TOPIC:

'83 KZ550 LTD Right turn signal working improperly 22 Aug 2016 07:28 #739477

• LesbianSeagull
  • LesbianSeagull's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Here to end my reverse Midas touch curse
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi everyone

As title says, my right turn signal is not working properly on the front or back.

After bike has been off for a while, the right turn signal WILL work for a few minutes. Dummy light on instrument cluster illuminates too. Both seem to stop working when bike starts and warms up. Any ideas ?

All three lights (Two ambers and head lamp) on front of bike illuminate, and left turn signal works fine. I've replaced both flasher units inside of 2 weeks ago, No right turn signal still. Any ideas ? Thank you
Some days you're the windshield. Some days, you're the bug.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'83 KZ550 LTD Right turn signal working improperly 22 Aug 2016 08:39 #739491

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 362

LesbianSeagull wrote: Hi everyone

As title says, my right turn signal is not working properly on the front or back.

After bike has been off for a while, the right turn signal WILL work for a few minutes. Dummy light on instrument cluster illuminates too. Both seem to stop working when bike starts and warms up. Any ideas ?

All three lights (Two ambers and head lamp) on front of bike illuminate, and left turn signal works fine. I've replaced both flasher units inside of 2 weeks ago, No right turn signal still. Any ideas ? Thank you

When you say "both seem to stop working" do you you mean that the console light and the turn signal lights will no longer light up when you engage the switch?

I believe that if you had a bad ground those lights (console, signals) would come on but would not blink.

If one signal came on but not the other I would suspect the wiring to that particular signal.

However, if nothing comes on at all I would suspect an issue with the turn signal switch itself.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: LesbianSeagull

'83 KZ550 LTD Right turn signal working improperly 22 Aug 2016 08:43 #739493

• LesbianSeagull
  • User
Yes right console light and right turn signal stop working, no longer light up when I engage the switch

'83 KZ550 LTD Right turn signal working improperly 22 Aug 2016 09:14 #739496

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member

LesbianSeagull wrote: Yes right console light and right turn signal stop working, no longer light up when I engage the switch

The switch might be worn, but it sounds like there might be another issue as well (since the switch shouldn't be affected by the engine running or not running).

If I read your post correctly, the left signal works fine all the time (engine running, engine off, hot, cold), so we know there is always power getting to the switch and there is always power getting to the left side of flasher unit and then to the signals.

The right signal works only when the engine is off or cold (before it warms up). This makes me think there is a break in the wire that leads from the right side of the switch to the flasher. That wire will pass under the tank/above the engine where it is subjected to slightly higher temperatures: the ends may be together when cold but may separate when warm.

If you have a multimeter, you can check to see if there is any power arriving at the flasher from the wire connected to the right side of the switch. If you do not have a multimeter, you should get one. :-)
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Last edit: by Nerdy. Reason: minor clarification

'83 KZ550 LTD Right turn signal working improperly 22 Aug 2016 09:56 #739498

• LesbianSeagull
  • User
You have interpreted my post correctly. Lefty works fine all the time, dummy light and both indicators. Righty only seems to work when bike is cold.

I do have a multimeter and I will do just that after work. You mean to actually put the mulitmeter pins to the right flasher unit's connection itself? what readings am I looking for? Just a few volts or.....? I hope I am not confusing you lol.

'83 KZ550 LTD Right turn signal working improperly 22 Aug 2016 10:39 #739500

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member

LesbianSeagull wrote: You have interpreted my post correctly. Lefty works fine all the time, dummy light and both indicators. Righty only seems to work when bike is cold.

Ok, good. :-)

I do have a multimeter and I will do just that after work. You mean to actually put the mulitmeter pins to the right flasher unit's connection itself? what readings am I looking for? Just a few volts or.....? I hope I am not confusing you lol.

No, not confusing. :laugh: I was thinking you disconnect the right-turn-signal wire from the flasher and place one meter probe on the end of the wire and one to ground, then activate the switch. (You may need a helper to do this.) I do not have the wiring diagram handy but the main thing is that there is a non-zero result. Your bike should have a 12v flasher so you would looking for 12vdc. Anything less than that would indicate an issue with the connection from the switch to the flasher.

Good luck!
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

'83 KZ550 LTD Right turn signal working improperly 22 Aug 2016 10:56 #739503

• LesbianSeagull
  • User
Awesome! Your detailed response is super appreciated. I'll get into this ASAP and report my findings when I have a chance.

Thanks!!

'83 KZ550 LTD Right turn signal working improperly 22 Aug 2016 12:17 #739509

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
my mistake. wrong topic. doh.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

'83 KZ550 LTD Right turn signal working improperly 22 Aug 2016 12:55 #739516

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member

LesbianSeagull wrote: Awesome! Your detailed response is super appreciated. I'll get into this ASAP and report my findings when I have a chance.

Thanks!!

You're welcome! I just hope I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of correct. :-)
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

• Page: