Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starter will not engage with start button FIXED 16 Oct 2016 08:46 #745329

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

D.J.1941 wrote: :) FOUND THE SHORT's !!! I printed out a schematic and blew it up so I could actually see it. VERY Helpful in tracing wires. Downloaded it from the I-Net. I tested 12 volts power at the ignition switch first ok, then the Kill/ run switch ok, then the starter switch OK, then the starter lock-out on the clutch handle lever both sides ok, then I jumped a wire from the lock-out to the solenoid and it worked. The wire from the neutral lockout switch inside the headlight going to the starter solenoid was severed about 6 inches into the wiring harness where it passes the fork/neck under the gas tank. There were also 3 other partially severed wires which explained the turn signal and flasher malfunctions. Fixed with new connectors and shrink-wrap/ electrical tape. Then wrapped the whole harness near the repair with lots of electrical tape and reinstalled all the wire connections in the headlight...brain surgery. But it solved the problem, starter engages. Since the bike was laid-up so long- more than a year, it took a while to start. I shut it down when smoke from the oil change started due to the engine warming. Also noted the see-through oil gage was low will wail till it cools to top-off and try again. THANKS FOR ALL Your thoughts.:)

Anytime I've re-wired a Kz550, there were many broken or partially broken wires in that area right near the fork neck. That is the main trouble spot for broken wires. Nice job finding the break!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: