Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

How to remove rust from tank 09 Oct 2015 09:53 #693941

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

pete greek1 wrote:

650ed wrote:

Friesema993 wrote: I used KREAM its about $50 from your local bike shop.nits a 3 stage process and works amazingly.

How long ago did you coat the tank with it? I've read numerous nightmares of it failing over time. Ed

I Kreamed mine over 10 yrs. ago & have never had any issues, the most important thing is the prep work, if not done correctly, to the T, you WILL, have problems, flaking , peeling then clogging petcock filter, ETC.
& you cant re coat over it, & it's a real PITA to remove, so if someone plans on doing it, don't take any short cuts, & be meticulous , especially about the prep work, or you WILL regret it
Pete

Sounds like excellent advice! Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to remove rust from tank 09 Oct 2015 10:20 #693946

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286

jackleberry wrote:

davido wrote:

floivanus wrote: Hey davido, just checking, you say rinse with sofa, what exactly dobyou mean? Baking soda(washing soda, sodium bicarbonate etc) and brown vinegar like apple cider vinegar?

I tried the etch and prep on my goldwing tank; came out so-so; may have been diluted too much, it worked okay tho.

Brown vinegar as in ...not white vinegar! Not sure how else to describe it. You can put it on your chips. Unless youre American,then you put it on your French fries.( and not cidervinegar) The soda is 'washing soda. I think the same thing you use as solution for the electolisis method.Its just to neutralise the vinegar.

You're thinking of malt vinegar, and I can't see how it would possibly make any difference. Any 'flavor' of vinegar would work as they all contain roughly the same percentage of acetic acid.

Yes,malt vinegar sounds right. I was told that was the best stuff to use,I used it and it worked great. Maybe other vinegars would also work.I dont know.Havent tried them.
If anyones interested, Just put somethig rusty in a bowl of malt vinegar. Leave it a week and see how it comes out. I used the 2nd hand vinegar from my tank to do my seat base as well and a load of small bits and bobs.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Last edit: by davido.

How to remove rust from tank 09 Oct 2015 11:05 #693953

• jackleberry
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56

davido wrote:

jackleberry wrote:

davido wrote:

floivanus wrote: Hey davido, just checking, you say rinse with sofa, what exactly dobyou mean? Baking soda(washing soda, sodium bicarbonate etc) and brown vinegar like apple cider vinegar?

I tried the etch and prep on my goldwing tank; came out so-so; may have been diluted too much, it worked okay tho.

Brown vinegar as in ...not white vinegar! Not sure how else to describe it. You can put it on your chips. Unless youre American,then you put it on your French fries.( and not cidervinegar) The soda is 'washing soda. I think the same thing you use as solution for the electolisis method.Its just to neutralise the vinegar.

You're thinking of malt vinegar, and I can't see how it would possibly make any difference. Any 'flavor' of vinegar would work as they all contain roughly the same percentage of acetic acid.

Yes,malt vinegar sounds right. I was told that was the best stuff to use,I used it and it worked great. Maybe other vinegars would also work.I dont know.Havent tried them.
If anyones interested, Just put somethig rusty in a bowl of malt vinegar. Leave it a week and see how it comes out. I used the 2nd hand vinegar from my tank to do my seat base as well and a load of small bits and bobs.

The main problem with acids in general is that they attack the metal as well as the rust. They also have to be neutralized to prevent further corrosion. Evaporust will only dissolve the rust itself and can simply be rinsed with a small amount of water.

If you're going to use vinegar, you're probably doing it because it's cheap. White vinegar is the cheapest and works the same as any other, so use that. Coke works the same (phosphoric acid). Most of the (expensive) tank treatment systems use phosphoric acid.
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

How to remove rust from tank 14 Oct 2015 11:37 #694556

• PFD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Here's my go to for rust removal, I just drained the half full kz tank that's been sitting since oct 2012 and there's no new rust or any leaks. I've done 3-4 tanks this way now with the same results.

www.kzrider.com/forum/6-paint-a-bodywork...a-tank-pics-included
78 Kz1000A2, 77 Cb750K daily rider, pinstriper and signpainter