Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb T’s 13 Apr 2019 16:23 #802054

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2679
My hesitation with those aluminum parts is wondering if they are anodized or raw aluminum. Raw aluminum will corrode. I've made my own Tee's before out of brass for that reason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Carb T’s 14 Apr 2019 04:53 #802080

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 605

Nessism wrote: My hesitation with those aluminum parts is wondering if they are anodized or raw aluminum. Raw aluminum will corrode. I've made my own Tee's before out of brass for that reason.

Our oldest aluminum sets have been in continuous service for four yrs., with no leaks or external indications of corrosion to date. If we ever have to replace the O-rings or disassemble the rack we'll inspect for internal corrosion at that time.

The metal tubing in the OEM T's are aluminum, or some similar non-magnetic alloy. We've observed no internal corrosion of those. We have not observed corrosion in the aluminum float bowls or carb bodies of any rack that has been correctly maintained, drained for storage, etc.

If phase separation is allowed to occur during storage of ethanol-blend gasoline, the resulting water would corrode not only the T's, but also float bowl internals, as well as inducing rust on the bottom of steel fuel tanks. That's why we always drain the fuel systems of on-road equipment during prolonged storage.

We do have access to pure gasoline, but it's too far away to make it practical for daily on-road use. We only use it in our lawn care equipment.

Curious how you're fabricating brass T's? Silver soldering? CNC machining? Pics?

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: