Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Kz650 No Spark New Member First Post 22 Aug 2016 12:23 #739511

• KZ650 Cafe
  • KZ650 Cafe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently bought a 1977 kz650 that has already had the dynatek ignition swap done. The bike is pretty well put together and when I brought it home after 3 years of sitting in a back yard it started right uo with fresh gas, and ran particularly well. Now it's been raining for a week I changed the gas and hooked up the electronic starter correctly and now I have no spark at all. I am getting gas cause my plugs are wet which also tells me I have no spark. What should I do and where should I start trouble shooting... I have had the bike running since I brought it home and I haven't changed plugs coils or anything. Just cleaned carbs slightly and she fired. Now no spark .... at all.... I'm getting frustrated
Sam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KZ650 Cafe. Reason: changed title

Kz650 no spark 22 Aug 2016 12:37 #739513

• KZ650 Cafe
  • User
this is the bike stated in my last post, i really want to bring her back to life!!!
Sam
Attachments:

Kz650 no spark 22 Aug 2016 14:51 #739527

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
No spark across soaked plugs is not a test of no spark!
Try that test with new or dry clean plugs
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Last edit: by missionkz.

Kz650 no spark 22 Aug 2016 15:20 #739530

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
You say that you just hooked up the starter correctly. Are you sure? How was it hooked up before and why was it not hooked up properly in the first place? If it was hooked up in a non-factory manner because the wiring harness has been butchered, you may have bigger problems.
Also, if you were using the kick start and are now trying to use the electric start, and the battery is a little bit weak, you will get no spark. The battery has to be in top notch shape to start KZs. That means 13.5 or more volts at rest, and all good cells.If in doubt, you can take it to an auto parts store that has a battery tester. If you have an Interstate Batteries store near by, they will gladly test it.

To get full voltage to the coils and starter, all the electrical connections in both circuits need to be clean and tight. The battery ground cable (both ends of it) is often the cause of low electrical power due to corrosion.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Kz650 no spark 22 Aug 2016 15:24 #739531

• KZ650 Cafe
  • User
I'm sure cause I've already fixed it now.... lol had a broke coil ground and a broke hot wire to the oposite coil. I'm a newbe here but not to bikes , enev though I made a beginner mistake and didn't remove the tank and check the coils first off.... so it's fixed running on all four with more power than ever lol. And new plugs come Friday with my new pods and speedo cable
Sam

Kz650 no spark 22 Aug 2016 15:25 #739532

• KZ650 Cafe
  • User
And the starter was just never hooked up when I bought it... lol all I did was run my ground and positive to starter from solenoid. Everything works great now that im not rushing at 1am lol
Sam

Kz650 no spark 22 Aug 2016 15:28 #739533

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Good deal. Do you know that installing those individual pod filters will jack up your fuel mixtures? You may have to re-jet the carbs. If the bike has aftermarket exhaust, count on rejetting.

I just looked at your pic of the 4-1 header with a shorty muffler. A Dynojet Stage 3 might be a good place to start. If you like doing it yourself, Jets r Us may be for you.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Kz650 no spark 22 Aug 2016 18:06 #739548

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

KZ650 Cafe wrote: I'm sure cause I've already fixed it now.... lol had a broke coil ground and a broke hot wire to the oposite coil. I'm a newbe here but not to bikes , enev though I made a beginner mistake and didn't remove the tank and check the coils first off.... so it's fixed running on all four with more power than ever lol. And new plugs come Friday with my new pods and speedo cable

Good, but there is no common or individual "ground" for the col(s). That's not how they work.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Kz650 no spark 23 Aug 2016 06:30 #739600

• KZ650 Cafe
  • User
i bought the bike for 400 out of some guys back yard and got it running in 4 hours lol i just stuck that shorty muffler on it to quiet it down , i have the bike 2 weeks total now, so more stuff will come in time. i wanted to do a slip on m4 muffler because i like how they sound. but idk im still reviewing my options. ive been digging into the bike more and its pretty well put together , the wiring seems proffess everything shrink wrapped and zip tied neetly. i took the bike for a few pulls last night and she rips! almost runs to good for what i am used to lol my little motard and my dz have no match for this thing lol
Sam
Attachments:

Kz650 no spark 23 Aug 2016 06:32 #739601

• KZ650 Cafe
  • User
@missionkz one of the wires on each coil had broke off all i did was reconnect them to the locations where they previous connected. the bike had been sitting in a back yard for three years im pretty sure i broke the wires bucking with the carbs
Sam

• Page: