Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

She's alive but going in and out of coma 04 Sep 2006 19:36 #74524

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
No problem, we 750 twin owners have to stick together or the four cylinder owners will take over the world :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

She's alive but going in and out of coma 04 Sep 2006 19:55 #74527

• ronjones
  • ronjones's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
steell wrote:

No problem, we 750 twin owners have to stick together or the four cylinder owners will take over the world :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Judging from this group...they already have ;) :lol: :lol:
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

She's alive but going in and out of coma 05 Sep 2006 05:02 #74583

• bemoore
  • User
On the brakes, I recommend bleeding as follows: Put the bike on the centerstand and turn the handlebars to the left so that the right side (the side with the master cylinder) is pointing up. Remove the caliper. Press the piston back into the caliper. I used a C-clamp. Remove the C-clamp. Work the brake lever to push the piston back out. Be careful not to push it completely out. Repeat about three times.

This was the majic bullet that finally resulted in a firm brake on my 650.
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

She's alive but going in and out of coma 05 Sep 2006 07:24 #74607

• ronjones
  • User
bemoore wrote:

On the brakes, I recommend bleeding as follows: Put the bike on the centerstand and turn the handlebars to the left so that the right side (the side with the master cylinder) is pointing up. Remove the caliper. Press the piston back into the caliper. I used a C-clamp. Remove the C-clamp. Work the brake lever to push the piston back out. Be careful not to push it completely out. Repeat about three times.

This was the majic bullet that finally resulted in a firm brake on my 650

Thanks for the reply and method, bemoore. The CSR does not have a centerstand. I've been using 2 pieces of 2x4 under the side stand just to get it to stand up straight so the master cylinder is horizontal. Are you just saying to push the caliper in then pump it out...w/o bleeding the caliper or putting fluid into the master cylinder? I think I see how this might work, by pushing air bubbles up the break line but just want to be sure.
Thanks
Ron
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

She's alive but going in and out of coma 27 Sep 2006 17:53 #80128

• ronjones
  • User
UPDATE:)
Hey guys, I wanted to let you know about my progress.
The best news is SHE'S ALIVE :):). I had her out around the neighborhood today. She's running fine right now, except there is an occasional stumble right as I crack the throttle to take off, I'm hoping the sea foam will work through that. I've got her idling around 950 w/the choke closed and starts cold w/several kicks, on full choke. When warm she starts w/1 kick and no choke:) I did several things so I really don't know what fixed her. I put on the Wired George coil mod. I went up to a #50 pilot jet and also found that one of my carb journels was clogged. I think the "Sea Foam" is helping to clean the system and now will get better the more I ride. I still need to balance the carbs and when I get a chance I'll check/adjust the valves. I'm also still getting some cam chain noise, evethough I adjusted the tensioner.
I still have the starter problem. When the bikes cold, something is still slipping and the starter won't crank the engine and I get a chain running on teeth sound. Once she's warmed up the starter kicks her right over. I've got to replace the stator, getting no juice whatsoever, so while I have that cover off I'll see if I can't do something about tightening the chain. It's not that big of a deal as I can always kickstart.
Although I've got the brakes working, they still feel mushy, but driveable. Much better than they had been. I'm going to replace the brakeline w/a braided line. I think I can feel the brakeline "pulsing" when I pump the brake.
Anyway I wanted to thank everyone for all their suggestions and help.
She's a runnin'...ye ha!!! :):):):)
Ron

She's alive but going in and out of coma 27 Sep 2006 18:12 #80132

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
Any chance of getting a pic of your bike ,, As you can see I own the same bike , I dont have a better pic right now , I used one of those vacumn pumps to bleed the brakes , I would never have got it with out , I changed the Handlebars over so the stock master mouting was at an angle , I had one off a Honda I used on it , It really looks better and works , Much better than non working ,, Yea the twin guys better stick togther m Hey Steell you going to start an advise column ? i48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/shoe48/100_0924-2.jpg

Post edited by: Shoe48, at: 2006/09/27 21:22

She's alive but going in and out of coma 27 Sep 2006 18:18 #80137

• ronjones
  • User
I haven't taken another pic of it since I took my avatar pic, but here's the same pic but a little bigger.
Attachments:

She's alive but going in and out of coma 27 Sep 2006 18:27 #80139

• Shoe48
  • User
Thought about pods but went with the stock box instead ,, Those carbs are goofy for sure, I raised the needles by about .005 for the after market mufflers , I do like your bike , I have a painter lined up this winter and also will go with blue . I posted a short time ago about mufflers at that time Steel showed me a post about installing Dunstall mufflers , I do have them on now and such a sweet sound ,, More like a BMW .. I will try to get a pic posted soon .. :)

She's alive but going in and out of coma 27 Sep 2006 19:12 #80155

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
ronjones wrote:

....SHE'S ALIVE :):)....

YAY!

there is an occasional stumble right as I crack the throttle to take off....

Sounds like the carbs are out of balance, or the pilot still needs adjustment, or the floats are wrong.

I'm also still getting some cam chain noise, evethough I adjusted the tensioner.

Hmm. Depending on the sound, might it actually be vavle noise? That would be potentially good, though, since noisy valves are happy valves... to an extent.

I still have the starter problem....

I don't know. It just sounds like the famous starter clutch failure like all of our twins have.

I think I can feel the brakeline "pulsing" when I pump the brake. ...

Ok that's not good. Not likely the line, more likely a off-balance wheel/tire, warped disk, or something like that.
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

She's alive but going in and out of coma 27 Sep 2006 19:15 #80158

• ronjones
  • User
Thanks for the compliments, Shoe :) The paint is rattlecan, it didn't turn out too bad but I'm thinking of tearing it down again this winter and doing a better job. I put the pods on because I was sick and tired of trying to work around that dam& airbox, pulling the carbs in and out is a real pain. Since I had everything apart and needed new jets anyway, I decided on doing the pods. I'm thinking of making some half covers for them to protect them from the rain and cross winds.
Git a pic of that bike of yours, I'd like to see it. I'll probably be posting some new pics under another thread when I get her all spiffy :)

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2006/09/27 22:16
Attachments:

She's alive but going in and out of coma 27 Sep 2006 19:29 #80162

• ronjones
  • User
Biquetoast wrote:

ronjones wrote:

....SHE'S ALIVE :):)....

YAY!

there is an occasional stumble right as I crack the throttle to take off....

Sounds like the carbs are out of balance, or the pilot still needs adjustment, or the floats are wrong.

I'm pretty sure the floats are good, pilot adjustment and balance are probably the culprets

I'm also still getting some cam chain noise, evethough I adjusted the tensioner.

Hmm. Depending on the sound, might it actually be vavle noise? That would be potentially good, though, since noisy valves are happy valves... to an extent.

Could be...I'm going to have someone, who knows more than me, give it a once over when I can get it over to him

I still have the starter problem....

I don't know. It just sounds like the famous starter clutch failure like all of our twins have.

Unfortunately I'm sure the chain is comming off the lower sprocket, because I've seen it when I've had the cover off. And I've had the starter rebuilt.

I think I can feel the brakeline "pulsing" when I pump the brake. ...

Ok that's not good. Not likely the line, more likely a off-balance wheel/tire, warped disk, or something like that.

Sorry, a miscommunication. I ment that I've put my hand around the line and I've felt it pulsing when I pump the handle. Not while I'm riding

I'm just happy she's running :)

She's alive but going in and out of coma 28 Sep 2006 09:26 #80261

• Shoe48
  • User
Pic of my bike with new Mufflers i48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/shoe48/100_0992.jpg I just got these on and some of the headlight parts have comes now ,, so this is it till cold weather come and I do a Paint /Clean up to it , It runs real good now maybe a little rich at idle . those are goofy carbs for sure .. anyway a Thanks to the KZR members that gave advise on my bike

Post edited by: Shoe48, at: 2006/09/28 12:27