Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ400 Low Beam and Front Brake Light Won't Work 24 Aug 2016 16:23 #739797

• ESCHBACH
  • ESCHBACH's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am restoring/building a kz400. I have now come across some electrical issues that I can't seem to figure out. My low beams quit working and my front brake light indicator won't work either. The rear brake does. Anybody have any ideas of where to look? I've checked fuses and wires and everything seems to be connected correctly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ400 Low Beam and Front Brake Light Won't Work 24 Aug 2016 16:58 #739804

• Nerdy
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 377

ESCHBACH wrote: I am restoring/building a kz400. I have now come across some electrical issues that I can't seem to figure out. My low beams quit working and my front brake light indicator won't work either. The rear brake does. Anybody have any ideas of where to look? I've checked fuses and wires and everything seems to be connected correctly.

Is your low beam burned out? Is your reserve lighting device lit? Does your high beam work? If the high beam works then the 20A fuse feeding the headlight is good. If neither beam works I would replace the fuse. Even if it appears to be good there may be a problem with it that you can't see. You may need to mail order the fuses unless you can find .25"x1.0" AGX fuses somewhere. Also your bike may have a spare inside the fuse block.

Related questions:

What year is your 400?

Do you have a service manual of any kind?

Do your turn signals work?

Did the brake light ever work via the front brake light switch? This switch is below and behind the headlight, and is in a fitting that is part of the hydraulic line for the front disk. Check the connections to ensure they're good.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

KZ400 Low Beam and Front Brake Light Won't Work 24 Aug 2016 17:02 #739805

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
I'm thinking ground. Black ant yellow wire.
Steve

KZ400 Low Beam and Front Brake Light Won't Work 24 Aug 2016 17:58 #739811

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
You need to tell us the year and specific model of your bike; there are major differences between the various models. It's best to simply add that info to your signature line. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ400 Low Beam and Front Brake Light Won't Work 24 Aug 2016 18:07 #739813

• ESCHBACH
  • User
Hey sorry guys. I don't have internet at my parts and I'm trying to do all this here off my phone. Not sure how to navigate this page. It's a 78 KZ400. All the fuses are good. Turn signals work. High beams work. Ground wires all look good. Haven't got time to check the switch yet. Thanks guys.

KZ400 Low Beam and Front Brake Light Won't Work 28 Aug 2016 20:06 #740310

• ESCHBACH
  • User
Ended up getting the brake lights and low beam to work. However I have another issue. My running light on tail light and tach and speedo lights quit working. I understand there is a ground that runs all the way through connecting the two, according to manual, but they're not working. I have everything wired in correctly it looks like.

• Page: