Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 18 Jul 2018 14:43 #787188

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
 In looking over all of the replies /suggestions, it seems you and everyone else has covered everything. You should be yelling YeHAW! tearing up your neighborhood! lol

I used to have a harley T-shirt that seemed kind of profane at first glance.. It read : SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG and BLOW..  but in reality it described the 4 phases of a 4 cycle engine running.. 1) intake 2) compression 3) ignition 4) exhaust. All basic textbook theory of a modern 4 stroke engine. 

That said, 120 lbs compression is more than enough to fire a cylinder. If everything is dead on, this motor should run. An engine needs fuel, air , compression and spark to hit. Try a shot of either (starting fluid), and see if it fires. This is a classic check if I suspect a dead fuel pump. or to just plain see if an engine shows ANY signs of life. Perhaps you are overthinking this dead scooter.

Just for giggles TRY rotating the advance sleeve 180 degrees on the plate to see it it pops? (as Nessism suggested)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 18 Jul 2018 15:06 #787192

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Regarding the points - the cam should have a mark on it and the back plate should have a hole in it.  If they more or less align the points cam is on correctly; if they are 180 degrees off the points cam needs to be removed and re-installed so they align.  See image below.  Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 18 Jul 2018 16:11 #787195

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
It´s sounds crazy but I think i got it!!!
In your video your engine turns/rotate clockwise on the pointer side with the e-starter motor. In the manual the timing advancer/engine should be turn/rotate counter clockwise!!!

KZ 650-1100 four engine

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 18 Jul 2018 16:20 #787196

• One1
  • One1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 750 FOUR
  • Thank you received: 3

It's counterclockwise in the vid. I sure appreciate you looking it over, but if you look at my plate i posted the arrow goes the opposite direction than the timing advancer you're showing for the 650-1000. Infact i can't even make the engine go the other direction. Notice the typo in the factory service manual? :) It goes counterclockwise in the video.

I've ordered a new coil pack. Todays testing shows with the plugs out i can fire carb cleaner into the intake and it come out the plug holes so it's doing what it should be mechanically. Even though I have spark I'm not convinced it's enough spark and still believe it's weak. Delivery is monday so we shall see! 
Vulcan 750, KZ750, KLX 125, and many more......
Attachments:

Last edit: by One1.

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 18 Jul 2018 16:37 #787197

• One1
  • User
  • KZ 750 FOUR

old_kaw wrote:  

Just for giggles TRY rotating the advance sleeve 180 degrees on the plate to see it it pops? (as Nessism suggested)

I can't do that because the contacts would be CLOSING at the F mark. Review the video and you'll see they are opening.

Attachments:

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 18 Jul 2018 16:46 #787199

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Are you sure it´s a typo???

Watch your e-starter video 10 times and for me the engine turns clockwise.
Try to push start the bike!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 18 Jul 2018 20:49 #787207

• One1
  • User
  • KZ 750 FOUR

Scirocco wrote: Are you sure it´s a typo???

Yeah, cranksahft is not a word.

Also, impossible for the engine to turn backwards. The one way bearing cannot operate in reverse. It's also the reason why I cannot turn the engine backwards by hand, the one way bearing will catch and the starter motor won't move.

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 18 Jul 2018 21:52 #787208

• old_kaw
  • User

Scirocco wrote: Are you sure it´s a typo???

Watch your e-starter video 10 times and for me the engine turns clockwise.
Try to push start the bike!

Exactly! Push starting would put the question of correct rotation to rest.  Not all bikes rotate clockwise. And in looking at the advancer, my thinking may be wrong on this one, but wouldn't an advancer, "advance"  in the direction of rotation?  As in, when the RPM's increase, the timing advances forward, in crankshaft degrees? Right? 

If it indeed is cranking in the wrong direction, Was the starter clutch changed recently? Perhaps the wrong starter clutch, or could it possibly be installed backwards? Isn't this the bike that the starter was running backwards?  I'm not keeping up very well, huh?  :-)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 19 Jul 2018 04:48 #787212

• old_kaw
  • User

One1 wrote: The valves open at timing for the right and timing for the left when they are supposed to. When setting the valves i watched their rotation and they peaked right on point with the timing mark on the crank. Doesn't make any sense. 

That motor is rotating clockwise. I've watched this video at least 10 times, and that crank is rotating clockwise while cranking (from the points side). It's hard to tell rotation from the video while the crank is turning until the 4-5 second mark, and as the cranks stops turning. This crank is clearly turning clockwise. 

The other video's show you turning it with a wrench counterclockwise while checking timing, then watching it turn the opposite direction with the starter?  Okey dokie. lol
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 19 Jul 2018 07:52 #787216

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Kawasaki bikes use two different coil impedances....2 and 4 ohm.  (primary)  Which one do you have and is it the correct one for the bike?

When the points are open what is the voltage on the green/black wire with respect to battery ground?  
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 19 Jul 2018 15:59 #787231

• One1
  • User
  • KZ 750 FOUR

old_kaw wrote:

One1 wrote: The valves open at timing for the right and timing for the left when they are supposed to. When setting the valves i watched their rotation and they peaked right on point with the timing mark on the crank. Doesn't make any sense. 

That motor is rotating clockwise. I've watched this video at least 10 times, and that crank is rotating clockwise while cranking (from the points side). It's hard to tell rotation from the video while the crank is turning until the 4-5 second mark, and as the cranks stops turning. This crank is clearly turning clockwise. 

The other video's show you turning it with a wrench counterclockwise while checking timing, then watching it turn the opposite direction with the starter?  Okey dokie. lol

Well watch it 11 times because while I'm damn good i can't bend the laws of space and time. As i said earlier its impossible to rotate the engine backwards. They don't call it a 2 way bearing. All engines reverse when stopped, it's called compression kickback. If you've ever used a kick start you've experienced it. That alone should tell you which way an engine is turning.

Best oil to unstick a stuck ring? 19 Jul 2018 16:00 #787232

• One1
  • User
  • KZ 750 FOUR

hardrockminer wrote: Kawasaki bikes use two different coil impedances....2 and 4 ohm.  (primary)  Which one do you have and is it the correct one for the bike?

When the points are open what is the voltage on the green/black wire with respect to battery ground?  

I'll check and see.