Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 17 Oct 2016 15:07 #745475

• askaraboz
  • askaraboz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

I'll bet it's grounding via the throttle tube. Key on, engine off, press horn button then twist throttle.

I tried but it doesn't work :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by askaraboz.

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 17 Oct 2016 15:08 #745476

• askaraboz
  • User
I couldn't find any adjusting screws or anything of that sort, do I need to open it up for that?

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 17 Oct 2016 19:48 #745504

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

askaraboz wrote: I couldn't find any adjusting screws or anything of that sort, do I need to open it up for that?

I wouldn't open it up.

Would hot wire the horn to a known good fully charged automotive battery and see if it toots.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 17 Oct 2016 22:35 #745516

• Copbike1000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Do you have a wiring schematic for your 2000 KZ1000P? I had to rewire my 1994 KZ1000P. The wiring was quite a challenge but everything works, took lots of patience and determination but it was self gratifying all said and done!

I ended removing KZP controls and replacing with Z1 controls, I was able to get everything electrical to work. If you need schematics let me know and I will dig for them.
1994 Kawasaki KZ1000P, Rancho Cordova, Ca
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598384...-project-bike#674472

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 18 Oct 2016 08:05 #745543

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

askaraboz wrote: I couldn't find any adjusting screws or anything of that sort, do I need to open it up for that?

If it has an adjustment screw, it will usually be visible on the outside.

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 18 Oct 2016 12:06 #745585

• askaraboz
  • User

I wouldn't open it up.

Would hot wire the horn to a known good fully charged automotive battery and see if it toots.

I did try it just now with a 14 gauge wire and it sounds super loud whether I ground it to the bike's battery or a frame (handlebars or anywhere else not painted)

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 18 Oct 2016 12:09 #745586

• askaraboz
  • User

Do you have a wiring schematic for your 2000 KZ1000P? I had to rewire my 1994 KZ1000P. The wiring was quite a challenge but everything works, took lots of patience and determination but it was self gratifying all said and done!

I ended removing KZP controls and replacing with Z1 controls, I was able to get everything electrical to work. If you need schematics let me know and I will dig for them.

I do have the book with all the schematics for it but I'm hoping I don't have to redo the whole thing :( unless I have time in the winter. I mean once I replaced the old fuse box with the modern one with blade fuses it gave me zero problems. But I understand what you're saying would be awesome to know all electrical is in good shape.

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 18 Oct 2016 13:39 #745605

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

askaraboz wrote: . . . super loud whether I ground it to the bike's battery or a frame (handlebars or anywhere else not painted)

Indicates that the horn/siren switch is doing an imperfect grounding job.

I don't know what the switch looks like inside, so this will be just a SWAG.
But suspecting there may some corrosion on whatever metal parts inside the switch are supposed to make contact in order to complete the ground needed to blow the horn. Or perhaps a solder defect where the ground wire from the horn connects inside the switch.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 18 Oct 2016 15:03 #745610

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
The KZ1000P horn has two wires.

From the KZ1000P wiring diagram

www.google.com/search?q=KZ1000P+wiring+d...rc=cqmTiyuH7iMlhM%3A

it seems to me that one of the two wires is a battery positive wire (probably brown in color) that provides constant battery positive voltage to the horn whenever the ignition switch is in the ON position.

The other horn wire goes to a contact inside the horn button switch.
There's another contact inside the horn button switch that ultimately goes to ground.
Pressing the horn button is supposed to connect the two contacts, whereby the horn becomes grounded and supposedly blowing.

Here's what it looks like on the wiring diagram:

If not already done, would assure that both horn wires are securely connected to their respective contacts inside the horn switch.

Would also inspect the 9 wire connector to assure good clean snug connections through the connector (especially the top two plugs to and from the contacts inside the horn switch).

I suspect there's an imperfect connection somewhere along the grounding line between the horn > switch contacts > ultimate ground.

There may also be a bullet connector on a relatively short black/yellow wire from the battery negative post that provides connection to the wire from the horn switch. Would assure that the bullet connector is clean and snug and providing good contact.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 18 Oct 2016 15:24 #745613

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
For general reference, it seems there are eight wires to/from the switch that operates the turn-signals, horn, siren, and hazards.

Would assure that each of the eight end connectors is clean and snug and doing its job (especially the end connectors on the two wires attached to the horn contacts inside the switch).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Page: