Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2-4 crossover style exhaust... 07 Nov 2018 11:10 #793524

• shrap66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I know this is an old post but does anyone have some experience with this exhaust system ?

I am talking about the PMC ''The Cross Plating Cross 4-IN-2 Megaphone Exhaust System''

On Z1 its called the 4-2 ZE Cross.

Wonder if I could install it on my 1979 KZ1000 Ltd. It has a Mark II engine.

Seems like the mufflers attach to the rear foot pegs.
1979 KZ1000B3 LTD Glacier Green
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by shrap66.

2-4 crossover style exhaust... 07 Nov 2018 17:57 #793544

• PDXDave
  • PDXDave's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I know I had to build new muffler hangers for my 80 Ltd, but aside from that it was a perfect fit.
I “believe” the 79 is the same as the 80 and the big change came in 81, but I’m not the expert that a lot of these guys are.
The quality of the PMC system was absolutely gorgeous
The following user(s) said Thank You: shrap66

2-4 crossover style exhaust... 08 Nov 2018 05:28 #793552

• shrap66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
So how do they sound ?

Did you have to modify the jetting up or down when you switched your exhaust ?

I would be going from a 4-1 to the PMC.

Also can't figure out how the headers attach to the collector.

Thinking about buying that kit looks amazing.
1979 KZ1000B3 LTD Glacier Green

2-4 crossover style exhaust... 08 Nov 2018 07:42 #793556

• PDXDave
  • User
It sounded amazing...
deeper and with a different sound at the back, because of the crossover directing the firing order pulses separately.
I was running a factory airbox with no snorkel and a drop in K&N on the intake side.
The mains are a 110 with a 17 pilot
Cyl #2/3 fuel screw set at a half turn out
Cyl # 1/4 fuel screw set at a full turn out
Stock needles, clip in 3rd position

This ran really well across the rpm range but still had a solid kick in the top end.
I’m sure with a little more tuning, I could gotten it better, but the final result was more than sufficient for a bike that I rode maybe a dozen times a year.

2-4 crossover style exhaust... 08 Nov 2018 12:43 #793570

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
I ran across a YouTube video a while back with pipes something like this and it sounded wicked mean. I think it was the goose bike from the Mad Max movie series. It has a fairing around the engine with some crossover type exhaust like pictured above. The guy parks a 68 Pontiac lemans convertible, hops on this wicked Kz1000, then lays about 100' of rubber pictured from behind. Totally rad video! lol

If you look close, it looks to me that it pairs up exhaust 1-3, and 2-4 into alternate sides. Check out the 68 pontiac in the background. :woohoo:

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

2-4 crossover style exhaust... 08 Nov 2018 13:48 #793571

• PDXDave
  • User
That’s exactly the exhaust, as PMC in Japan is knocking them off perfectly.
That bike had no baffles and was essentially open piped. I kept the baffles in mine (they’re barely a baffle really) as it was easier to jet, and it still sounded amazing. Real nice bark and a good cackle on deceleration as well.
The bike in the vid is the bike I duplicated.

2-4 crossover style exhaust... 09 Nov 2018 06:05 #793595

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583

shrap66 wrote: I know this is an old post but does anyone have some experience with this exhaust system ?

I am talking about the PMC ''The Cross Plating Cross 4-IN-2 Megaphone Exhaust System''

On Z1 its called the 4-2 ZE Cross.

Wonder if I could install it on my 1979 KZ1000 Ltd. It has a Mark II engine.

Seems like the mufflers attach to the rear foot pegs.

Don't know if the PMC system will fit your bike, but some may find a little history of interest.

The head pipes both the PMC system and the one in your avatar look identical to the Jardine 4-2 crossover system that was produced in the mid '70's through sometime into the late 80"s. When Jardine ceased production of the 4-2 crossover system it was rumored the bending jigs were sold off. Perhaps PMC ended up with them.

Jardine's claim was that their system was a true, 180 degree tuned header with equal-length pipes that paired cylinders 1&4 into a collector, and cylinders 2&3 into the other, so that the negative exhaust pulse from one cylinder would arrive at the collector's transition at the precise moment the exhaust valve was opening at it's paired cylinder, which increased scavenging. To truly make the pipes exactly equal length required the asymmetrical bends seen in the headpipes. It was also true that full oil filter access was retained, as well as being compatible with the stock centerstand. 4-1 systems were just beginning to be offered and, some (us included) felt that the balanced look of two mufflers, one per side, were more aesthetically pleasing than a single muffler on one side.

After production of the Jardine 4-2 crossover system for Z1's ended, Jardine continued to produce the same 4-2 crossover system for KZ 1000's for a few years. Although the KZ1000 headpipes would mate to a Z1 head OK, the headpipe angles and collectors were incompatible with Z1 frames unless some modifications were made and new hangers were fabricated.

Hooker also produced a 4-2 crossover system during the same period. It wasn't precisely tuned like the Jardine system was, as the headpipes were perfectly symmetrical at the cross, resulting in unequal length headpipes that were more aesthetically pleasing to some.

Some objected to the weight of 4-2's. Other's, ourselves included, preferred the balanced look & didn't really care about weight, especially when the systems were often replacements for OEM 4-4 systems that had rusted through.

We have a set of original Jardine 4-2 crossover headers feeding a set of two NOS Bassani collectors on one of our Z1's. Had to fabricate a simple hanger for the collectors. They have glass-packed, straight through large-bore "baffles", but are surprisingly quiet. They just rumble, without the objectionable high-frequency rasp. The sound is unique; even Standard Citizens pick up on it.

The OEM 4-4 Z1 systems breathed pretty well as produced, and we've made no jetting changes for the Jardine/Bassani system.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC

Last edit: by slmjim+Z1BEBE.

2-4 crossover style exhaust... 09 Nov 2018 08:09 #793598

• Zeerx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Question for the collective. I’ve been on the PMC site. They have a lot of good stuff but I can’t quite figure out how to order from them. Between the Japanese site and English site I get a little sideways. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanx.
‘99 ZRX1100, ‘05 DRZ400S, ‘78 KZ1000LTD, ‘12 F150 (Ford)

2-4 crossover style exhaust... 09 Nov 2018 13:37 #793617

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Zeerx wrote: Question for the collective. I’ve been on the PMC site. They have a lot of good stuff but I can’t quite figure out how to order from them. Between the Japanese site and English site I get a little sideways. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanx.

Z1E shows it out of stock, and the price ~$750.00. Some neat exhaust, like SlimJim said. The goose bike is definitely nice, and I definitely like the sound, although my neighbors might not.

I like PDXDave's bike. I assume his avitar pic is indeed his bike, unlike >my< avitar pic. believe it or not, is not my wife and girlfriend. lol :-)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

• Page: