Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 27 Feb 2019 08:07 #799331

• Move0ver
  • Move0ver's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
Cleaned up:

And new wires/grommet installed

Also... thanks to johhnys for the tip....
studs are great for holding the gasket in place:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 28 Feb 2019 10:56 #799401

• Move0ver
  • User
Axle spacers are coming along:

And the side covers are cleared

I'm not going to use the 900-DOHC emblems on the side covers, because the Giuliari seat already has that on it... but the side covers look naked.
Any suggestions on striping or decals (OEM or custom) that I could use to make them flow better?

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 28 Feb 2019 11:32 #799402

• KZErider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Maybe mimic the striping on tank and tail piece on the side covers, but in black.(?)
81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 28 Feb 2019 11:35 #799403

• Move0ver
  • User

KZErider wrote: Maybe mimic the striping on tank and tail piece on the side covers, but in black.(?)

I was thinking something like that. The bike is actually "Moro Blue" it's an Audi color that is a deep blue when the sun hits it.

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 28 Feb 2019 13:20 #799407

• KZErider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Now I remember what you posted earlier in the thread.
Yeah. The blue, not black.
81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 01 Mar 2019 08:52 #799466

• Move0ver
  • User
Axle spacers are complete:

The caliper bracket I have is off of some old drag bike and is actually really nice. The only down side is that the rotor is too wide of a diameter for the caliper to bolt up. We're going to have to reduce the radius of the rotor by about 1/2" for everything to line up. Shouldn't be too much of an issue and think about all the weight we'll be saving...

For everyone's information, I'm going to be mounting the caliper upside-down so I can re-use the stock (drum brake) brake stay.

My machinist also really wants to make new axle adjuster end caps for the box swingarm. I'll let him go for it.

Now I need to rebuild the caliper (waiting on the kit from Clubman Racing) and have a line made.

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 06 Mar 2019 12:25 #799826

• Move0ver
  • User
Productive lunch break:

Caliper rebuilt, new brake stay made, and caliper mounted. I have a line coming from Z1E by the end of the week. I'll bleed the caliper right side up.

My machinist convinced me to throw out the old kickstand stay (that keeps it from hitting the rearsets) and go with a better solution.

Old:

New:

Mounting tab spot welded on:

Rubber bumper with bolt:

Mounted:

And it works:

I said I'd never modify this frame... but I think I can make an exception in this case.

Last edit: by Move0ver.

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 06 Mar 2019 14:54 #799836

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Just a Little hint Move0ver

The clip for the crown nut has to be in this position for max. sping tension.

I use clips with an extra loop form more Tension

Attachments:

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 14 Mar 2019 15:07 #800354

• Move0ver
  • User
Good catch Scirocco, though I'd imagine having the clip either way would fulfill the intended purpose...

I got the caliper bled today... the upgrade is complete. There was a delay because the Grimeca caliper banjo bolt has to be 10x1.00 and the nissin MC banjo bolt is 10x1.25... so I had to make a second banjo bolt order.

The hose is secured to the brake stay (with zip ties until I can find a more elegant solution) and has enough length to follow the span of suspension travel.

I also have a belly pan made by Matt at Tannermatic (he makes a sweet fiberglass Z1 fender delete FYI).

I'll paint it the same Audi moro blue as the tank/tail

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 18 Mar 2019 11:24 #800582

• Move0ver
  • User
And we're done. Ready for spring. I just need to get some more stickers for the belly pan and take some better photos outdoors.

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 22 Mar 2019 11:44 #800845

• Move0ver
  • User
OK, here's pictures from the first ride this morning. Bike felt really good, I'm excited to get it on the dyno after making the final adjustments to the needles and installing the kerker race baffles.

I missed the golden hour when I took the pictures this morning... I'll have to get better ones later.

The following user(s) said Thank You: perrykz1000

Z1b winter upgrades... when you fall down the rabbit hole 22 Mar 2019 22:00 #800877

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
BIke looks great man. Nice combo of parts