Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Need Help from Kz troubleshooters 01 Dec 2006 17:44 #96614

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
I would look at the other valves. Are you sure only one was bent?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need Help from Kz troubleshooters 01 Dec 2006 18:12 #96626

• reborn650
  • reborn650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey Gang - Just got walloped by a mega snowstorm tonight so I won't be riding again soon. I have a fellow Kzr member coming over Monday night to take a looksee. He might have a couple of ideas to consider.

In speaking with a few experienced guys we ruled out the possibility of a sticking or malfunctioning mechanical advance because the bike revvs beautifully in neutral. If the mechanical advance is working fine without load it should be fine under load-correct?

I pulled all of the valves and inspected each one visually, rolled them on the level top of my metal workbench top and even did a leak down test on each valve. Only one had any seepage and this was the exhaust valve that I replaced. I confirmed it was bent by trying to lap it with compound and only about 80 per cent of the valve face was coming in contact with the seat. This proved this valve was bent but it wasn't evident by just eyeballing it.

As far as the carbs go, I haven't touched the float levels since I had them built. They were built with the velocity stacks in mind so this would have been accounted for by running a little richer than would have been assembled for pods. I haven't really gone through the intake for an air leak. That is something I will do tomorrow if I can get the bike to fire without too much trouble.

With a visual bench syn, the sliders are all equal and weren't tinkered with. I didn't put the vacuum sticks on the carbs.

The real puzzling thing is that the bike ran pretty strong all year long and never really acted 'ornery until lately.

My bike mechanic buddy and I checked and rechecked the cam timing, 36 teeth from the cam markings. We did not put the timing light on the ignition but the marks are dead on. We immediately fired the bike after putting the motor back together and the thing ran perfectly, pulling the revs without a problem in neutral.

I am starting to think that maybe my cam chain has stretched a bid and might have jumped a tooth on the cams again. Perhaps this is why I had the earlier problem as I ddn't remove the cam chain to see if it is within its servicing limit. But the puzzling thing is that when we put the top end together the chain seemed to be fairly snug once the adjuster was pushing on the cam chain.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks gang-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada - The Great White North!!

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2006/12/01 21:17
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: