• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ550 Cylinder 1 Down 18 Aug 2016 23:13 #739207

• GatlinM
  • GatlinM's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all,

Currently working on some repairs for the season, I've been perplexed with my 1st cylinder not getting spark.

Last week, I was actually showing a buddy how to check for spark on my KZ550, he was considering purchasing a non running bike. I mistakenly left the wire off cylinder 1.

Later, upon starting I quickly noticed my mistake, with the wire hanging against the fins, I shut off the bike. Upon reattaching, the bike ran just as poorly, and I limped home. Cylinder 1 getting no spark, and I fear I've overloaded some electrical.

I'm mostly worried about replacing ($$) my Dyna Coils, and Dyna Ignition, both a little over a year old, as I had similar coil problems last year. I'm sitting on brand new plugs, new battery, and currently replacing some HOT wires.

I'm checking major junctions for full voltage, and getting close to the headlight and Ignition switch. My main worry is the spliced Dyna Ignition, right before the coils. I get ~12V to coils, though, with Dyna Electric Ignition connected, I drop to ~9V. Also, with Ignition connected, my main fuse has been running extremely hot. Melting into the plastic fuse box, and promoting me towards an immense rewire while the KZ is down.

Thanks riders for help.
-Gatlin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GatlinM.

KZ550 Cylinder 1 Down 19 Aug 2016 12:19 #739239

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If you run the ignition with plug wires unconnected, or without a good path for spark current, you can damage the coil and/or igniter.

As long as the path for the spark has no more than about a 1/2" gap, it will usually be ok, like when checking for spark. But if one plug is under compression, as in when the motor is running, that gap is effectively 10 times bigger than the actual physical gap, and with the other plug wire disconnected, the total gap, for the entire path, is too big for the spark current to be able to flow. That will damage the coil or igniter or both.

I would suspect the Dyna S ignition first.

You can check by swapping the primary wires at the coils and cranking the motor. If the problem moves, it's the igniter. If the problem stays with the same pair of plugs, the coil is bad.

Make sure all 4 plug wires have a path to ground when checking, and keep the gaps small when checking. All four plugs should be able to make 1/8" sparks with no problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GatlinM

KZ550 Cylinder 1 Down 19 Aug 2016 12:22 #739240

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
The melted fuse box is probably just dirty connections with the fuses...very common. Before rewiring, try to just replace the fuse box with 3 individual fuse holders using the newer, water-tight spade fuse holders.

KZ550 Cylinder 1 Down 19 Aug 2016 12:41 #739241

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
When was the last time the valves were adjusted?
Steve

Re:KZ550 Cylinder 1 Down 22 Aug 2016 16:05 #739537

• GatlinM
  • User
Thanks y'all,

It's been about a year since pulling the carbs and checking valves. While it's garaged I'm doing a bit of rewiring and tuneup.

Finally a day off, I'll report after testing.

Re:KZ550 Cylinder 1 Down 24 Aug 2016 15:21 #739787

• GatlinM
  • User
Continued voltage checks, and rewired main electric line. Getting ~12v up to the coils. Resistance at 2.9 on both. I tried checking resistance on spark wires as well, and get no reading..

I went to check spark last night, nothing from the new plugs.

Was considering a rush delivery of a single Dyna coil (DC1-1) on eBay, but now suspecting the Dyna S.

Re:KZ550 Cylinder 1 Down 24 Aug 2016 15:25 #739788

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Have you checked the caps?
Steve

Re:KZ550 Cylinder 1 Down 24 Aug 2016 21:17 #739843

• GatlinM
  • User
Caps are the stock sheaths that came with the Dyna coils. I had been taking readings at the naked spark wire. Maybe I'm just not understanding the second reading on the coils. Double checked gaps at ~.025.

I did get a chance to rewire some old bullet connectors, and noticed my loose splice to the Dyna Ignition had crumbled, so I cut down the wire and secured it better, Ignition is getting power. Test fire up and cylinder 2/3 are firing, pipes are hot, 1/4 are cold.

I switched over ignition wires on the coils, and harsh starting, backfire, and stalling. Switching back, I pull plug 1 and check for spark, its firing a bit inconsistently. When I fire up, I get 2/3/4 firing, and 1 is running hotter than it's been for the last week.

Re:KZ550 Cylinder 1 Down 25 Aug 2016 12:19 #739917

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
What color are your Dyna coils? You should have green ones for use with the Dyna S. The gray ones will draw more current than the Dyna S ignition is rated for.

Of what you have, the Dyna S would be the most likely suspect. Their coils are very reliable, but the Dyna S is easy to overheat if you leave the ignition turned on without running. If you send them a failed Dyna S, they might give you a tiny credit toward a new one.

I'm not saying it's the Dyna S based on your symptoms, just the probability based on other's experiences.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Re:KZ550 Cylinder 1 Down 25 Aug 2016 15:07 #739930

• GatlinM
  • User
I've got the green Dyna coils (3ohms) on now. The pair, along with the Dyna S, are a hair over 1yr old.

Going to see about getting this Ignition sent out soon, Dyna was happy to cut the price last time on my 5yr+ ignition.

• Page: