Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

cleaning contacts 08 Feb 2016 04:34 #709933

• MDZ1rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
The switches do have a lot of little pieces and parts, but they're not going to fly out when you open them up. Some may fall out as you disassemble. Take pictures at each step. Work over light colored Terry towel. If anything does fall out, the towel keeps them from bouncing or rolling out of sight and makes them easy to spot. If a spring or dent ball falls out, figure out where it came from before proceeding.
Depending upon the age and weather exposure of the switches, you may have some wires break or come loose. If you are not experienced soldering electrical contacts/components, take it to an electronics repair shop. Excess heat can ruin the contacts. Not enough will be a poor joint that won't last.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cleaning contacts 08 Feb 2016 04:46 #709939

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2619
I bought a repro left hand control for mine. Not happy with it. I still have my old one and will repair it some day. The right hand side the kill switch was cracked and destroyed. I rode with it bypassed for years. While waiting for the parts to put the bike back on the road after 15 years, I took it apart, crazy glued it then built it up on the back with JB weld. Once cured, I filed and sanded it back into shape paying close attention to the flat contact area. That was 8/13, it still works now. B)

cleaning contacts 08 Feb 2016 07:03 #709958

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It takes a lot of spray to get the grease off entirely, and it seems to have a way of finding its way back in after cleaning. The spray liquifies it, but doesn't always remove it entirely, so sometimes the liquified grease finds its way back in. If you have the time, I suppose it could eventually be cleaned off entirely. I spent hours on a harness without much success. Eventually, I figured out it was much faster to cut and re-crimp new connectors on while the customer is waiting. I don't want him to get halfway home and find the problem still exists. If the wires are too short for that, I will still try the spray as there is not other quick alternative.

If everything is working, you could just leave it as is, and fix it if it becomes a problem. Some connections may never become a problem.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

cleaning contacts 17 Feb 2016 08:29 #711075

• jertho
  • jertho's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I haven't got back to this project since the last post. When I do I' ll not use any more grease on the metal connections. I didn't use a lot to begin with and I had not done the headlight connections yet so maybe I won't have much trouble cleaning off the rest. I haven't used any on the switches yet either.
Thanks everyone, Jerry
1978 kz750 twin

cleaning contacts 17 Feb 2016 13:46 #711131

• spdygon
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 117
I use a spray for electronic contacts. You can find a can at any auto parts store.
After cleaning I do use a little grease so the switches move freely..
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

• Page: