Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Need some good brands for parts! 12 Sep 2018 04:22 #790746

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
78 KZ1000 A2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need some good brands for parts! 12 Sep 2018 05:08 #790748

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Is there any sign of rust coming through along the bottom edges of the tank? If not, then +1 on the Evapo Rust.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Need some good brands for parts! 12 Sep 2018 06:43 #790757

• Calvin9819
  • Calvin9819's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Well I’m actually just using vinegar and BB’s to remove the rust. Let it soak for a week or so, then clean it out and fill it with gas. I’m not gonna worry about tank liner, at least until the full rebuild. I figured by then I’ll have more time to research, and have the Tank painted.

Need some good brands for parts! 12 Sep 2018 09:47 #790772

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Painting the tank is the absolute last step. Ride around for a few months after cleaning the tank. Put it through it's paces... gas station spills, possible handle bar dings, etc. After you work out all the bugs (like bars that might hit the tank under certain conditions), then paint it. That way any leaks will show up before you paint. I learned that the hard way.

I had to fix some pinhole leaks after it was professionally painted. Not fun... but I did learn a few tricks.

If the tank doesn't leak, then I wouldn't bother with the liner. For me, liner is a last resort on a throw-away tank.

Need some good brands for parts! 12 Sep 2018 12:28 #790779

• Calvin9819
  • User
That actually makes a lot of sense.. I was going to keep it the color it is right now until i do my official rebuild years down the road, then either paint it myself or do professional painting. I actually want to get into rebuilding and restoring cars/motorcycles so ill probably use the tank and frames etc. as a learning tool as well. I'm glad i came on here before lining the tank already. One of my main concerns though, is the bike is put away for winter. Blasted New York weather. would you still recommend not lining it? or should i do it to keep it from rusting while it sits for months.

Need some good brands for parts! 12 Sep 2018 17:16 #790792

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
After you flush out the vinegar and bb's turn it upside down, shake out the excess water and blow dry it with a hot air gun then coat the inside with some gas/Marvels Mystery oil right away
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

Need some good brands for parts! 21 Sep 2018 19:02 #791216

• Calvin9819
  • User
A week later! Didn’t get the wd40 on there fast enough, but I’d say not too bad. And whoever said putting B.B.’s in a tank to get the rust out was a good idea, your moms a hoe. That was the most annoying time getting those bbs out! Now I gotta see if my fuel level switch works. Got all the connections set up, now just need to wait until it gets low enough
Attachments: