Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 07 Jul 2016 10:28 #734156

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
You need something to put a load on the AC voltage from the stator. I'm not sure if you could use a DC load tester for that application.

The reason batteries are always tested under load is because a no-load test is not definitive. Much like a no-load test on a stator.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 07 Jul 2016 10:29 #734157

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

GPzMOD750 wrote: This?

That, I think, is just a passive load. To get useful data you need an active load, regulated to a user-settable voltage, that can dissipate somewhere in the range of 500 watts for a sustained duration of several minutes. That is not easy to come by, hence making one.

You can actually make a very crude one very simply, using three, 12v headlight bulbs rated at about 60 to 100 watts each (all the same). Then hookup your alternator wires to the bulbs so each phase pair lights each bulb. Then put an AC voltmeter on one of the bulbs and run the bike. Watch the voltage as you rev the bike. Don't let the voltage get above 15v AC. If the bulbs are bright at say 4000 to 6000 rpms, it's probably good. You can estimate the output based on the voltage and wattage rating of the bulbs. Then you can correlate the RPM to power output.

So one way is to use a complicated device, and the other way is to use a complicated, time consuming method, along with a bunch of math. I chose the first method since I only had to build the device once, saving time in the long run.

Ironically, after using it a few times, I stopped having charging issues, and haven't had to troubleshoot any charge issues since. For awhile it seemed like every month I was working on a Honda with charging issues. So now it just collects dust.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 07 Jul 2016 10:36 #734158

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
Maybe you should rent it out...

Or I could see if I could get the electrical engineer at work to build me one for a case of root beer (this is UT after all).

And Steve, I'm the coolest tool there is. B)

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 07 Jul 2016 10:48 #734159

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Well, the design was determined by what industrial parts I could pull out of the dumpster at work, so it is not exactly the simplest/best way to do it, but it works as intended. The stuff is really robust, but not cheap. Those parts were not made in China. They are about 20 to 30 years old and were used in machines meant to be powered on nearly continuously for twenty years, some now 25 years. The mechanical parts of the machines wore out. That, and obsolescence, is why they were dumpstered. I would not have built that if I didn't get the parts free.

The schematic is there, but if you have engineers willing, I'm sure they could come up with a simpler and/or better design, but who pays for the parts? :)

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 08 Jul 2016 09:11 #734241

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Ok, stupid question.

Shouldn't a drop in voltage be expected as the load drops? I.e. the batt becomes fully charged and using low beam.

As long as the batt remains above 12v after a run wouldn't that be normal?

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 08 Jul 2016 09:58 #734243

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2609
On my volt meter in the dash I made, when the battery is fully charged I'm getting 14.5 volts running at HWY speeds. It shows the charge that's in the system.
Steve

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 08 Jul 2016 10:06 #734245

• GPzMOD750
  • User

swest wrote: On my volt meter in the dash I made, when the battery is fully charged I'm getting 14.5 volts running at HWY speeds. It shows the charge that's in the system.
Steve

What about around town?

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 08 Jul 2016 10:21 #734246

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I use all my lights so it takes a while for it to come up. Once there it will stay until I shut it down. I start it with the lights on, the process begins all over again. If you're putting out 13-14 volts, I wouldn't worry about it. :whistle:
Steve

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 08 Jul 2016 13:20 #734268

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

GPzMOD750 wrote: Ok, stupid question.

Shouldn't a drop in voltage be expected as the load drops? I.e. the batt becomes fully charged and using low beam.

As long as the batt remains above 12v after a run wouldn't that be normal?

The regulator is purely trying to maintain the average voltage. on the system. That means it will let all of the alternator power pass through as long as the system voltage does not get above 14.2 ~ 14.5v. As the battery gets charged, it will use less current, but will still be held at the 14.2~14.5 volt range. But that's ok. It will barely be taking any current.

The failure mode on the old reg/recs is that it will start to reduce the output even when the voltage is below 14.2 ~ 14.5v. The output will slowly get lower and lower. Eventually the output will be below 12v. This means you would be running purely on battery, after awhile, and can end up with a totally dead battery. A battery needs about 12.9v to 13v just to break even and maintain charge.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 08 Jul 2016 15:39 #734279

• GPzMOD750
  • User
I'm sending this R/R back. Coming home it was reading barely above 12V,

I don't care if it is the R/R malfunctioning but it has failed all the static and bench tests i can find. The seller has not been helpful at all and I know they have more available.

i am starting to look for a stator but haven't settles on one yet.

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 08 Jul 2016 16:16 #734285

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Have you tried your stock one?
Steve

I think I need a new voltage regulator. 08 Jul 2016 16:36 #734286

• GPzMOD750
  • User

swest wrote: Have you tried your stock one?
Steve

I wouldn't expect anything different from it, Besides i spliced the connector onto the new loom so I wouldn't have another wiring mishap.