Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Starter Slipping ? 22 Apr 2016 19:32 #722460

• kzdcw
  • kzdcw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
Steve, Does the Ball Bearing need to be Hardened ?
77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter Slipping ? 22 Apr 2016 19:34 #722462

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
They are hardened to some degree. They're bearings. :lol: Have you just tried the bolt first?
Steve

Starter Slipping ? 24 Apr 2016 17:12 #722760

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Steve, Are you Sure it's a 3/8" Ball Bearing you use ? 16mm bolt equals 5/8" .
77' KZ1000A

Starter Slipping ? 24 Apr 2016 17:55 #722770

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
It doesn't have to be 5/8 in fact you don't want to mung up the threads on the rotor ether. Also if too big there won't be enough threads to grab onto. Have you tried just the bolt? Generally I don't need the ball.
Steve

Starter Slipping ? 24 Apr 2016 18:22 #722776

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Haven't tried anything yet. Just awaiting for parts to come. Was just trying to have everything here before I tackle the job. I did drop by ACE Hardware and picked up both 3/8" and 1/2" steel ball bearings.

Originally I described what I was experiencing when starting the bike with the electric starter. I just started it again to make sure I'm hearing what I think is happening.When you hit the stater button, the motor turns over but will appear to be experiencing a gear engagement problem, then a brief gear wine. When this happens, I release the starter button then try again until the motor will start the bike without skipping or wining as before.

If it's not the starter clutch that I'm hearing even though the bike does start with electric starter, would there be another problem I should be aware of that may be causing this problem?
77' KZ1000A

Last edit: by kzdcw.

Starter Slipping ? 24 Apr 2016 18:49 #722784

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Has it been sitting? It is gear driven. They last a long time on the big fours unless messed with. Might be able to clean it up and use it. Springs might be collapsed but I doubt it.

Starter Slipping ? 24 Apr 2016 19:01 #722787

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
This bike started as a project that had not been registered since 1988. I purchased it from a co-worker who claims he obtained it over 10 years ago but never did anything with it. So to make a long story short, I put it back together and went thru all the electrical and mechanical issues. Purchased a lot of used parts from Brian KZ10006 and with a lot of support from the Forum members got it running pretty good. The biggest thing was that there was a lot of small metal shavings in the old dirty black oil when I changed it. So who knows? Bike as it sat before looked like the old saying goes " Rode Hard and Put Away Wet". Valve adjustment to spec, Points and Timing correct, Carb. totally rebuilt, Cam chain set. Bike is a little noisey inside but who knows?

Bike is a Chain Driven 77' KZ1000A.
77' KZ1000A

Starter Slipping ? 24 Apr 2016 19:04 #722788

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
How are your cam chain rollers?
Steve

Starter Slipping ? 24 Apr 2016 19:47 #722796

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Steve, The motor was complete just sitting in the frame less carbs. and exhaust. So when I first changed the oil, I pulled the valve cover and visually looked at the cams, cam sprockets, cam chain, and upper cam chain guide. Rotated the engine several times and couldn't see any visual damages to any of the above items. I wouldn't know without pulling the head or tearing the motor apart how the front cam chain guide, sprocket and roller look like. As well had chain tensioner and lower cam chain roller guide assembly look too.

I did replace all the cover gaskets. When I pulled the pan I did notice a couple of smaller metal pieces inside about the thickness of a thin feeler gauge and about a 1/4" in dimeter. Have no idea what?

Removed the oil pump assembly and inspected.Appeared to be fine. Replaced the oil o-rings. Nothing looked out of the ordinary from underneath.

Bike shifts into gears fine and doesn't jump out of them. Bike appears to get a little noisier when accelerating to higher speeds? Will try to take it out for a little run and try to determine where the noise might be coming from?
77' KZ1000A

Starter Slipping ? 24 Apr 2016 20:26 #722800

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
OK next question, was the chain adjuster plunger fully extended? You can't really see the lower rollers unless the head is off.
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

Starter Slipping ? 24 Apr 2016 21:12 #722804

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Bad center idler roller.
Steve

Attachments:

Starter Slipping ? 25 Apr 2016 04:42 #722820

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Steve, I guess what your saying is to remove the outside self adjusting cam chain tensioner without re-setting it's adjustment and see if the internal plunger is out all the way? If I recall, I changed that gasket earlier to make sure it didn't leak oil there and the plunger assembly looked good.

As far as the upper cam chain guide assembly, it looks like I can move without disturbing anything else like removing cams, chain etc. ?. Doesn't look like Z! Ent. has a Stock one available? Any recommendations on another one to use if this assembly is bad?

Would be Great if the Starter Clutch or Upper Cam Chain guide would fix the problems.
77' KZ1000A