Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ricks R/R 27 Mar 2017 16:27 #757873

• gixxerkidd03
  • gixxerkidd03's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I just purchased a ricks r/r for my kz750e. Came wth no wiring diagragh and the colors don't match the OEM. Not to mention one less wire. Any advice?

Ricks R/R 10-306
1981 KZ750e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ricks R/R 27 Mar 2017 16:58 #757880

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2677
Send it back and get a SH775. Superior tech and cheaper (get a used one, they are very robust).

Wire R/R same as detailed in the Kawasaki service manual:
3 stator wires straight into the R/R AC input legs
Negative to battery
Positive output to battery, via the starter solenoid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Ricks R/R 27 Mar 2017 18:12 #757896

• gixxerkidd03
  • User
You had that bad of luck with yours huh?
1981 KZ750e

Ricks R/R 27 Mar 2017 18:16 #757897

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
What color are the wires? The photo on their site seems to be showing a 6-wire. I would contact the seller.

3 yellow = stator. black = ground (usually). red or red/white = power wire (usually). but I would verify.
brown = voltage sensor wire (not needed on some aftermarket r/r).

Typically, the brown wire is eliminated on some aftermarket voltage regulators. The brown wire on the stock unit is a sensor wire & is used by the voltage regulator to sense the battery voltage. On the 5-wire units, the brown wire isn't needed as the voltage sensing is built into the reg-rec circuitry.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Ricks R/R 27 Mar 2017 19:34 #757904

• gixxerkidd03
  • User
ya it has 3 white,1 black and one red, pretty oblivious. thanks or clearing up the brown wire . i am about to rewired the bke with a moto gadget M- unit so it should be pretty straight forward

any good after market cdi boxes?
1981 KZ750e

Ricks R/R 27 Mar 2017 21:14 #757915

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe 750 doesn't use a CDI. It uses an electronic ignition system w/ignitor. A CDI is a totally different type of ignition system (typically used on dirt bikes).

The Dyna S ignition fits your bike. Can't say it's a better system than stock though.

Ricks R/R 27 Mar 2017 21:20 #757916

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member

gixxerkidd03 wrote: You had that bad of luck with yours huh?

The Shindengen SH775 is a SERIES type R/R which means it helps protect your stator from shunted current overheat failure. That Rick's R/R shunts all the extra power generated by the generator that the bike doesn't need back to the stator where it can cook it. Do some google searching on SH775 and read up. Series R/R's are going to replace shunt type in the near future. It's just a matter of time. Plus, you can get a SH775 for less than $40 shipped so it's a nobrainer.

Ricks R/R 28 Mar 2017 08:31 #757947

• theApehouse
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11

Nessism wrote:
The Shindengen SH775 is a SERIES type R/R which means it helps protect your stator from shunted current overheat failure. That Rick's R/R shunts all the extra power generated by the generator that the bike doesn't need back to the stator where it can cook it. Do some google searching on SH775 and read up. Series R/R's are going to replace shunt type in the near future. It's just a matter of time. Plus, you can get a SH775 for less than $40 shipped so it's a nobrainer.

The only decent priced sh775's the I can find nowadays are generic versions. And I can't really find any reviews about the quality of them. The price of the actual Shindengen SH775 seems to have increased substantially in the last year or so. I've also read the SH847 is another good alternative, but has also had a price increase. Do you have any experince with generic versions or any recomendations for a good original source?
1987 KZ1000P, dynatek 2.2 coils

www.youtube.com/channel/UC3VtY1XWwKH3zK2trI2Hz1w

Ricks R/R 28 Mar 2017 12:13 #757957

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
Get a used one. They are super robust. Search "polaris RZR regulator" on ebay and you will find dozens of used ones. Just be sure to get confirmation that there is SH775 printed on the unit because most photos don't show the lettering.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, theApehouse

• Page: