Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 02 Jun 2016 06:14 #729629

• BadMonk
  • BadMonk's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Cleaning the OEM switch made no difference. I think a simple on/off switch is what I need to use for this bike. Can you enlighten me please as to what the Bare Bones diagram should look like with such a simple switch? Thank you very much!
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 03 Jun 2016 17:01 #729920

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
On the diagram, notice the 20a fuse has a white wire to the switch. Notice the switch then goes to a brown wire that goes to many things. A simple switch would connect/disconnect that white wire to the brown wire.

Don't use a cheap switch. Don't use a plastic vinyl switch. Use a metal/epoxy toggle switch rated for 20 to 30 amps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BadMonk

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 05 Jun 2016 15:58 #730209

• BadMonk
  • User
I picked up a universal type die-cast housing switch from Pollack, model 31-602. It’s two-position, two-terminal. Pollack has been around for a long time. Hopefully it works with the bike.

Attachment 44065FL.gif not found

Loudvhx – Sorry for being thick skulled. I’m working on it. Am I interpreting your instruction correctly when I say this? The fused white wire goes to one terminal on the switch and the other terminal is wired directly to the brown wire. So, it’s power in and power out on that simple switch?

I dismantled the OEM harness today to see what it takes to turn it into a Bare Bones harness. Now I thought the heavy black lines on the OEM wiring diagram meant the wires are bundled together in that configuration. They are/were not. So I ‘worked’ on it for my own edification. Who knows maybe I’m picking up a little bit here and there…maybe not.

There were a few broken or semi-broken wires. All the wires are dried out and brittle. Some work had been done on the alternator – rectifier wires. Most of the pins were loose.

Attachment MidRearSplice(800x597).jpg not found

1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL
Attachments:

Last edit: by BadMonk. Reason: photos

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 07 Jun 2016 05:07 #730383

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I'm out of town so might be late in replies.

Yes, power in, power out.
I think you have it correct, but if you can modify the diagram, (posted in mattylight), that would be a more sure way of knowing.

Yes, every old harness I've dissected had quite a few bad spots, either broken entirely and just touching, or hanging by a thread. You can see the bad spots as they appear as a bump in the wire insulation. On bad harnesses, it will be easier to rewire from scratch than to troubleshoot all of the intermittent breaks.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 07 Jun 2016 15:37 #730462

• BadMonk
  • User
Here's what I have for the revised diagram. Maybe I'm understanding one very basic thing or two...maybe.

This is definitely a slow, step-by-step process for me. Learning curve included. The next thing will be to figure out the connectors from the alternator thru the rectifier and into the igniter. Not just the average bullet or spade connections. First, hopefully the diagram is good. Thanks.

Attachment ZNWiringDiagramRevised6716001.jpg not found

1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL
Attachments:

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 07 Jun 2016 21:30 #730509

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
That looks right.

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 08 Jun 2016 13:08 #730599

• BadMonk
  • User
Loudhvx.

While working out wire lengths, connectors and stuff, I looked at the diagram and have a question. Two wires (Black/Yellow and Black/White) connect at the igniter. Originally, the Brown wire off the rectifier connected to the igniter, like the B/Y wire does coming off the rectifier. However, in the diagram, the Black/White connects with Black/Yellow so it's essentially another the Black/Yellow, right? That makes two B/Y wires going to the igniter. I"m def not trying to be a pain...it just seems odd to this very unknowing brain of mine. Can you please let me know? Thank you.

EDIT: My bad. I was getting balled up looking at too many wires for too long. The brown off the rectifier did not go to the Igniter. My apologies...I don't know what I was looking at or thinking.
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL

Last edit: by BadMonk. Reason: Oops

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 12 Jun 2016 17:31 #731105

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
The igniter does have two connections to ground. One is the normal, permanent ground for the power. The other is for the interlock/safety system. Here it is also permanently grounded to bypass the safety system.

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 13 Jun 2016 06:31 #731179

• BadMonk
  • User
Just when I think that I may be getting it, I end up getting balled up. Thanks for the explanation. It took a good while for your post to sink in but the light bulb finally went on.

Connectors are on order and should be here this week!
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 21 Jun 2016 10:36 #732260

• BadMonk
  • User
It's taken a little while to move forward. Mainly because I was busy finding and ordering the correct plastic connectors for a new harness that works with the igniter and rectifier. Anyhow, that section of the harness is now about finished. Here's what I have.

Attachment index.jpeg not found

After it's fitted exactly right, I'll move to the rest of the harness that doesn't need pinned connectors. Slowly but surely, this bike is going to start and run.
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL
Attachments:

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 22 Jul 2016 08:02 #735838

• BadMonk
  • User
It's been a while since posting on this thread for assistance. I've been dealing with some medical issues - as usual - so getting the bike wired has been a slow process. Hope this still works/posts.

UPDATE: I have the wires in place and connected. It turns over but won't start. Here's what I know so far.

No spark at the spark plug.
On the primary side of the coils, there are 12.4 volts going into the positive terminals. But there's only 0.4 volts going into the negative terminals. All four primary terminals should have 12 volts, right? Does this means that something is grounding that shouldn't be grounding? I haven't checked the resistance anywhere on the coils yet.
I checked for continuity at the pickup coils - igniter connection. There's none, zero, zip. I cross checked each wire with teach of the four possible connecting wires and I get no continuity with anything.

No idea what all this means. Is the igniter bad? Did I mess up with the wiring because the schematic doesn't jive with my notes at the coils? My notes and pics clearly have two red wires, one black, one green. The schematic has one red, two black, one green.
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 25 Jul 2016 09:11 #736156

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
When I was out of town, I was looking at that diagram on my phone. But now on a computer, I see the coil wiring is wrong.

The power feed to the coils is drawn wrong in your original diagram, and since it was a diagram from a manual, I didn't look at it closely enough for errors.

Sorry I didn't spot that sooner. I'm sure that has been a huge headache. It's strange for a manual to mess up that part of the diagram.

I can't confirm the pickup wiring, and can only hope the original diagram was correct.

I will try to fix it.

Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.