Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 16:14 #807767

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Just a quick Q. How do you yellow chromate at your house?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 16:19 #807769

• Nessism
  • Nessism's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
My point of view is related to my experience as a quality engineer working for a major automotive OEM, including 8 years at an assembly plant. I've seen multiple times where a single piece of hair or fiber from a cloth glove was laying across a fuel system O-ring causing a leak path. Of course a car's fuel system is under pressure but still. I don't like messing with gas.

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 16:21 #807770

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member

asphalt900 wrote: Just a quick Q. How do you yellow chromate at your house?

I've got a Caswell's kit and they sell various chromate dips. Blue is for silver parts, yellow, and a black. The yellow/black coloring isn't super durable against abrasion, but the plating itself is pretty good if you prep the metal well.

Homemade Fuel Tees 18 Jul 2019 16:42 #807774

• asphalt900
  • User
You are absolutely correct about problems occurring at any level, these are machines, they are infallible. The opinions I express are just that, my experiences. We will leave it at that, OK. Not here to compete, just share. Good luck with Your sales!! Clay

Homemade Fuel Tees 19 Jul 2019 05:33 #807793

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 597

asphalt900 wrote: Easy peezy, here are some from a set of Early KZ1000 carbs and a Z. Just follow the casting bump imprint left on the old gasket as a templet for positioning of o-ring. Bowl surface has to be CLEAN for the superglue to stick. O-ring does not compromise the height of overflow tube and choke hole doesn't really have to be fully covered. The choke has it's "air correction" built into roof of carb body. I cut at a 45deg. on the mating points of o-ring.

Thanks! That's very useful info. Can see that we'll be experimenting with O-ring-ing a rack of VM-28's this winter.

'Nuther question: We've all seen cracked brass overflow pipes. Easy fix if the crack is at the top. Not so easy if the crack extends below the inner surface of the float bowl, allowing fuel to weep between the pipe and bowl. What's been your experience with that situation? Replace the pipe alltogether?

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Homemade Fuel Tees 19 Jul 2019 05:43 #807798

• asphalt900
  • User
The pipe can be driven out if you chose. Yanking on it from inside the bowl will result in it snapping off flush with casting. I suppose you can solder it but kinda hard to work inside the bowl. I find it easier to first pull the exterior overflow nipple then drive it out. The nipple and tube are two different OD's. The nipple is easy to pull, just tap/collar and walk right out.

Homemade Fuel Tees 19 Jul 2019 06:35 #807807

• asphalt900
  • User
Because photos are worth their weight. Tap 4-40 used for both. Pull Nipple. Tap overflow tube at least 3-4 mm deep, you'll be hammering /pushing on it later. Tapping the tube allows for it to be soldered and re-used if practical. This also allows it to be "pulled" back into it's original position without mushrooming the kneeled over end in bowl. It is a tapered tube where it goes into bowl. Same goes for the nipple if it is going to be reused. Just thread in a short 4-40 screw that has a flat flange, or washer, and tap home. The whole tapping thing is just to prevent damage and allows proper alignment in/out. A couple photos of the differences of OD of parts. Pretty universal sizes on the VM's

Homemade Fuel Tees 20 Jul 2019 07:19 #807871

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
I've replaced overflow tubes a number of times on Keinin carbs and posted photos and details of the process in threads here. It's not difficult, but there are some nuances.

Regarding the fuel tee's from ebay, I finally got my refund. The seller clearly was a broker or something to that effect because they had no clue that you can't stick a Tee with 10.2mm OD at the O-rings into a 11.0mm hole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Homemade Fuel Tees 20 Jul 2019 09:19 #807881

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Or a seller out of the country using a mailing address here. Busted another one. :evil:
Steve

Homemade Fuel Tees 20 Jul 2019 10:37 #807888

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member

SWest wrote: Or a seller out of the country using a mailing address here. Busted another one. :evil:
Steve

You may be right Steve. The parts shipped from a local address but they didn't seem to want the parts back for lack of anything useful to do with them.

Homemade Fuel Tees 20 Jul 2019 10:48 #807889

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Yeah been through it a number of times. When I insisted a US address they sent me a California one. Looked it up and seemed like a warehouse to me. The seller I got the cam from wanted me to send it to Spain. It was advertised as a US seller. That's why I bought it. Cost him his eBay account and now he's in hot water with Pay Pal. :lol:
Steve

Homemade Fuel Tees 21 Jul 2019 04:43 #807911

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
Since everyone likes photos...here are the completed carbs.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, SWest