Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Auxiliary lights/Headlight upgrade 04 Jun 2016 07:26 #729991

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 635
Was just looking at the X-treme Vision bulb, then read the product review below:

Disappointing

The hype for this product is far from justified. From what the package says, "X-treme Vision", it means nothing. And what does "brightest available" actually refer to? What about "100" more light than standard...standard meaning what exactly?

The proof is in the pudding, as they say, and there is absolutely -0- proof of anything better with this item. In fact, as a test, I initially replaced only the 1 burned out original bulb and ran with the other original bulb. Absolutely no difference in the brightness, or look, or color. They looked exactly the same! People need to understand all these halogen bulbs have basically the same Kelvin temperature, and therefore no difference in color.

I could have just as well went to my local auto store and picked up any brand of replacement halogen headlamps for possibly even less cost, and had exactly the same light appearance.

And if the wattage is supposed to be more that standard bulbs, maybe these bulbs will actually fail earlier than the standard bulbs. Time will have to tell that.
1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Auxiliary lights/Headlight upgrade 04 Jun 2016 08:08 #730001

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
  • Thank you received: 13

daveo wrote: Absolutely no difference in the brightness, or look, or color. They looked exactly the same!

This is correct. Some bulbs are better than others, and colored bulbs are a waste of money, but you will not notice a big difference switching to different bulbs. Just a lighter wallet.

HIDs or LEDs (both with a proper reflector/lens) are what you need for any real improvements in lighting. I am waiting for LED headlight assemblies to come down in price. Until then I will keep using Sylvania Extra Vision bulbs and turn off the headlight while the bike warms up.
1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

Auxiliary lights/Headlight upgrade 04 Jun 2016 08:44 #730004

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 635
Thinking of a SilverStar Ultra in there pretty soon.
I'd like to have a switch for the headlight. What kind of on/off switch would work best for that?
1982 KZ1100-A2

Auxiliary lights/Headlight upgrade 04 Jun 2016 09:27 #730011

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

daveo wrote: Thinking of a SilverStar Ultra in there pretty soon.
I'd like to have a switch for the headlight. What kind of on/off switch would work best for that?

You may be able to retrofit the right handlebar controls from an earlier model that had a headlight ON/OFF switch. Here's a picture of the control on my 1977 KZ650-C1. Ed

Attachment 00003d-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Auxiliary lights/Headlight upgrade 04 Jun 2016 09:29 #730012

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2624
z1partsinc has them new. $50
Steve