Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1980 kz750 weak spark, first post 22 Aug 2016 19:00 #739557

• sleazymyk
  • sleazymyk's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So guys I have been searching this forum for 2 days trying to answer my own questions but I decided to pipe up to see if I could get the answer I am looking for. I am working on a 1980 kz 750, it originally came to me needing a starter clutch. I replaced that without hearing the engine run, now it cranks great but I haven't got the bike to fire. Tests showed weak spark, and I found a pickup coil that when current was applied to it it would fluctuate resistance, while the other coil stayed steady. So I had the bikes owner order a Dynatek ds2 for the bike.
My question, which has been partially answered by searching through the forum, is does the dynatek ignition bypass the stock IC ignitor? If so, does anyone have pictures of what they did with the IC ignitor? Also, will I need the owner to order some higher resistance coils, and plug wires?

FYI owner also wanted to add pod filters and 4:1 header to the bike before we got it running. So we have the carbs jetted for the pipe and filters, just trying to get the last part of the equation in working order.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 kz750 weak spark, first post 22 Aug 2016 19:10 #739559

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673
The Dyna S requires coils with resistance between 3-5 ohms. To install the Dyna S just follow the directions. The system completely bypasses the ignitor. While you are working on the bike you may want to check the voltage at the coils. You should have about 11 volts or thereabouts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sleazymyk

1980 kz750 weak spark, first post 23 Aug 2016 06:12 #739599

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I'm pretty sure Dynatek recommends their green 3.0 ohm coils for the Dyna-S. Z1Enterprises.com has them.
The ignition system instructions are linked in the Dyna-S product description at Z1Ent.

Mounting Dyna coils. You'll need to install mounting brackets to mount the new coils. Some guys use L-brackets from the hardware store, 2 per side. I made brackets from angled aluminum bar from the home depot to offset the coils for better clearance of the spark plug wires.

..... prototype.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sleazymyk

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1980 kz750 weak spark, first post 23 Aug 2016 09:55 #739636

• sleazymyk
  • sleazymyk's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks guys, I checked both primary and secondary circuit in the coils and they're not open or short, and I have both good voltage and grounds on the primary circuits.

The instructions did not mention anything about the igniter and that's why I was confused. Should I leave the igniter on the bike and plugged in?

1980 kz750 weak spark, first post 23 Aug 2016 10:33 #739646

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
No the "grounds" go to the pickups for 1/4, 2/3.
Steve

1980 kz750 weak spark, first post 23 Aug 2016 11:47 #739659

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
I don't think it matters if you leave the ignitor or take it out. If you are going to remove it and just throw it away please hit me up, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a cheap backup.

1980 kz750 weak spark, first post 19 Sep 2016 14:53 #742909

• OLJOCLARK
  • User
Hello Nessism.I,m a new member,I've got a question for you maybe you can answer for me.I,m trying to get a 1980 750 ltd back out in the world and I've noticed every picture I see of one ,the clutch cover plate and ignition cover plate are two separate plates.Mine is one cover for both.My vin says kz750 G. Can you shed some light on that?Thanks
1980 Kawasaki 750 ltd G Twin

Re:RE: 1980 kz750 weak spark, first post 19 Sep 2016 15:07 #742911

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148

Nessism wrote: I don't think it matters if you leave the ignitor or take it out. If you are going to remove it and just throw it away please hit me up, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a cheap backup.

Send me your address.

1980 kz750 weak spark, first post 19 Sep 2016 15:33 #742916

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member

OLJOCLARK wrote: Hello Nessism.I,m a new member,I've got a question for you maybe you can answer for me.I,m trying to get a 1980 750 ltd back out in the world and I've noticed every picture I see of one ,the clutch cover plate and ignition cover plate are two separate plates.Mine is one cover for both.My vin says kz750 G. Can you shed some light on that?Thanks

Have you checked the parts fishe? www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/...NE+COVERS/parts.html

1980 kz750 weak spark, first post 19 Sep 2016 17:18 #742930

• OLJOCLARK
  • User
Thanks,I,m sure I,ll be referring back to that later.I should have looked at the Gallery sooner.There are lots of 750,s with the single cover plate.Looks like there were many options,handlebars,Fenders,and such.do you know what carberators you have? Assuming they are stock.
1980 Kawasaki 750 ltd G Twin

• Page: