Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Experimental alternative to a clear tube when setting fuel level. 14 Apr 2021 05:23 #846665

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • slmjim+Z1BEBE's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 597

hardrockminer post=846635If the smell is a concern and potential explosion negates any volatiles...Why not use straight water?  You can simply calculate a different setting.  Without doing the math it would be around 4.5 mm plus or minus 1.0 mm.

Odor is less a concern than fire safety and toxicity.  Handling can be mitigated using nitrile gloves, but fire safety from vapor is foremost & airborne toxicity must be kept in mind.

We have an ancient, whole-house, 1/2 horse belt-driven attic window fan we place at the outside basement door during warm weather that moves a huge amount of air from inside to outside.  Enough that if we don't open the basement (or any) window, the negative pressure in the house creates a back draft in the water heater flue that usually extinguishes the pilot light.  Opening the basement (or any upstairs) window & running the fan when it's cold outside is a non-starter.

We documented the results using tap water in the OP.  See pics.  We'll experiment again this year using distilled water to eliminate the possible variables and mineral contaminants in tap water & calculate from there, switching between water and fuel repeatedly (at least three times) to confirm results.  We just have to do it outdoors while switching between water and fuel while experimenting.

Still looking for vessels that have a bottom drain nipple like the one in the video.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE 
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Experimental alternative to a clear tube when setting fuel level. 25 Aug 2021 07:29 #854320

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35

E15 gasoline has an SG of about 0.76, but gasoline in general can vary between about 0.70 and 0.80, depending on grade, additives and time of year.  Methyl hydrate has an SG of about 0.79, so on the higher end of gasoline and about 4% higher than E15 gas.  The higher SG would cause the floats to ride higher and close the float valve a little sooner.  A difference of 4% on 3.5 mm is 0.14 mm.  I doubt that anyone could visually detect that difference, and in any case it is well within the plus or minus 1.0 mm margin of error.  Sounds like it's worth a test.

Straight ethanol is also .79 SG and I think would be less toxic via inhalation than gasoline and somewhat less volatile. 

Experimental alternative to a clear tube when setting fuel level. 25 Aug 2021 10:03 #854327

• Move0ver
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
I've been tempted by these new releases from PMC out of Japan.  The go on Keihin CR carbs:

Experimental alternative to a clear tube when setting fuel level. 14 Sep 2021 09:35 #855252

• vict182
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone
sorry for my bad english
I am tinkering with fuel level of a z1 carb rack and i am studying all the great info here

I have a thought about to determine the real fuel level to aim for

I think what is crucial is to understand if the horizontal holes of the choke tube coming down from the carb body and are designed to be clear of fuel or under fuel level

Those holes are just around there where the fuel level is supposed to be

In my opinon they look like vent holes which are supposed to be above fuel level just like the horizontal holes in the emulsion tube and in the pilot jet.

If this is correct then the fuel level has to be set just below those holes and the glass method will come very useful for this process

Does it make sense to anyone?

Thank you