Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 08:10 #167347

• Bluemeanie
  • Bluemeanie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
First of all I want to thank you guys again for your concern and offers of help to fix bike! I'm doing pretty well and bike WILL roll again! Some of you wanted to hear about what happened but I was not ready to go back to that moment. But I'm much better now, anybody here who went thru this will understand the pshycological impact it has on you. But enough of that, here is what happened!

August 16th, coming home from work at about 5:20pm. South bound I15, I was in the middle lane cruising at 60-65mph behind a Mayflower moving semi. Not liking being behind a moving blind spot decided to move left into the fast lane, got over and was up to 70mph about 3-4 car lengths behind traffic. As I was slowely passing the Mayflower semi I remember glancing over at it and admiring the chrome stacks it had. This "glance" took all of 3-4 seconds. As my eyes came back to traffic I was suddenly confronted with brake lights and the car ahead of me braking real hard (him at about 30mph) and me at 70mph! I had about one car length to react! My first thought was "Oh my God", I knew I was going to impact. I hit the brakes and managed to move to the right but realized it was not enough.I might have slowed down to 55-60 when I hit the right rear of the vehicle. I have never felt an impact that hard in my life and the next few seconds are a blur except for the multiple impacts as I tumbled down the freeway at about 60ph! When I finally stopped I noticed my left foot at a right angle to my leg and then looked up to see an Isuzu cargo van coming at me. I rolled over to my left as it passed by. Of course the whole freeway shut down and people showed up around me. The first person to me was a physicans assistant! An off duty Riverside sheriff showed up also and called my wife for me. The rest was pretty typical... fire, police, CHP, ambulance. I remember as I was lying there being treated, I looked over and I could see my beloved KZ lying about 50ft away on it's side. What a heart wrenching site! The rest is the usual stuff, got me to emergancy room and 3 hours of surgery later I was on the mend. I'm suprised that I remember so much of the accident, most people don't. Pay attention guys! Those few seconds changed my life. This was a little long but some of you said you wanted to know so there it is. Everyone PLEASE ride safe and let my mishap be a lesson, a few seconds can change everything!! Thanks for listening! John (PS, sorry about posting twice, I'm a dork! :blink: )

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/08/30 11:16
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 08:25 #167349

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
  • Thank you received: 7
Man, you're pretty lucky considering all the other traffic that could've hit you. :ohmy: Glad you're still kicking.
I had a similar spill about twenty years ago, but I didn't get quite as busted up. Cracked clavicle, three ribs and sprained both ankles.
Do you remember your exact thoughts as it was happening. I do. I remember thinking as I was bouncing down the highway, "Oh NO (crack, slam, skid, bounce), my brand new leather jacket is getting trashed". Then I remember laying there thinking, "what a stupid thought". Trashed my XS650.

riverroad posted this in a doubled thread:

I believe bikers in general are the safest drivers on the road, especially ones that have been through this.
You do learn how just a second of attention diversion can cost you dearly. Whereas most cagers careening down the road with their cell phones stuck to their heads and stereos blairing are mostly oblivious to what's happening in front of them.

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/08/31 09:19

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 08:29 #167350

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
Yup...thanks for sharing...many of us have similar stories...and you shall ride again:)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 08:52 #167358

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Bummer, guess the good thing is you had the smarts to make it a glancing blow rather than a full impact, or it could have been a lot worse.
Glad you are going to be ok and up and riding soon
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 09:24 #167364

• flht1997
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Glad you are going to be ok.
I remember my accident very vividly, but do not remember the hour or so before it, also when I fell down I got to ride in a helicopter.
Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 09:50 #167368

• DasTeufel
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
You are pretty lucky not to have been ran over by oncoming traffic. I don't like riding on the freeway anymore, as traffic is almost always congested. There has been times where I have had to brake hard, but if I think I am not going to stop in time, I will aim for the shoulder or center divider. The last time I had to "panic brake" resulted in a stoppie that scared the crap out of me. I didn't have room to move left or right that time, as I had cars on both sides of me.
2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 09:55 #167369

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
  • Thank you received: 4
John,
your story took me back to my last significant bike accident, and what was going through my mind at the time, "Pink" The color pink--It was 1975 we had just moved in together and I had just dropped my girlfriend (now my wife) at the High School and was riding my 1974 Honda CB350 home. We lived across the street from a middle school and some lady pulled a U turn right in front of me but stopped dead when she saw me coming. I remember the back of the bike swung to my right (too much rear brake) and I bailed off to let the bike take the brunt of the impact. The bike hit her left front fender and I ended up sliding on my back right under her car (I was really skinny 25 years ago).
Basically only my helmet and shoulders weren't under the car. I just lay there praying she wouldn't move the car--and she didn't. She opened her car door and as she got out I looked right up her skirt and saw her underwear... My thoughts at the time were Cute... PINK.
Cheer up mate, we'll all get together when you're feeling better.
1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 11:07 #167377

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Glad your feeling better.

I have reminders on my bike from past mishaps in plain site. You run through the scenerio (sp?) every now and then.

Ride safely everyone. B)
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 12:58 #167402

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Man that's scary. I don't remember a think about my wreck. It goes from locking my tool box to waking up in the ER. I remember the first thing I said though was "how's my bike" My bro said it's toast. I wish I could remember what happened.
Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 15:12 #167421

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
DAMN that shiny chrome!Gets Ya every time!:laugh:

(Not REALLY laughing,John)

Ya...You ARE pretty lucky,considering the traffic around You,Bud...wow! :ohmy:
Really good to hear that You are on the mend though...that's the important part.

SO...is the Wife wearing the Nurses uniform,and playing the part?:whistle:

:laugh:

Heal fast,and lets get a new bike going this winter.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 16:32 #167432

• z1rick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks for sharing your story. Get well, and hope to see you riding again soon,
Rick
Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

Bluemeanie's Story 30 Aug 2007 16:52 #167440

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
just glad youre ok brother :) we sometimes get another chance in life. i suggest we take them when we can...steve

by the way if you need a speedo i think i just may have one...let me know
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

• Page: