Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Starter Slipping ? 25 Apr 2016 18:23 #722946

• kzdcw
  • kzdcw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
Steve,, My Cam Chain Tensioner in the back of the cylinders below the carbs. definitely has the locknut and bolt on the left side of it. I'm sure it's an automatic one with the spring inside. I have a FSM revised in Sept. 77' and on page 14 on the engine adjustment procedures, it's exactly the one pictured in the procedure to adjust the cam chain. But I'll try to take a picture to post. My bike was produced 3/77.

Even though that stater clutch kit is marketed thru Ideal Engine Parts LTD in Taiwan, it's less than 1/2 the cost of Kawasaki NOS Japan. Makes me wonder about the quality though?
77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kzdcw.

Starter Slipping ? 25 Apr 2016 18:27 #722947

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2619
If it has a long bolt and a lock nut on the side, it is a manual one. For $20 I don't see how you can go wrong.
Steve

Starter Slipping ? 25 Apr 2016 18:39 #722950

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
The adjuster is auto.
So READ YOUR MANUAL FIRST.
Loosen the locknut, unscrew the bolt a bit and the spring loaded plunger pushes the roller bracket and wheel into the chain.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Starter Slipping ? 25 Apr 2016 18:40 #722951

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
I guess I need to understand the terminology better. Even though the adjustment procedures call to stop at TDC when adjusting the cam chain, I just thought when you loosen the locknut and back out the bolt, the spring pushes the plunger which in turns contact the chain under tension. Therefore I thought the tensioner was referred to as automatic.

Will order clutch stater kit tomorrow as well a 16mm bolt/puller.

Thanks Again of all the Help !!!
77' KZ1000A

Starter Slipping ? 25 Apr 2016 18:50 #722953

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I don't depend on that. I turn the crank to a spot it won't turn backwards, then loosen the bolt. You can hear it snap into place, that is if there's any adjustment left.
Steve

Starter Slipping ? 26 Apr 2016 18:19 #723144

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Missionkz, I hope when I get the starter clutch sorted out, I'll be able to inspect the cam chain upper guide closer and see if there is a lot of wear? I'm sure the rubber dampers it sits on are probably worn, so not sure if they would need to be replaced? I'll know more when I pull the cam chain adjuster and see where the plunger is positioned? Not sure what it means to turn the crank to a spot where it won't turn backwards? Seems to me you can always turn the crank backwards at even given point but maybe I'm wrong?
77' KZ1000A

Starter Slipping ? 26 Apr 2016 19:07 #723151

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The compression has a tendency to move the crank back if not moved past TDC. You can feel it. At that point all the slack will be at the rear of the engine. At that point you loosen the bolt and can hear it snap forward taking up the slack.
Steve

Starter Slipping ? 26 Apr 2016 19:55 #723161

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Steve, So I assume while your rotating the crank clockwise past TDC, which point do you stop turning the crank in that direction before you make the adjustment on the tensioner? I'm assuming while your turning the crank clockwise with a wrench, you would release the forward clockwise pressure on the wrench and physically see or feel the wrench while on the 17mm nut move counterclockwise or backwards?
77' KZ1000A

Starter Slipping ? 26 Apr 2016 20:40 #723167

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Yes, go past TDC and stop. If you feel it turning back keep going until it doesn't.
Steve

Starter Slipping ? 26 Apr 2016 21:22 #723177

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Steve, When you say " if you feel it turning back keep going until it doesn't" You mean when the crank wants to go counterclockwise ( back ) opposite of forward clockwise motion? So really as the FSM states it doesn't have to align at TDC marks as indicated in the procedure?
77' KZ1000A

Starter Slipping ? 26 Apr 2016 21:24 #723178

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
One cylinder will have compression, that's why I do it that way. TTYL
Steve

Starter Slipping ? 30 Apr 2016 08:28 #723752

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Steve, Today I was able to pull the starter clutch assembly off the bike. To remove the starter bolt, I used a Harbor freight 3/4" wide rubber strap wrench. Worked perfectly enough to hold tension on the rotor to keep it turning. Next I used the ball bearing and bolt/puller method you outline and with strap wrench again, came right off.

Now here's what I have. First the 3 clutch allen head bolts were loose. Removed them and threads are gone near the top of the socket. Though they will tighten down, like to replace them. Does anyone have them or can they be found at a Hardware Store? Kawasaki thru Parzilla shows them available # 120P0816., but can they be found anywhere else? They are an 8mm x 16mm allen head bolt.

The dowel pin that locates the clutch to the rotor was in 2 pieces, so that needs to be replaced. It's a 6mmx22mm pin but is Not Available, part obsolete? Where can I find one of those?

One of the stater clutches small hollow roll pins that the spring goes inside off was missing a side piece of it. All 3 springs where of different lengths, but have I already the rebuild kit for that.

All of the other pieces appear to be in good shape.

So, this is where I'm at. Dowel Pin and Socket-Bolts. Anyone out there have access to them?
77' KZ1000A