Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 18 Jul 2019 06:37 #807720

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Keep the updates coming. That is how it is done. I have pages and pages of notes for the 550's for various combinations of exhausts and intakes. And even for one given set of exhaust and intake, you can have multiple jetting solutions. You don't find them until you try them. :)

They will help me a lot, and I'm sure it will help others who may not post or even be Kzrider members.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diggerdanh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 18 Jul 2019 17:31 #807779

• diggerdanh
  • diggerdanh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 89
Selfishly, these notes will serve as a reminder for me as they have done recently since the 2 year hiatus. It greatly helped to read where I was. But I definitely hope they help others in the future too.

I robbed the 220s from the other bike to test with. I will go ahead and order a pair of 230s but after testing those I feel much more comfortable jumping up from 220s to 240s. It still feels really lean at WOT and a look at the plugs confirms as they are nearly white. Skipping the 230s should not be a problem.

Now my concern is that I do not have big enough jets on hand. I have 240s and 250s. But i’ll Cross that bridge when/if I get there.

Mid range is still getting better as I go up in main jet size too. Everything from 1/4 throttle to 3/4 is pretty good and pulls hard.

It has been starting up and idling on first try. My only small concern at this point is that it idles at about 750 after starting and trying to warm up but about 15-1600 after riding a bit. But I have been wringing it out while testing the main jets and since it is running lean i’m hoping that is exaggerating the issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 19 Jul 2019 17:46 #807855

• diggerdanh
  • User
I swapped the 220 mains out and back to the other bike. I put the 240s in. They are better but still on the lean side.

Unfortunately I had a little low speed spill this afternoon due to my own stupidity. The bike seems to be fine. I am a little sore but nothing that will not pass in a day or so. Luckily it was on grass and I have been wearing my helmet on these test runs through the yard.

Tomorrow i’ll inspect everything to make sure all is still good and i’ll Continue carb tuning/testing.

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 19 Jul 2019 21:51 #807862

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Sacrifices made in the quest for knowledge. Glad you're ok!

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 21 Jul 2019 06:35 #807917

• diggerdanh
  • User

loudhvx wrote: Sacrifices made in the quest for knowledge. Glad you're ok!

Ha, ha, ha. True and thanks.

What I learned: you need to make sure that the clutch is fully disengaging when you pull in the clutch lever before attempting to do a plug chop. (luckily it was only in 2nd gear, I was wearing a helmet, it was on grass). I also learned that my clutch is not functioning as well as I thought even though I could take off from a stop fine and it switched through all the gears fine too. I tried adjusting it again and again and it is still not disengaging fully - if I put it in gear and pull in the clutch it does not roll freely. I went ahead and pulled the clutch cover and the clutch appeared to be sticky - sometimes only the outermost plate would move. So I pulled the plates and friction discs to wipe them down, remove any rust around the tabs and re-oil and re-install. I measured the springs and they are still within spec. I measured the friction plates and they are outside spec and right at the wear limit (0.106"). IIRC the bike has about 12K miles on it, I suspect the clutch parts are original. I ordered new friction discs (6) from KG Clutch Company for under $50 this morning. For the same price I could have bought NOS but 40 year old friction plates that have been sitting on a shelf kind of bother me.

After a second look the bike is fine after removing clumps of grass from everywhere you can imagine (even had a clump between the 2 carbs). The only real casualty was the original mirror which I was not going to use but had grown fond of over the last couple of weeks. The stem was bent in the spill.

Tuning will have to wait a week or so until the clutch parts arrive. I wonder if the new clutch will have any effect on the tuning. It did not feel like it was slipping but with the clutch that worn it may have been.

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 23 Jul 2019 19:57 #808055

• diggerdanh
  • User
I spent some of my down time waiting for clutch parts to arrive adding the “required” hoop. My welding skills are still crappy but my grinding skills continue to get better :)
Attachments:

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 23 Jul 2019 21:42 #808057

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Looks good to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diggerdanh

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 28 Jul 2019 15:15 #808318

• diggerdanh
  • User
New clutch friction disks came in yesterday. Everything was reassembled and it works so much better than before.

It took me a couple of rides around the yard to get the nerve to wind it out a bit since it hurt me the last time I was on it. But once I got comfortable I resumed testing the main jets. I am up to the 250s now. The mid range is even better, I have no issues anywhere with it, it pulls and pulls all the way to 3/4 throttle. But I am still too lean at the top end. The 250s were the largest that I had, so I am going to have to order more. I think I'll order 260-300. I cannot imagine it needing to go beyond that.

I am actually quite surprised that it needs more than 250s. I run 30 pilots and 220 mains the VM30s on my 76. I guess because these carbs are VM28s it needs bigger jetting for basically the same engine. Plus as noted before some PO had previously done some port and polish work on these heads in the past so I suppose they flow a little better.

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 05 Aug 2019 14:01 #808762

• diggerdanh
  • User
I was going the wrong way on the jets. I think the ignition issues I had with the loose ground wire to the ignitor when I tried the smaller jets made me think that the larger jets that I tried after fixing the loose ground felt better. I had moved up to 260s and I finally realized that the bike was just way too rich and the bogging at 3./4 to WOT was getting worse. I put back in the 180s and I am finally getting response from the engine at that 3/4 to full throttle range, it pulled and pulled. Whew, finally getting close! I was getting worried that there was something wrong with the timing, the advancer, etc.

The 180s are the lowest size that I have and the next size up that I do have is 200s and the bike did not like them. So I will have to make another trip to the local Kawasaki/Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha dealership, which surprisingly carries mikuni jets, to get 190s, 170s, 160s, 150s, 140s. I don't think I will get down that far but I might as well get them just in case.

I did a couple of other things in the mean time. I went ahead and cut off the tabs for mounting the side panels. I was thinking about keeping them in case I decided to put them back on, but with the high exhaust that this has now the left side one will not fit. And no reason to use one on the right and not on the left.

I also found and fixed a couple of misc loose nuts and bolts that I either missed before or had backed off.

Finally, when I took my spill a few weeks ago the housing for the right hand handlebar controls which also houses the throttle cable cracked where the throttle tightens into it. I tried to fix it with some epoxy twice but it has separated again and it leaves my throttle cable inoperable. I don't want to take a chance of this happening while riding so I am going to have to replace it. Unfortunately after taking a look at Ebay I do not see the same style that I had previously ordered. I will have to go with something similar but not exact. I only hope that the wiring is the same for the new one as the one I already have.

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 06 Aug 2019 02:52 #808783

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Thanks for the update.

I did do a preliminary startup on the 75 D2. I used 30 pilots and 140 mains. I was only running it to make sure the charging system was working since the previous owner sold it to us with the flywheel bolt sheared off and used epoxy to hold the flywheel on. The flywheel and starter clutch were being held in place by the starter chain! WTF! I really hate some previous owners.

Anyway its all back together and working now. The bike will not fully rev and the idle is very unstable. I still need to assess the coil's condition. We have some 120 mains to try next since it seems to take more throttle if we roll it on slowly.

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 06 Aug 2019 05:10 #808785

• diggerdanh
  • User
Wow, luckily you found that flywheel issue!

Good luck with the carb tuning.

1978 KZ400 B1 - Scramber to be 06 Aug 2019 05:59 #808788

• diggerdanh
  • User
Gave the bike a bath and took a few pics yesterday evening.