Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 24 Aug 2016 12:26 #739765

• reel
  • reel's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was wondering if someone might help me diagnose starting issue. The bike always started great the first time, but after riding it and it getting hot when I would start it again it would barely want to start. Now recently after riding about 100 miles on it I got off of it and went inside the house for maybe 5 minutes then came out and tried to start and it just clicked one time. I know the battery is fine, and I located the starter solenoid and felt and heard the click from that location. I took a screwdriver and bridged the gap between both solenoid post and tried to crank the bike, and I got nothing but the single click. I have a replacement solenoid on the way, but just wondered what everyone thought it might be, if not the solenoid. :(

Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 24 Aug 2016 16:19 #739796

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Starter motor worn out.
Steve

Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 24 Aug 2016 16:24 #739798

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Well if you jumperded the solenoid, you bypassed the contractors inside it.
So if it the starter motor didn't engage, then it must be the starter that is not running.
Could be burned brushes or commutator.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Last edit: by missionkz.

Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 26 Aug 2016 09:41 #740029

• reel
  • User
Okay update! I took the starter out and tested it by attaching batter to positive post and grounding to the casing. The starter fired right up, so then I attached it back to the starter wire that goes to solenoid attached positive post on battery and grounded to casing on starter and the starter fired up. So lets recap, not the solenoid, not wire from solenoid to starter, and not starter.

Maybe starter switch to solenoid (doubt)? Maybe something from starter to starter clutch? Something seized in that case. This has been first attempt to fix anything on my bike, so be easy on me. If I can't figure it out I will have my bike mechanic show on Tuesday.

Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 26 Aug 2016 09:52 #740034

• Nerdy
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 379

reel wrote: Okay update! I took the starter out and tested it by attaching batter to positive post and grounding to the casing. The starter fired right up, so then I attached it back to the starter wire that goes to solenoid attached positive post on battery and grounded to casing on starter and the starter fired up. So lets recap, not the solenoid, not wire from solenoid to starter, and not starter.

Maybe starter switch to solenoid (doubt)? Maybe something from starter to starter clutch? Something seized in that case. This has been first attempt to fix anything on my bike, so be easy on me. If I can't figure it out I will have my bike mechanic show on Tuesday.

I think you may have answered your own question in the first paragraph. What did you mention at first but then leave off the list of things to rule out? Hint: starts with a g. :-)
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 26 Aug 2016 10:14 #740035

• DannyKZ
  • User
  • 2 KZ400's
  • Thank you received: 1
I don't think it starts with a G... it starts with an H... HEAT.

Once the engine is hot, and the starter gets hot it fails. It's a bad brush or corrosion on the contacts in the starter that's causing the issue. Not the ground.

Install everything as it was... ride it, and try to start it when it's hot again. I bet you'll still have an issue.
Life's a tour, not a race. Just stay out of my way when I'm touring.

Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 26 Aug 2016 10:36 #740036

• reel
  • User
See that is just it, it got to a point where it wouldn't start any more. I can put it all back in but it will not crank, when I hit the starter button it just clicks. Since my last response I attached it all back together with starter laying on stand and hit the starter button and it would make the starter fire, something it was not doing while the starter was in the bike. So has to be something to do with something that comes after the starter motor, but then again you are right it could be wiring, since it is 34 years old. Maybe me pulling starter out is giving it a good enough connection to work. I am going to change out the starter wire while I have it out.

Re:Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 26 Aug 2016 11:23 #740043

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
On the 1st Gen Vmax (I know it's not a Kaw) they are known to have hot start issues. When the engine is cool so is the starter motor and it starts easy. When the engine is warm/hot so is the starter motor and the engine barely spins. The answer is getting a good ground in the starter motor itself. You have to take the starter motor apart and bend a couple tangs to get a better ground connection.

Hope this helps.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 26 Aug 2016 12:56 #740052

• jonstocker
  • User
Could be similar to what I had, maybe clean the inside of the clips that hold the fuses. Oxidation over the years could be causing high resistance and limiting current flow. Use sandpaper or a dremel with a wire brush. I had to unbolt and lift the fuse box slightly to get in there with the dremel.

Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 26 Aug 2016 13:11 #740054

• MDZ1rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
When you say you tested the starter out of the bike with it "laying on stand"... How strong did it spin? I clamp starters in a big ol' vice to test them. A good starter would have jumped off the stand if you didn't have it clamped down or a good grip. It may spin unloaded, but it's not strong enough to crank the engine.

Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 30 Aug 2016 17:51 #740598

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Using a stronger Honda starter motor in a Kawasaki

Buda from the www.kzrider.com forum wrote:

Will not turn the engine over....10.25 10 1 comp 1170 cc......took starter out and ran it with a battery....the starter spins strong but starts to squeal after a second.....also the shaft has a lot of play side to side. Bad starter I’m guessing What do you guys think?

Took the starter apart.....the bushing on the drive end is cracked

MFolks Wrote:
For a stronger starter motor, read this:

Using a Honda Mitsuba SM-220 Starter in the Kz (copied from the KZ rider website)

The CB F's used 2 different starters. Look for the one marked .8kw. They also have one that is .7kw. This owner noticed a difference when he installed his. He read that you can remove the outer housing, and rotate it. this will re-align the outer power terminal, to a better location. if you don’t do this, you will need to grind some metal from the chain cover to gain clearance. Also install a heavier gauge wire to the starter , I’d recommend 6 AWG(American Wire Gauge) welding cable with the correct terminal ends to match the treaded studs for the solenoid and starter motor. Don’t forget the cable from the battery to the solenoid.

The stock KZ starter is .6kw in size

www.stockers.com/index.php?dt=HS-29 (Mitsuba SM-220)

Buda Wrote:
Thanks MFolks, Just ordered the rebuild kit before I read your post....If that doesn't work out I'll give the Honda starter a shot.

Got a the Honda starter MFolks recommended (SM 220 12 volt 0.8 KW) on ebay...hell of a difference.....Turns over like the plugs are missing....I'm sure the new battery doesn't hurt, but its a hell of a difference.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, seanile

Starter, Starter relay (solenoid) 82' KZ1000 LTD 31 Aug 2016 05:22 #740631

• reel
  • User
Okay, we took starter out of the bike and opened her up. The brushes were about 50% gone one of the wires was snapped in to, so probably only getting about half the power needed to start the bike. I have ordered a new starter should be in on Thursday and then I can button her up on Friday. Thanks so much for the information.

jeff

• Page: