Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hey, does anyone know what these are for?? 05 Aug 2016 18:00 #737591

• someonewakeuphicks
  • someonewakeuphicks's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I opened up my headlight bucket to diagnose a hazard light issue I was having and when I did I found three female bullet connectors and a female 3 pin square socket block, all disconnected with nothing in sight.

The lines in are as follows

Bullets
#1 - Brown with White Stripe and Green
#2 - Double green
#3 - Double Grey

Connector only has 2 wires coming out, green and grey

I tried to look it up on the wiring diagram but I keep getting lost (really not good with those things)

HALP!!!

Pics to show you where I'm at.
Always remember to keep the rubber side down!

Bikes
'78 KZ650c2 - Current love affair
'04 Fz6 - Current daily rider (until the KZ is finished)
'82 XJ550 Seca - RIP Little Red :(
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hey, does anyone know what these are for?? 05 Aug 2016 18:23 #737594

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Wiring diagram from the KZ650.Info site. 1978 KZ650-C2

All of that appears to be for accessories. notice that there are wires w terminals that aren't connected to anything in the left portion of the wiring diagram near the headlight & meter stuff. In the diagram I see #2 & #3 unused and the unused 2-pin connector & there is a brown/white that is open as well, but I don't see a green wire paired with the brown/white. The brown/white wire is a spare power wire. All of the other stuff seems to be for adding extra lighting to the turn signal circuit. maybe for a fairing or something?
The following user(s) said Thank You: someonewakeuphicks

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Hey, does anyone know what these are for?? 05 Aug 2016 18:28 #737595

• someonewakeuphicks
  • User
ok!!! It's starting to make sense now. I think I'm getting the hang of the diagram.

I had just started to wonder all that myself when I got the message. It must be there for one of the big goofy touring fairings they used to put on.

I guess...

Bikes

Hey, does anyone know what these are for?? 05 Aug 2016 18:29 #737596

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Does your bike have turn signals hooked up and if so, do they work.

The green is the hot signal for the LH turn signal and the Gray is for the RH side. These need to be paired with a ground which is black/yellow stripe.

Hey, does anyone know what these are for?? 05 Aug 2016 18:37 #737597

• someonewakeuphicks
  • User

Nessism wrote: Does your bike have turn signals hooked up and if so, do they work.

The green is the hot signal for the LH turn signal and the Gray is for the RH side. These need to be paired with a ground which is black/yellow stripe.

Everything is hooked up and running fine. As Martin said, it looks like this is ready wired, plug and play for something

We just dont know what

Bikes

Hey, does anyone know what these are for?? 05 Aug 2016 19:24 #737601

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Brown/white striped wires are usually for headlight ON/OFF control, but in the wiring diagram I don’t see a brown/white connected to a green wire. There is brown/white wire connection with a blue/white wire in the headlight switch (see GREEN circle). Maybe someone else can explain.

Normally the solid green wires are for the left turn signal bulbs and the solid grey are for the right turn signal bulbs. The wiring diagram shows an open green and an open grey connector (see RED circles), so these probably are fine on your bike.

The Hazard switch (see PURPLE block) is connected to the Hazard relay by the circuit colored green/orange. When the switch is operated it connects that relay to the green wire and the grey wire (see PURPLE circle) which in turn provide power to all turn signals as the relay flashes. That green wire also connects to a square connector which also has a grey wire connected to it, but like the one you show in your picture there appears to be nothing connected to the other side of the connector (see BLUE circle).

I strongly suggest you should not change any of those connections. Instead, you should see if you have power at hazard relay. The hazard relay gets power from the same circuit (coming out of the ignition switch) as the turn signal relay. So if your turn signals work that circuit is providing power to the turn signal relay and should be powering the hazard relay. If you find there is no power coming into the hazard relay you probably have a wire or connector problem. If so, you can back trace the circuit starting at the hazard relay and going toward the ignition switch.

If you have power coming into the hazard relay see if there is power coming out of it. If not the relay is bad (it can happen even to a new relay). If you have power coming out of the relay see if you have power coming into the handlebar hazard switch. If not, trace between the switch and relay. If you have power coming into the handlebar hazard switch see if you have power coming out of it. If not, the switch is dirty or broken. If you do, trace the wiring between the switch and the turn signals. Ed

Attachment 00003a-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39-40-41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-49-50-51-52-53-54-55.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Hey, does anyone know what these are for?? 07 Aug 2016 14:13 #737732

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Some models have the ability to add heated grips or vests,so I believe this may be the mystery connectors reason.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Hey, does anyone know what these are for?? 24 Aug 2016 13:00 #739770

• rollingchassis
  • User
Go to youtube and enter" kz1100 repair" by dufondutrou. I posted that video illustrating a repair related to the hazard light in the speedo meter. hope it helps.

• Page: