Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

It's cold 06 Nov 2015 14:48 #697526

• redhawk4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
I don't mind needing a computer to fix things, sometimes that diagnostic technology can be really handy, however when I read about these new bikes in a magazine I get monthly, with suspension setting altered from the dash as opposed to a C wrench , traction control, abs. etc. etc. I find myself just thinking I don't want that, for me bikes are meant to be relatively simple that's part of their appeal. Assuming anyone will care to keep the latest Yamaha R1 on the road in 40 years time, one has to wonder how these electronics will hold up and how it will be possible to repair them. Sometimes 4 carbs seem like a pain when somethings playing up, but at least the parts are available and with a bit of perseverance you get them fixed and it runs as good as new, good luck with that little black box and a bunch of sensors that are no longer made and would cost hundreds if they were.
1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by redhawk4.

It's cold 06 Nov 2015 14:56 #697528

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
I've told this before. My 7 year old daughter told a big biker, Daddy says Harley's sound like a bean fart." He looked at me and asked me if I said that. "yup" waiting, he just grunted and walked away. :whistle:
Steve

It's cold 06 Nov 2015 19:05 #697563

• Zephyrrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
:evil:
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

Last edit: by Zephyrrider.

It's cold 07 Nov 2015 04:03 #697579

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
:woohoo:
The legal issue was the best that could be had in a state like this. Looked like we would prevail until now. Someone got to her lawyer. He has to work and live here and the deck was stacked against us.
Yeah, new camera. I don't like it. The other one could be charged while in use. The sound is lousy on this one. I'll get another one.
Found this outside this morning. Apr hangers with a windshield. :ohmy:
Steve

Attachments:

It's cold 07 Nov 2015 05:43 #697589

• redhawk4
  • User
I think for many the "Harley Thing" is just brand marketing and perception. I know people who are not what I'd really call bike enthusiasts, but they wanted a Harley because of their perceived image of it, and how it would make them look. Once they have it, they think it's great, but that's because all bikes are great fun, you can drag an old 50cc out of the shed and have hours of fun riding it round the block - it doesn't make it the best bike ever. IMO where the misconception begins is because most of these folks have only ever ridden a Harley, while at the same time being conditioned to believe it's the best and other bikes are viewed with such contempt they will never throw a leg over another brand to even try one. I have ridden and owned all types of bikes, I even once had one of the California built Indians that I bought at a bankruptcy auction to sell on, it ended up getting shipped to the UK. Given my perspective of different types of bikes and brands, I like to think I've made an informed decision based on my personal preferences. If someone has done the same and concluded a Harley is the best choice for them then I cannot argue with that, but like I say many "Harley Snobs" have never ridden anything else and hold strong opinions based in blissful ignorance. One thing I will never understand is how people think popping and banging on the overrun through straight pipes is a cool sound and how a bike should sound, the howl of a Z1 or KZ1000 at full throttle through a 4-1 is how a bike should sound :)

And yes it's still cold today, not much riding weather left this year :(
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1980 Suzuki SP400

Last edit: by redhawk4.

It's cold 07 Nov 2015 11:16 #697612

• Zephyrrider
  • User
:evil:
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

Last edit: by Zephyrrider.

Re:It's cold 07 Nov 2015 14:14 #697630

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148

redhawk4 wrote: ...And yes it's still cold today, not much riding weather left this year :(

+1

Clear but too cold. I'm so bummed I couldn't even get myself to do any wrenching.

Redhawk4 I sent you a PM.

Re:It's cold 07 Nov 2015 15:41 #697646

• redhawk4
  • User
Spent the whole day winterizing my boat and travel trailer, so no time to ride or wrench any bikes, it would have been decent for a ride in the noon til 3.00 p.m window, but I don't want to risk anything getting frozen up, the nights are heading for the 20's and the forecast doesn't look promising for next week, so today was the day, or so it seemed.

Got your PM and replied.
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1980 Suzuki SP400

Re:It's cold 07 Nov 2015 19:45 #697671

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Back in Phelan Ca from Eugene OR. 9:53 PM. The one good thing that came out of all of this, The meets are now in Stockton. No more Oregon pick ups. I may go home tomorrow or stay another day to get Kayla's Chappy running again. Dead dog tired. I'm a people watcher and I noticed most of the people have the same look on their faces there. The impression I get is they feel stuck in their place in life. Not happy people. In fact I felt a lot of anger. Very few would make eye contact. I'm glad to be home.
Steve

Re:It's cold 08 Nov 2015 11:32 #697768

• Zephyrrider
  • User
Kinda know how they feel Steve
Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

Re:It's cold 08 Nov 2015 13:28 #697794

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Their court system seems to be something out of Judge Roy Bean. Because of funding security leaves at 3:00 leaving the building unguarded until 5:00. I thought our system was bad. Almost like being in a third world country. :dry:
Better pic of the bike and the dry lake.
Steve

Attachments:

Re:It's cold 09 Nov 2015 03:01 #697854

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19

swest wrote: I'm a people watcher and I noticed most of the people have the same look on their faces there. The impression I get is they feel stuck in their place in life. Not happy people. In fact I felt a lot of anger. Very few would make eye contact. I'm glad to be home.
Steve

Eugene is full of tree huggers that spend tax money foolishly on "sustainability" and other programs that show that they "care". If they really cared they would study useful subjects in school and get real jobs. B)
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.