Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

any recomended step by step painting d.v.d's folks 31 Jan 2010 02:47 #345519

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
Well if you can find it.... What ever Kawi paint was on the ZX rims is amazing crap for this was a sonsabitch to get off....

Seriously, in using a Nylon wire brush wheel on a drill, took some time to get that down to bare metal on the rims for buffing.... :angry: This stuff was some truly tough ass paint...

Would be perfect for frame paint so if you happen to find out what it is please share... ;)
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

any recomended step by step painting d.v.d's folks 31 Jan 2010 04:44 #345522

• trianglelaguna
  • trianglelaguna's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
sunday shopping list...

sand blaster -cheaper depot version

spray gun.....maybe a gravity feed kit with some goodies to boot....

jasco..aircraft..and some other strippers...

primers...sand bags...wire wheels,sand blocks ,s papers,naval jellies,wire brushes,gloves,tarp, and rustolleum metal and plastic primers and some dupli test colors....

also settled on this guys 2 hr dvd to watch one night for any little tips...really in depth no nonsense appraoch

he can be googled under " Len Stuart Spray Painting 101 DVD" seems like what i'm after...

so...OMR...what about the oven cleaner soak...brake fluid soak????any chems even able to move the surface coats...or was it very strong rim paint.....

i mental noted to

use a pan and rag and soak my side covers,tailpeices,and small bracketts in lotts of brake fluid over night

to use aircraft stripper and wrap the frame in plastic untill it has done it's best on a layer ...then pressure waswh and re-do......

gonna maybe see if i canb get set up to start stripping next sat.....
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

any recomended step by step painting d.v.d's folks 31 Jan 2010 04:58 #345525

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
  • Thank you received: 18
Aircraft stripper works real well just dont get any on you. If you sand down your side covers a little then sandblast it will leave a nice surface for the primer to grab. I also sandblasted my frame after hitting it with some sand paper. Sandblasting can be time consuming but in my opinion it works the best at getting rust out of those nooks and crannies that a frame has. You can use a chemical stripper then finish with sandblasting. It is amazing how much rust is under the paint that you can not see untill you start stripping it. I have a plastic spray bottle of rust converter that woks excellent on bare metal after stripping, Navel jelly is a joke in my opinion and takes forever to work.
73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

any recomended step by step painting d.v.d's folks 31 Jan 2010 05:51 #345530

• trianglelaguna
  • trianglelaguna's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
good tip...i will copy this stuff to a list today...i only said naval jelly cause thats what i remember seeing when i was a kid...pretty pink.....tip taken.....tip toucher:laugh:

Kawickrice wrote:

Aircraft stripper works real well just dont get any on you. If you sand down your side covers a little then sandblast it will leave a nice surface for the primer to grab. I also sandblasted my frame after hitting it with some sand paper. Sandblasting can be time consuming but in my opinion it works the best at getting rust out of those nooks and crannies that a frame has. You can use a chemical stripper then finish with sandblasting. It is amazing how much rust is under the paint that you can not see untill you start stripping it. I have a plastic spray bottle of rust converter that woks excellent on bare metal after stripping, Navel jelly is a joke in my opinion and takes forever to work.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Page: