Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 06 Jun 2011 04:35 #455735

• jimmyjimmyjoe
  • User
  • Hope Im ready for this build
  • Thank you received: 0

DoctoRot wrote: I took the cylinder off and tried to remove the pistons. I got the circlips out but the wrist pin doesn't want to come out. The manual said to try heating up with a torch, that didn't work either, it also has a diagram for a home made puller. I'm gonna try and make it today and see if i can get those pins out.

So how did you end up getting the pistons off? Any pictures of the tool.

I also am about to take apart a kz1000p I just picked up a couple of days ago. I also have never build one before so I will be watching close and I hope you dont mind if I ask questions in your tread. Not trying to hijack your thread. Just in the same boat.

Thanks for all ive learned so far. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 06 Jun 2011 04:49 #455739

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299

Attachment brassrod.jpg not found

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 12 Jun 2011 00:48 #456770

• DoctoRot
  • DoctoRot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
sorry for the lack of posts i have been out of town for a while, but im back now.

@wireman little confused here "use something soft like a brass drift and tap on it with a hammer to see if they move" are you talking about the valve guides?

@jimmyjoe I cant seem to find it at the moment but there is a pic of one in the clymer manual, i took a photo of it, when i find that thing i'll put it up here. I used a PVC pipe and no pad.

I picked up this solvent sink and started cleaning the engine cases

The gaskets are really stuck on there, my friend suggested i use a razor to slice them off, but because the aluminum is so soft, I seem to be slicing it as well. Is there some easier way to get the gaskets off? Then I remembered I read somewhere that its good to have all the mating surfaces machined down when you rebuild an engine. Is this true or did I make this up? I know you need the head resurfaced, but what about the top of the engine case, and between the cases?

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 12 Jun 2011 01:43 #456782

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
When removing stuck on gaskets, I use a piece of sharpened hard plastic like Lexan or Plexiglass. They can be re-sharpened when dull with a file and will not damage the aluminum engine cases.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 12 Jun 2011 05:59 #456794

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299

DoctoRot wrote: sorry for the lack of posts i have been out of town for a while, but im back now.

@wireman little confused here "use something soft like a brass drift and tap on it with a hammer to see if they move" are you talking about the valve guides?

@jimmyjoe I cant seem to find it at the moment but there is a pic of one in the clymer manual, i took a photo of it, when i find that thing i'll put it up here. I used a PVC pipe and no pad.

I picked up this solvent sink and started cleaning the engine cases

The gaskets are really stuck on there, my friend suggested i use a razor to slice them off, but because the aluminum is so soft, I seem to be slicing it as well. Is there some easier way to get the gaskets off? Then I remembered I read somewhere that its good to have all the mating surfaces machined down when you rebuild an engine. Is this true or did I make this up? I know you need the head resurfaced, but what about the top of the engine case, and between the cases?

wrist pins from pistons B)
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 14 Jun 2011 01:46 #457152

• jimmyjimmyjoe
  • User
  • Hope Im ready for this build
  • Thank you received: 0
Dude you are doing a complete break down. If the crank looked goood i was just going to leave it in but I guess wee see. I i much more work to break down the lower half? I have my clymer manual on the way but i am nervious about tearing it apart.

Bye the way what all did you have done to the head and how much was it?

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 17 Jun 2011 22:45 #457896

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
I decided to upgrade the engine a bit. I'm going with 1075 pistons, and I decided to have Larry Cavanaugh do his 3 way porting job on my head, with new valves, springs, and guides. I'm also going to get some mild cams to wake this engine up.

As far as splitting the cases goes, I thought it was easier than removing the top end, there is more bolts to remove but doesn't seem too much harder. Its the putting it back together stuff that gets complicated, but we shall see. The crank just lifts out once you split the cases, and i wanted to check the bearings to make sure they were all solid, I also dropped it off at a local motorcycle shop to inspect the crank to make sure its straight and there are no cracks.

I am also having M.R.E. undercut my transmission.

I have been spending my spare time prepping the engine cases for paint. Meticulously sanding every surface, either by hand or with these

they are great for sanding in the fins, probably other uses as well.

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 18 Jun 2011 00:42 #457932

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
when i was talking to Larry Cavanaugh, he suggested i get a "gasket remover wheel" which is basically a tougher brillow pad. After soaking the gaskets for a few days, hit it with this and they melt off!

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 27 Jun 2011 19:12 #459780

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
When I was trying to get the clutch hub bolt off the manual said stick a screwdriver in between the hub and the basket so you can remove the bolt. I tried this and the screwdriver slipped and i put a small gouge in the clutch hub. Do i just sand this down or do i have to get a new hub?
I also noticed the clutch springs had some wear on them. Should I replace these as well?

I finished ordering parts and they are on the way. I'm gonna try and finish up the engine cases today so i can start putting it back together.

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 27 Jun 2011 19:22 #459788

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
I'd replace the springs they're pretty inexpensive and it needs them anyway.

I think you can dress that nick out without any issues.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 27 Jun 2011 20:07 #459797

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Dress the slots where the clutch plates slide on the hub. You don't want any nicks or gouges on those as the clutch plates need to slide back and forth freely and any nicks will catch the plate tabs and may cause problems.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 19 May 2013 02:26 #588150

• KZ-Izzo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
whats a good site to get all the parts for a rebuild
Live Fast
1980 KZ1000 b4 ltd