Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gerex Electronic Ign. 09 Jan 2019 05:33 #796439

• zinnco
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 0
If you can find it, I can give it a good home! My 77 LTD 1075 / smooth bore 29's always fired with the one I installed in 78. Oddly enough it was perfect when I parked the bike for the winter. The only thing different was the Battery Tender charger I hooked up. I don't know enough about electronics to point any fingers, but the circumstance is unusual!

In any case, it already has the rest of the Gerex system, so I'd like to use if I can. It also makes a nice history lesson for the younger guys.

Tom Z.
Honda MR175
(2) 1976 KZ900 LTD
1976 KZ900 LTD 1045
1977 KZ1000 LTD 1075
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gerex Electronic Ign. 09 Jan 2019 07:57 #796446

• BohicaBob
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 35
I still have a GERIX CDI I put on my 1978 KZ1000 bike in 1983. Still going strong. Yes, gapping to .065" works just fine. This bike runs 10.5 Yosh pistons, 29s, etc. By the way, when Pops Yoshimura tried one of these CDI systems, he gained 3 hp at higher RPM. Russ Collins ran this CDI on some of his drag bikes as well for a time.

Years ago I failed to check the plugs for YEARs and when I found that the bike has a slight problem starting when the engine was cold, I decided to take a look at the plugs. The gap was 0.110" on the plugs more or less, yet the motor still ran fine at higher RPM. I was impressed. I always ran GEREX coils.

GEREX had problems with its "black box" when it had it mounted under the left sidecover on the early Z1s like I did on my 73 Z1-900. The unit would over heat. That's when an exposed rear mount was included with the CDI units to mount the "black box" near the rear tail lights - I had it mounted near the right rear tail light on my '78 KZ1000 since 1983.

I used to the visit the maker of GEREX products when I lived in LA. He used to test each CDI system on a bench for 24 hours. He used a dremel to drive the rotor on the sensing plate at 10,000+ rpm. It was a hoot seeing that blue spark at the spark plugs and hearing the noise generated. It's a powerful system.

Last edit: by BohicaBob.

Gerex Electronic Ign. 09 Jan 2019 10:27 #796449

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1973
I will take a look in the next day or so and contact you.
Remember I dont have 2 good coils.
I think I might have one or two rotors and plates with pickup sensors
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Page: