
  • AR15Ron's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
you know, that might not be a bad idea even if the wiring is fine.. When I used to work in the automotive field I had many cars come back after we swapped the headlight bulbs to those PIAA ultra whites? They melted the sockets!

Ron

• Page: