Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

voltage drops when i press starter button 81kz650 21 Mar 2018 19:23 #780595

• agrestixrock
  • agrestixrock's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
okay so i have tried all options i have been given for my no spark issue. i cannot delete my old topics and this seems to almost be a new one anyways. okay so i lost all spark, first suspected coils, got them tested and they were good, suspected my new battery had gone bad and it couldnt hold over 12.3v so i got a new one, ohmed every wire that has anything to do with ignition and they all read 0.00 ohm, replaced or cleaned corroded connections depending on how severe, the main ground splice pulled apart so i respliced it, my key switch was wired to a toggle switch from the previous owner so i replaced it with a new one. the only thing i can see from here is that im sitting at roughly battery voltage with the key on, but the second i hit the start button the power to the cdi box and coils drop to about 8.9v max I've seen was 9.5v and i know the cdi box requires 10.5v to fire. i traced the power wires up and ohmed out the existing ones which showed no resistance. the only thing i noticed was that the previous owner used a small jumper to bypass the starter kill switch. does this switch have any resistance that limits the power the starter motor can draw? i noticed that to the starter button it is the black wire the comes from the starter kill switch and the power wire that comes from the key switch. but i got to thinking, if the starter has no resistance from the power wire, wouldnt it be possible for it to draw as much power as it " wants" which would take power from the cdi box because the main power to the cdi box and the start switch are tied together?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: