Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re:I think I need a new voltage regulator. 20 Jul 2016 10:51 #735593

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
I believe always on became mandatory in 81.

I've actually been messing with headlight wiring of late. I'll spare the details but the reserve system was causing major issues so I deleted it.

I'm actually planning on adding LED road lights and s second set of dual element running lights.

Besides asking for a ticket, reducing visibility with the drivers around here is a death wish.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 20 Jul 2016 15:24 #735626

• GPzMOD750
  • User
MOSFET R/R is in AAAAAAAAAND.... nothin'.

Same numbers with either type of R/R. I guess this means my stator is dying. OK. I'll start looking for a stator I know will be good.

I'll put Rick's at the top of my list Nessism. My bike budget is getting seriously tight. You can have one of the SH775s for what I paid for it. $35 shipped. And tell someone to buy some of my take off parts.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 20 Jul 2016 15:59 #735635

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2670
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

GPzMOD750 wrote: I'll put Rick's at the top of my list Nessism. My bike budget is getting seriously tight. You can have one of the SH775s for what I paid for it. $35 shipped. And tell someone to buy some of my take off parts.

PM me your paypal address and I'll take one of those SH775's off your hands.

Regarding a stator, I'd look for a new one but cheaper than a Rick's if money is tight. This ElectroSport has a 1 year warranty. That seems reasonable for $81.50 shipped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 21 Jul 2016 04:51 #735703

• GPzMOD750
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks,

I ordered it. Hopefully, I'll see some results.

I was looking at this one but red flags popped up on me. I sent Rick's an email asking about having mine rebuilt. The reply was that they no longer rebuild these stators since they offer new ones now and haven't since 2010. They don't offer warranty or returns and tell you to see the manufacturer...... And the a pic of a catalog pic doesn't instill confidence.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 21 Jul 2016 05:05 #735704

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2670
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

GPzMOD750 wrote: Thanks,

I ordered it. Hopefully, I'll see some results.

I was looking at this one but red flags popped up on me. I sent Rick's an email asking about having mine rebuilt. The reply was that they no longer rebuild these stators since they offer new ones now and haven't since 2010. They don't offer warranty or returns and tell you to see the manufacturer...... And the a pic of a catalog pic doesn't instill confidence.

That one seems sketchy. There are guys around that will rewind a stator for about that price but it's not Rick's.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 21 Jul 2016 06:00 #735711

• LesbianSeagull
  • User
  • Here to end my reverse Midas touch curse
  • Thank you received: 2
Commenting here to see how your electrosport R/R pans out. I've also got charging system issues.

Might just bite the bullet and get one from electro sport to eliminate that variable instead of using an old one. fun stuff!
Some days you're the windshield. Some days, you're the bug.

Re:I think I need a new voltage regulator. 21 Jul 2016 06:21 #735715

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Certainly, I'm keeping everyone posted.

I've decided I should have bought a new one right off. The only reason I bought the used one was because the seller supposedly checked the resistance. If he did his gear was bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LesbianSeagull

Re:I think I need a new voltage regulator. 21 Jul 2016 07:03 #735720

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
Z1's didn't have running lights. In 13 I installed them. They overtaxed the system. I went LED's and bought another good stator on eBay. Everything tested good but still had slow charging. Bought a new from z1parts. Same story. Bought another R/R from a late model KZ 1000. A little better but basically the same issue. Tried a new R/R but turned out it was made in CHINA and almost ruined my system. Shorted out within a week. Got my money back but had to pay for shipping. Put back in the 1000 R/R and am running it now. It will build up to 14.5v after a few minutes of riding. I'll buy a R/R recommended here when I can but I now know it's the rotor that's weak. I have three of them and they are 40 years old and doing the same thing. Time to Bight the bullet and spend $275 on a new one. :whistle:
Steve

Re:I think I need a new voltage regulator. 21 Jul 2016 09:16 #735738

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Got this from Rick's

"Our product has a one year warranty from the date of original purchase so we would not be able to warranty an item that has not been sold in 3-4 years. I’m sorry. L  If you are considering purchasing a rebuilt stator that is claimed to be our product you would just have to take the warranty up with the online seller."

Those guys are up in the night. I think I'll send them a link to that listing. EBay no likie fakes.

Re:I think I need a new voltage regulator. 21 Jul 2016 19:28 #735790

• GPzMOD750
  • User

swest wrote: Z1's didn't have running lights. In 13 I installed them. They overtaxed the system. I went LED's and bought another good stator on eBay. Everything tested good but still had slow charging. Bought a new from z1parts. Same story. Bought another R/R from a late model KZ 1000. A little better but basically the same issue. Tried a new R/R but turned out it was made in CHINA and almost ruined my system. Shorted out within a week. Got my money back but had to pay for shipping. Put back in the 1000 R/R and am running it now. It will build up to 14.5v after a few minutes of riding. I'll buy a R/R recommended here when I can but I now know it's the rotor that's weak. I have three of them and they are 40 years old and doing the same thing. Time to Bight the bullet and spend $275 on a new one. :whistle:
Steve

Thaks for mentioning that. Since you did I on to ebay and found a NOS KZ750 rotor for $44+$10 ship. I had to dip into my rainy day fund but I figured this wasn't going to happen again.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

Re:I think I need a new voltage regulator. 21 Jul 2016 19:32 #735792

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
Jump on it. :ohmy:
Steve

Re:I think I need a new voltage regulator. 22 Jul 2016 05:20 #735809

• GPzMOD750
  • User

swest wrote: Jump on it. :ohmy:
Steve

Don't worry, I did.

So, I'm pretty sure I'll have this charging issue licked.