Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 12 Sep 2016 14:20 #741971

• askaraboz
  • askaraboz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My 2000 KZ1000P had an aftermarket horn installed by the previous owner. Horn works fine but only when the motorcycle is moving when the throttle is applied. If I'm sitting at a light or not using throttle it doesn't work. Same if the key is turned on but the bike isn't started it makes a slight faint sound when activating horn switch but no horn. What could be the cause of this, where should I start looking? Thank you very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 12 Sep 2016 14:35 #741972

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2613
The horn button completes the ground. Check if it has good contact to the bars. Could be it won't work if you don't have high enough voltage present at idle or stopped.
Steve

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 12 Sep 2016 17:36 #742002

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Would also assure good connections of both wires at the horn.

The horn might have a squelch type adjustment, usually a screw that tightens or loosens the intensity of vibration. Too tight and it won't toot. Too loose and get a weak toot. Best adjustment is perhaps just before too tight (loudest toot).

Perhaps adjusted too tight , and riding with throttle applied imparts just enough vibration to overcome the failure to otherwise toot.

Could test-toot with engine not running by attaching hot wires from the battery posts to the horn terminals.

Noted that nut for exhaust clamp is missing.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 12 Sep 2016 17:41 #742004

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2613
LOL good eye. :lol:
Steve

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 13 Sep 2016 10:15 #742080

• askaraboz
  • User
Oh yeah good eye indeed! :) Gotta put that back on. Will play with the horn and report back if anything changes. Thank you!

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 13 Sep 2016 14:23 #742104

• Bowman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
I just ran a ground wire from the clamp that holds the horn switch on to the handlebar to the frame, fixed it for me. Painted handlebars didn't like to ground the horn switch.
Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 13 Sep 2016 16:03 #742110

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

askaraboz wrote: \ Will play with the horn and report back if anything changes. Thank you!

After that statement, I gather you don't know what else is referred to as a "horn" in Australia.... :laugh: Not too sure if I'm looking forward to the report... :P

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 14 Sep 2016 04:38 #742168

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
Besides being a worn out switch you might want to wire it through a relay and on a different circuit than the main fuse. It looks like that bad boy wants to pull more current than the stock switches want to supply

I used Cycle Terminal mini 4 pin relays for my horn and headlight circuits.

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 14 Oct 2016 11:57 #745233

• askaraboz
  • User
Sorry for taking so long but I didn't have time to work on it. So I took the switch apart and everything inside looks and works as it should. So horn switch on police bike doubles as a siren switch so maybe that is causing the problem after they disconnected all the siren equip. Again the problem is when I turn the key on and press the horn button I hear the horn make a slight faint noise as if it doesn't have enough power to produce a full sound. When I start the bike and the bike is idling it does the same thing however if I apply even the slightest throttle the horn beeps like it's supposed to. As soon as I let go off the throttle while still pressing the horn button it stops beeping immediately going back to faint sound. I think that eliminates bad contact/connection theory? Do you think I should just wire a separate switch for the horn and see if that solves the problem? Thanks again for the help.

The other electrical issue I have is that my turn signals are a bit out of whack. The right turn signal blinks just fine while the left one either blinks very slowly as in a blink every 3 seconds or it just stops blinking at all. What could possibly cause that issue?

Last edit: by askaraboz.

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 14 Oct 2016 16:05 #745248

• retterath
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
I'll bet it's grounding via the throttle tube. Key on, engine off, press horn button then twist throttle.

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 16 Oct 2016 10:41 #745340

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Could also be that the voltage is just a little higher when the bike is running above idle, and that is enough to get the horn going. I would see if there is an adjustment as Patton said. See if you can adjust it to work with the bike not running.

KZ1000P horn only works when I'm riding 16 Oct 2016 14:34 #745356

• Copbike1000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I would also check your support bracket from horn to frame, from looking at your pics, looks like bracket might have a fresh coat of paint? If so, grind down the paint on both ends of the bracket so that you have a good ground for the horn circuit. I have dealt with so many faulty ground issues. You'd be surprised how many issues a bad ground can cause. Good luck! One more note, if you have another horn laying around, try connecting the temporary horn and make sure to ground it, and see if it works.
1994 Kawasaki KZ1000P, Rancho Cordova, Ca
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598384...-project-bike#674472

• Page: