Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 13:44 #745465

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148

loudhvx wrote: I'm pretty sure I did mention it on your Gpz750 charging thread. But I don't know if you had the chance to try a factory ignition.

Without going through all the pages... sorry I don't remember, but had you ever replaced the rotor?

There have been many threads over the last 15 years regarding some Kz650 charging systems and Dyna S issues, while many others were perfectly fine. It's possible there are just a bad batch of weaker rotors out there. I wonder if one found it's way onto your 750 (and maybe even on ahot1968's bike as well). The rotors do interchange between the 750-4's and 650's.

I honestly don't remember but I think I would have remembered that. One of the reasons I put the Dyna on was that the factory pickups were cracked so I figured what the hell.

Is there a way of telling if the rotor is weak? This was supposed to be NOS when I got it. Certainly looked it.

Rick's offers a high output I see....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 13:48 #745466

• GPzMOD750
  • User

ahot1968 wrote: I have replaced all components of the charging system the sator is now pushing 60-80 volts at 4000 RPMs

The Electrosport I'm using was doing 90+ @ 4-5k iirc.

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 20:20 #745514

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Is this also a problem with stock coils and their DC resistance?
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 18 Oct 2016 07:37 #745535

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

GPzMOD750 wrote:

loudhvx wrote: I'm pretty sure I did mention it on your Gpz750 charging thread. But I don't know if you had the chance to try a factory ignition.

Without going through all the pages... sorry I don't remember, but had you ever replaced the rotor?

There have been many threads over the last 15 years regarding some Kz650 charging systems and Dyna S issues, while many others were perfectly fine. It's possible there are just a bad batch of weaker rotors out there. I wonder if one found it's way onto your 750 (and maybe even on ahot1968's bike as well). The rotors do interchange between the 750-4's and 650's.

I honestly don't remember but I think I would have remembered that. One of the reasons I put the Dyna on was that the factory pickups were cracked so I figured what the hell.

Is there a way of telling if the rotor is weak? This was supposed to be NOS when I got it. Certainly looked it.

I mentioned it on page 7.
www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/60298...tor?start=120#735513

I think you had a lot going on at that time, and I didn't really push the subject because you already had a 3-phase stator, and that is what usually solves the issue on the Kz650's (the few 78-79 Kz650's that have problems with the Dyna S and 1-phase stators). The rotors would have to be pretty weak for a 3-phase stator (and 3-phase reg/rec) to not have enough output.

The Dyna S is the common factor in the topics with these type of charging problems (where everything has been replaced). I also run into the same issues on some Hondas running the Dyna S.

So I assume you never replaced the rotor. Rotors can get weak from heat or impact. Even though it was new, maybe it was dropped or something. Is it definitely a factory one? Could it be a lower-strength rotor for racing purposes (where they wouldn't use lights etc.) ?

To measure the strength of the magnetism directly would require a gauss meter. There is probably a way to make one, but it won't be trivial.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 18 Oct 2016 07:49 #745538

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

GPzMOD750 wrote:

ahot1968 wrote: I have replaced all components of the charging system the sator is now pushing 60-80 volts at 4000 RPMs

The Electrosport I'm using was doing 90+ @ 4-5k iirc.

I thought I recall you were testing at 5000 RPM. But I think the manual specifies 4000 RPM, and that is the only RPM at which a number is given. The tests should be done at 4000 RPM, and tachometers can be significantly off, so that is a factor to consider as well.

1-phase (two-wire) stators should have about 75 VAC at 4000 RPM.
3-phase(three-wire) stators should have about 50 VAC at 4000 RPM.
Those are typical values.

Open load tests can confirm when an alternator (rotor and stator combined) is bad, but not necessarily confirm that it is good.
A load test is needed, with heat and time involved, to really know for sure if an alternator is good. That is not an easy test to do.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 18 Oct 2016 07:51 #745539

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
Had the same issue on my Z1. I went LED's and a HID headlight. I suspect a weak rotor. :unsure:
Steve

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 18 Oct 2016 07:56 #745541

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

It shouldn't really vary. If you are holding a steady 4000 RPM (and know it is truly 4000) the AC voltage of unconnected stator wires should hold steady. Your values seem high (too good), actually. I usually only see about 50 VAC on each of the three pairs (on a stock rotor and stator).

If the stator is aftermarket, then you have to refer to their test values. If stators are wound differently (like an aftermarket stator might be), they can give different open-load test results.

Also, what did you replace the rotor (flywheel) with? An aftermarket one or a used factory one?

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 18 Oct 2016 08:07 #745544

• ahot1968
  • ahot1968's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have not replaced the Flywheel the sator I believe to be aftermarket and is new I say 50-60 simply because my volt meter is very sensitive and I did not hold steady at 4000 RPMs but in any event the vales I am getting are sufficient to be charging.

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 18 Oct 2016 09:23 #745564

• GPzMOD750
  • User

loudhvx wrote:

GPzMOD750 wrote:

I mentioned it on page 7.
www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/60298...tor?start=120#735513

I think you had a lot going on at that time, and I didn't really push the subject because you already had a 3-phase stator, and that is what usually solves the issue on the Kz650's (the few 78-79 Kz650's that have problems with the Dyna S and 1-phase stators). The rotors would have to be pretty weak for a 3-phase stator (and 3-phase reg/rec) to not have enough output.

The Dyna S is the common factor in the topics with these type of charging problems (where everything has been replaced). I also run into the same issues on some Hondas running the Dyna S.

So I assume you never replaced the rotor. Rotors can get weak from heat or impact. Even though it was new, maybe it was dropped or something. Is it definitely a factory one? Could it be a lower-strength rotor for racing purposes (where they wouldn't use lights etc.) ?

To measure the strength of the magnetism directly would require a gauss meter. There is probably a way to make one, but it won't be trivial.

Oops! I do now remember your reference to my junk thread. Must be old age, yesterday was my 45th b-day. I have had a ton of stuff on my plate as well. My apologies.

The [edit, rotor] I put on was in factory packaging, had all the misc. Tags an papers in there and was bagged up without any obvious usage marks or damage. The part number matched the Kawasaki.com numbers.

I contacted Rick's and they don't have a high output for this bike due to lack of space. I'll get a new battery when I put the bike back together and convert all my lights to LED, etc. if I have to.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.
  • Page: