Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000 speedo seals 27 Apr 2016 12:32 #723293

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
doh. They're listed as dampers in the diagrams. If nothing is available, maybe use window/door insulation --- the stuff that comes in rolls & has the adhesive backing. just a stab in the dark.

my mistake. doh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ1000 speedo seals 28 Apr 2016 07:33 #723425

• Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 24
Looks like I'm going to have to. I found the part number that fits both meters -- 92075-1315 -- but unfortunately I can't seem to find anyone who has them in stock, not even ebay. Also the places that do have prices listed are putting them at about $24 each.

The window foam sounds like a good idea, and that way I can get exactly the right thickness to fit. I tried to start working on that retaining ring last night, but it's an awkward angle. I'm thinking something like a small screwdriver, but with a 90-degree angle bent in the tip, would work a lot better for getting it started. Will have to see if I can hammer something out tonight.
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

KZ1000 speedo seals 28 Apr 2016 08:00 #723430

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Are you talking about the gasket where the ring is? If you pry up the ring in one spot then it will be easier to pry it up all around little by little until you get it up enough to pry the face off. The gasket will be stuck si I use a jewelers screwdrinver to tap with a hammer, then pry it up.
Steve

KZ1000 speedo seals 28 Apr 2016 08:11 #723432

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
It's a chrome ring that crimps the face of the gauge together... Yeah I read your technique and the other things suggested above. My tiny screwdriver can get under the edge of the ring but doesn't seem to have enough torque to really start moving it.

What I was thinking of for hammering out a tool for this is the tool they use to open paint cans. You know how it's flat but it has that bend on the end so you can just roll it forward to pull up the edge of the can a little at a time? I thought if I hammered some 1/8" rod flat and gave it an angle like that, then it should slip under the edge of the ring and let me work it up fairly quickly without putting much stress on the metal.

Picked up my wheels from the dealer last night. Had to check pics and diagrams, finally found my front axle this morning (been looking for it all week). Unfortunately we'll have rain all weekend, so no painting the wheels yet. Gives me time to work on these meters though.
1981 KZ1000-JK1

KZ1000 speedo seals 28 Apr 2016 08:20 #723434

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I found if you can get the ring up where the groove is on the side if the case a sharp edge screw driver will bight enough to start prying it up. I work my way around then make as many passes I need. It's slow tedious work. The hardest part is the gasket. Once you get in between it and the two cases, it comes apart. I have my old Tach apart and got into the "guts." If the axis is worn out, you're "flogging a dead horse." I'll put up pics later.
Steve

KZ1000 speedo seals 28 Apr 2016 08:34 #723435

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
I believe both gauges work just fine. The only reason I'm taking them apart is due to the screw that fell out, and repainting the cases. Certainly a minor repair, but it's going to take a lot of work to get that far. Maybe I can mask off that ring to paint the tach case, it doesn't really need to come apart.
1981 KZ1000-JK1

KZ1000 speedo seals 28 Apr 2016 08:37 #723437

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I would. I bought new OEM faces on eBay. Looked great but worthless if they don't work right. :dry:
Steve

KZ1000 speedo seals 28 Apr 2016 09:22 #723445

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Don't over tighten the screw on the face plate. I cracked one that way. Maybe a dab of lock tight on the threads.
Steve

KZ1000 speedo seals 28 Apr 2016 09:25 #723446

• MDZ1rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
Getting the initial bite to remove the chrome ring can be a challenge. You need a good sharp edged screw driver and lots of patience and persistence. Once you get it started, its just working slow and steady. I had a difficult time holding the gauge steady. It wanted to flip on it's side every time I applied pressure.
MY TIP: I took my gauge to my local home improvement store and found a PVC flange fitting that worked perfect as holder. A plumber saw it later and asked why I had a toilet mounting base on my work bench. I guess that's what it is. The inner diameter of the flange is just slightly larger than the upper gauge cover (black part). Secure the flange (clamp it to your work bench or screw it to a piece of plywood) and drop in the in gauge face down. Add some tape around the flange rim if you need a tighter fit. This holds the gauge securely in place with full access to backside of the ring. You can now use both hands and more pressure to work the ring open. Some speedo's have a side knob for the odometer reset. You'll have to drill a hole or cut a slot in the flange for that type.
I've done 3 set of gauges so far. While its still not an easy job, the holder does make it easier.

KZ1000 speedo seals 28 Apr 2016 09:33 #723447

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
That's a good idea. A 3" closet ring, that's what we call it. Now why didn't I think of that? :blush:
Steve

KZ1000 speedo seals 28 Apr 2016 09:57 #723451

• Shdwdrgn
  • User
swest: definitely going to use a dab of locktight on the screws, don't want this happening again. :)

MDZ1rider: interesting idea, I've used those for other projects as well, might even have one laying around on the workbench.

NOW we're getting snow. :unsure: This is not helpful!
1981 KZ1000-JK1

KZ1000 speedo seals 28 Apr 2016 10:05 #723453

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Cold and windy here with sprinkles. Just polished the bike a little. :blink: Next week it's going to be HOT. :pinch:
Steve

• Page: